Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > gorickey, do you have any offers from any teams yet?

gorickey, do you have any offers from any teams yet?
Malt Magics
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 03:52 AM

just wondering. I think you still got some gas left in the tank.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 04:43 PM

Holy sweet Moses of Mary, here I am in the Lounge all damn day and I have missed this thread entirely...wow, I feel honored...

Anyway, Rickey doesn't have any offers on the table as far as Rickey knows quite yet. Independent League route is where Rickey will play for Rickey. BUT, I am sure, as always, somebody will pick up Rickey to play later in the season due to injury and to have some "Rickey flare" on the basepaths...

Rickey says thanks.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 05:06 PM

I'm not even sure I understood what I just read.....

benb
Feb 27, 2004, 05:20 PM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
I'm not even sure I understood what I just read.....

Imagine typing it...

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 05:45 PM

Maybe Rickey should come back to the Yankees. Maybe Rickey could even talk Uncle George into giving him a guaranteed contract with a no trade clause.

Rickey would be a breath of fresh air in what is looking to be a rather no-fun clubhouse.

Then again there was that incident with Bobby Bo and that infamous cardgame back in 99...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
Then again there was that incident with Bobby Bo and that infamous cardgame back in 99...
Rickey contributed heavily that season, and Rickey even hit the decisive HR against the Reds in the Wild Card playoff game to get then into the Playoffs...what people don't know, is that Rickey probably did that EVERY game...

Why? Because Rickey can.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 06:05 PM

I sense an obsession stronger than most people here have for Apple.

That's not healthy.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
I sense an obsession stronger than most people here have for Apple.

That's not healthy.

gorickey = One sick puppy.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
gorickey = One sick puppy.
Agreed.

Almost like the movie The Fan with Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Almost like the movie The Fan with Robert De Niro and Wesley Snipes.
Almost, but I prefer to think of it as like the movie "Little Big League (1994)" where tiny Luke Edwards takes over the Minnesota Twins after his grandfather passes away and leaves the team to his grandson. Luke is in charge of the front office as well and was actually pulled out of class during school one day to find out that the almighty Rickey Henderson was interested in the Twins...

Great scene.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 10:04 PM

Jimmy will see you around! DON'T TOUCH JIMMY!

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2004, 08:34 AM

Ricky got any more records to break - other than age related ones?

I personally would like to see him as the first base coach for the Yankees one day.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
Ricky got any more records to break - other than age related ones?

I personally would like to see him as the first base coach for the Yankees one day.
No, not really...he is 3 shy of 300 HR's which is killing him I am sure as he wants 300 badly, but that's about it...

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 03:06 PM

So who gets your attention these days goricky?

Who's got that Ricky swagger thesse days? Gotta love Soriano, but it's not the same.

Adopt-A-Yankee

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:

Who's got that Ricky swagger thesse days? Gotta love Soriano, but it's not the same.
Hmmm, good question...nobody has that sort of "flare" at the lead-off spot, not even Soriano; however, he is one incredible player for sure! I used to think that Kenny Lofton was the next Rickey Henderson, but that hasn't happened...very disappointing...

Bonds is definitely the closest to having the flare/cocky attitude of Rickey, but even more extreme at times if you ask me...

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 08:44 PM

Hello,

Wow, I never knew THE Rickey the base steal king post here in this forum, or his friend. I enjoyed watching Rickey play last season because I've too always felt that he still has some gas left to play in the bigs. Even though I didn't like the idea of him playing for the Yankees since I'm a huge Twins fan, but when Rickey is at bat, I'll always pull for him no matter what team he's playing against. If only Twins would sign Rickey and have his 300 homerun happen in Minnesota or as a Twins, than that would really make me happy.

Best of luck to you this season Rickey, and get that 300th homerun!!!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Wow, I never knew THE Rickey the base steal king post here in this forum, or his friend.
"The" Rickey doesn't post here; however, a devoted fan does to say the least...

I'd love for Rickey to be a Twin...please call the GM and make it happen...

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by paully dub:

The closest thing to Rickey these days is Shannon Stewart, a good combination of power and speed (but I bet nobitacu aready knew that).

Lofton never had the power, and Soriano doesn't have the on base percentage. Soriano better shape up or else he'll wear out his welcome in Texas. Juan Pierre isn't bad, but he has no power.

Bonds is Bonds, and like his father Bobby. Bobby was the original who combined speed and power, but he was underrated in his day. Barry doesn't run anymore. He has hamstring issues.

Besides Bonds, all those mentioned need to raise their on base percentages to be the quality leadoff man that Rickey was. One of Rickey's contemporaries was one Tim Raines. If it wasn't for Rickey, maybe we'd be talking about Raines.

There will never be a Rickey again, or at least not for sometime, because the stolen base is a lost art.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Malt Magics:
There will never be a Rickey again, or at least not for sometime, because the stolen base is a lost art.
Amen. And let's remember it's more then just the stolen bases. It's the all-time leader in walks/lead-off homers (doubling Bobby Bond's record), while still getting over 3,000+ hits (think about that...amazing)...it's the ALL TIME RUNS leader, the singlest greatest achievement of his career, far more important than SB's and he'll agree....but simply put, nobody will ever accomplish what Rickey has again....

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Amen. And let's remember it's more then just the stolen bases. It's the all-time leader in walks/lead-off homers (doubling Bobby Bond's record), while still getting over 3,000+ hits (think about that...amazing)...it's the ALL TIME RUNS leader, the singlest greatest achievement of his career, far more important than SB's and he'll agree....but simply put, nobody will ever accomplish what Rickey has again....
It's just not fair that Rickey isn't getting the attention he deserves right now from what he has achieved in his career...
Rickey would be a great pickup by the Twins right now because it would be inexpensive as well as a huge help to the young players on the Twins, not to mention being able to go out and just steal base when needed. Since Twins are a running team that scores by doing the little things, he would be a great help and great fit to the Twins.

P.S. I e-mailed our GM Terry Ryan about it, I'll post any replies he might write back.

Ming
( Last edited by nobitacu; Feb 29, 2004 at 01:02 PM. )
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

milkcrate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 01:01 PM

I always thought Lenny Dykstra, when he played for the Phils came pretty close to Ricky. Maybe not on stolen bases, but lead-off hitter with power (lots of lead off homeruns), great on base percentage, and basically carried the team on his back. His performance in '93, single handedly propelled the Phillies into the World Series.

I know it may be a little blasphemous to make this kind of comparison, but if you saw what he did in the World Series vs. Toronto, you'd be more inclined to agree. He was simply amazing. When the Phils needed a homerun to stay in the game, he delivered. Talk about clutch hitting. Talk about being the spark of a team. I specifically remember his performance in that 15-14 Phillies loss.

This is in the same way that Ricky can take over a game and carry the load on his back; do more than what could be asked of any man and deliver.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by milkcrate:
I always thought Lenny Dykstra, when he played for the Phils came pretty close to Ricky. Maybe not on stolen bases, but lead-off hitter with power (lots of lead off homeruns), great on base percentage, and basically carried the team on his back. His performance in '93, single handedly propelled the Phillies into the World Series.
Ironic you mentioned that series in '93 as the Blue Jays picked up Rickey from Oakland just for the playoff run to be their leadoff hitter, though he didn't prove to be the biggest success in the series, he was the guy on second who scored the tying run off Carter's famous homer, he got on base by a walk...

And yes, Lenny "Nails" Dykstra was a badass that year...no doubt about it! Great player.

milkcrate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 09:29 AM

That's right. How could I have forgotten that.

Oh wait, I know. I'm a Phillies fan. I must have blocked that out of my memory.

/shakes fist at Mitch Williams

Forum Links
Forum Rules