Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Leaving G5 at home for a while, should I leave it plugged in?

Leaving G5 at home for a while, should I leave it plugged in?
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2010, 01:40 PM

Hey, I am going back up to school for about 2 months, I love my G5 and I want it to last as long as possible, especially since they're dropping like flies out there.

Should I leave the G5 plugged in for the 2 month period?

I also have my iBook and PowerBook that I'm leaving here, I think it would be better to leave them unplugged for the batteries sake, but I just want to be sure.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2010, 01:43 PM

Sure, leave it plugged in. I'd probably shut it off instead of leaving it asleep; Apple used to recommend for the G5s to turn them off for periods longer than 2 weeks.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2010, 05:50 PM

What about storms?, leaving the Mac plugged in might be a dangerous thing in case of a lightning strike.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2010, 06:23 PM

In winter on Long Island?

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 03:26 AM

Yeah, we get a decent amount of rain and thunder storms, it's plugged into a strip outlet though, and the house is wired for lightning passthrough with rods all around the property.

P
Jan 25, 2010, 06:21 AM

Not plugging it in will drain the clock battery eventually. Note that the first gen iMac G5 uses roughly 2W while plugged in and turned off, while it uses 10W if in standby - not sure if this improved any with the later models.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules