Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > JFK Assasination Remembrance 11/22/63

JFK Assasination Remembrance 11/22/63
marden
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 04:48 AM

JFK ASSASINATION REMEMBRANCE 11/22/63

Forty three years ago today President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was shot and killed and America and the world was forever changed.

We are still pondering, studying and debating the who's what's where's, when's and why's of his death these many years later and we are no closer to the final truth than we were then.

Anyone with memories, thoughts, feelings or questions they'd like to share or ask, I hope your posts will be respected by all.

Below is a link to a site with audio files of the local Dallas radio news (KLIF-AM) coverage of the event starting before the shooting was announced on the air and ending after he was finally declared dead.

Also at this site are many other audio and text files covering the public career of JFK and I consider this a real treasure chest find. I have listened to the KLIF audio before, but there are also some tapes I have NEVER before heard.

NBC TV network news coverage of death of the President as it happened.

Again this is a treasure trove of history.

The NBC TV recordings are marked "The Kennedy Files A - D" I suggest you download them and listen to your download although you can stream it from the site.

Internet Archive: Details: JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY - NOVEMBER 22ND, 1963 : COMPLETE NBC NEWS COVERAGE : JFK Historical Coverage, 1917-1963

This is not a political subject as much as a historical one and that is why it is not in the P/L.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 04:57 AM

KLIF Top 40 Survey - November 23, 1963

chip-hp
11-24-2003, 08:45 AM
This is the Top 40 on Dallas' #1 radio station the day after President Kennedy was assassinated ...

1. Everybody - - Tommy Roe
2. Since I Fell For You - - Lenny Welch
3. I'm Leaving It Up To You - - Dale & Grace
4. Deep Purple - - Nino Tempo & April Stevens
5. Be True To Your School - - The Beach Boys
6. We Belong Together - - Jimmy Velvet (ABC-Par)
7. Drip Drop - - Dion
8. Dominique - - The Sing Nun
9. Bossa Nova Baby/Witchcraft - - Elvis Presley
10. Blue Diamond - - Gene Summers (Donnybrook)
11. Maria Elena - - Los Indios Tabajaras
12. Louie, Louie - - The Kingsmen
13. It's All Right - - The Impressions
14. Walking Proud - - Steve Lawrence
15. Misery - - Dynamites (Big Top)
16. Funny How Time Slips Away - - Johnny Tillotson
17. Wonderful Summer - - Robin Ward (Dot)
18. 500 Miles Away From Home - - Bobby Bare
19. That Sunday, That Summer - - Nat King Cole
20. She's A Fool - - Lesley Gore
21. Hey Little Girl - - Major Lance (Okeh)
22. You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry - - The Caravelles
23. Can I Get A Witness - - Marvin Gaye
24. Turn Around - - Dick & Dee Dee
25. Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa - - Gene Pitney
26. Wives and Lovers - - Jack Jones
27. I Can't Stay Mad At You - - Skeeter Davis
28. Kansas City - - Trini Lopez
29. Fools Rush In - - Ricky Nelson *
30. Talk To Me - - Sunny & The Sunglows (Tear Drop)
31. Dawn - - David Rockingham (Josie)
32. Little Red Rooster - - Sam Cooke
33. I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight - - Barry & The Tamerlanes
34. Bad Girl - - Neil Sedaka
35. Forget Him - - Bobby Rydell
36. I Have A Boyfriend - - The Chiffons
37. Pretty Paper - - Roy Orbison
38. Talk Back Trembling Lips - - Johnny Tillotson
39. Stewball - - Peter, Paul & Mary
40. Popsicles and Icicles - - The Murmaids

* I guess whoever typed up the survey couldn't bring themselves to call him Rick Nelson even though that was the name on the records beginning in mid '61.
This is the Top 40 Pop Music Survey the day after JFK was shot. (For all you oldies music fans.)

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 05:00 AM

TOP STREAM 32.1Kbps (16Khz)
The Fateful Hours: KLIF Dallas Covers The Kennedy Assassination (43:46)
. . . Preserve them well, for these were The Fateful Hours . . .

[Description by Beau Weaver]

Gordon McLendon's KLIF invented radio news as we know it, and on November 22, 1963, his team swung into action in an extraordinary effort. In 1964, airchecks of the coverage were assembled and pressed into a long-playing vinyl album entitled: "The Fateful Hours" for sale to the public. But McLendon may have underestimated the black eye that the Assassination would give Dallas, in the court of public opinion for many years to come. Wise counsel convinced him it might be construed as in poor taste, so the project was eventually shelved.

JFK in Dallas
During my tenure as PD at KNUS, I stumbled across these LPs in a warehouse, and saved one. It is a treasure. Gordon himself does much of the reporting and commentary, along with KLIF News luminaries Gary Delaune and Joe Long. The Album is narrated by long-time McLendon national PD, Don Keyes.

Return to the Repository
RT40RR - The Beau Weaver Collection!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 06:52 AM

Interesting that at appx 22:45 into "The Kennedy Files - A," eyewitness Jean Hill says she heard the shots come from the hill (referring to the grassy knoll) and that she thought she saw a man running.

This is raw interview footage that we are hearing just moments after the fact. (And at this point in the recording it is still being announced that the President and Gov. Connally are still alive but critically wounded.)

Here is a Wikipedia page.

Kennedy assassination theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( Last edited by marden; Nov 22, 2006 at 07:02 AM. )

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 08:37 AM

It should also be noted that Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World, died on that exact day.

And they said I didn't learn anything in high school.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 09:17 AM

I think I know 2 songs in that top 40, though possibly a few more that I never knew the title to.

Also, the genius senator that put forth the magic bullet theory hails from my home state. Arlen Specter, the most conservative and liberal senator in the state.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I think I know 2 songs in that top 40, though possibly a few more that I never knew the title to.
There's 17 that I'm not familiar with.

crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 03:58 PM

I have a roll of teletype from that day, starting with the "shots fired" to the apprehension of Oswald. I always wondered what it might be worth. Maybe I'll wait until the 50th anniversary and put it up on EBay.
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 04:01 PM

yeah, i went to a lecture at north harris college. it was interesting to see the film clip again and hear some alternate theories that i hadn't heard about before.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by crabsandbeer View Post
I have a roll of teletype from that day, starting with the "shots fired" to the apprehension of Oswald. I always wondered what it might be worth. Maybe I'll wait until the 50th anniversary and put it up on EBay.
I would think it would have some value. Whether it would help pad your retirement income would remain to be seen.

But if you ever want to achieve some degree of immortality beyond that of living on in your children or achieving some measure of distinction in some other way, if you donate the teletype to a museum and ask them the likelihood of their putting it on display and doing so with the small note:

"On loan from the Estate of CrabsandBeer" or "Donated by Mr. C. A. Beer"
And if you donate it you might look into whether there was a possible tax advantage to your donation.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro View Post
yeah, i went to a lecture at north harris college. it was interesting to see the film clip again and hear some alternate theories that i hadn't heard about before.
What theories were those?

crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
I would think it would have some value. Whether it would help pad your retirement income would remain to be seen.

But if you ever want to achieve some degree of immortality beyond that of living on in your children or achieving some measure of distinction in some other way, if you donate the teletype to a museum and ask them the likelihood of their putting it on display and doing so with the small note:

And if you donate it you might look into whether there was a possible tax advantage to your donation.
Sage advice. To tell the truth, I never thought that a museum would be interested in something like that but I'll look into it.
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

Mellon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by m_young View Post
It should also be noted that Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World, died on that exact day.

And they said I didn't learn anything in high school.
I read that book...
Personally thought it was gruesome and I didn't like it too much.

But thanks for the little fact, it's very interesting!

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 10:15 PM

I thought it was pretty interesting. I enjoy random takes on the world at large, especially when they are fueled by drugs.

I think in the biography in the back of the book (brave new world), it said the day, but it didn't mention kennedy at all. Interesting tidbit.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by m_young View Post
I thought it was pretty interesting. I enjoy random takes on the world at large, especially when they are fueled by drugs.

I think in the biography in the back of the book (brave new world), it said the day, but it didn't mention kennedy at all. Interesting tidbit.
Yeah. The only connection was that they both died on the same day.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 10:48 PM

He was president when I was born, though I have no memory of the assassination. Definitely one of the coolest presidents ever

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 02:32 AM

This was way before my time, as I barely even remember the first Bush administration (I was born near the end of the Reagan years). Nonetheless, I'd just like to pay my respects to a great president and a great man.

As a side note, I also liked Brave New World. Not as chilling as 1984, but almost as intriguing.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 02:49 AM

i was 4 months old when he was murdered...i remember hearing something that sounded like fire crackers but then rolled over

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 03:08 AM

I hope he's resting in peace, looking down on us from somewhere....or, wait. JFK, eh. Well, hello down there buddy. And Marilyn, take that out of your mouth.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
We are still pondering, studying and debating the who's what's where's, when's and why's of his death these many years later and we are no closer to the final truth than we were then..
I'm pondering why apostrophes were used.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 23, 2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm pondering why apostrophes were used.
I wasnt myself when I wrote that.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 23, 2006, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I hope he's resting in peace, looking down on us from somewhere....or, wait. JFK, eh. Well, hello down there buddy. And Marilyn, take that out of your mouth.

greg
Michael Richards is funnier.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Nov 23, 2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
i was 4 months old when he was murdered...i remember hearing something that sounded like fire crackers but then rolled over
It was Howard Stern farting in your ear. Hey now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules