Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Comcast allegedly plans push into carrier services via Verizon deal

Comcast allegedly plans push into carrier services via Verizon deal
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2015, 07:04 AM

Comcast subscribers may find their service will extend away from their home network, with a report claiming the cable company is looking to move into providing cellular services to its users. It is alleged Comcast has advised Verizon it will be reselling part of the carrier's wireless service to its customers under a 2012 spectrum deal, with the supposed new service potentially being offered to Comcast customers by this time next year.

In 2012, Verizon acquired a number of national spectrum licenses from a consortium of cable companies for $3.6 billion, in order to extend its LTE capacity. As part of the terms of the deal, the cable companies have the ability to resell Verizon's wireless services, something initially capitalized on by Time Warner Cable and apparently now being attempted by Comcast. Verizon and Comcast did work together on a combined cable and wireless bundle, but terminated the partnership in October 2013 due to changing market conditions.

Verizon CFO Fran Shammo confirmed earlier this week it had been informed by a cable provider that it wants to resell services, but stopped short of identifying the cable company involved. Multiple sources of Bloomberg allege that it was Comcast that made the declaration of intent to Verizon, though neither company has confirmed this information.

"Obviously, the industry is moving. Cable is going to do what they're going to do, and we're going to do what we're going to do," advised Shammo.

While Comcast has already revealed it is considering offering some form of cellular service in the future, the mechanics of the service are still unknown. New Street Research analyst Jonathan Chaplin suggests the service could leverage the existing network of approximately 10 million Wi-fi hotspots across the cable network, with the potential to use Verizon for coverage away from hotspots. This could potentially halve the network costs compared to a traditional wireless service, and could allow Comcast to offer such a service for as little as $25 per month, per line.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 23, 2015 at 07:08 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2015, 08:59 AM

Someone would voluntary sign up with Comcast for anything?
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

prl99
Senior User
Oct 23, 2015, 09:09 AM

@Inkling, I totally agree! I have to use Comcast for internet because the only alternative is a very slow Frontier. I dropped their phone service and somehow saved $100/mo (go to their sales people, don't call them, you get better deals). I also just changed to Verizon because even though it isn't as fast as AT&T it reaches more outlying areas (at least in Washington). Ma Bell was broken up because it got too big so when will Comcast be broken up for the same reason? If Comcast is allowed to offer cellular service, even over WiFi, our rates will not go down because they'll simply drive out the competition. I'm also upset with Comcast's "free" xfinity wifi connection. It's all over the place but almost always very slow, hijacking my LTE connection. I have to play around with the new iOS 9 setting to see if I can keep it from taking over my phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules