Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Home Theater Advice

Home Theater Advice (Page 4)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2022, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I bought them new in 1984.
They work well. They are especially good for two channel content. “Classic” movies like The Benny Goodman Story are available on Blu-ray, but are stereo. I get that “phantom center channel” without having to “toe in” the speakers.

I’m still ambivalent about spatial audio on Apple Music. They produce that on their own. I like some of the newer music ATMOS mixes, but prefer the original stereo mixes for most of the older albums that have been receiving spatial mixes. Sgt Pepper sucks, but Abbey Road and Let It Be are quite good.

I would like The Wall , Dark Side of The Moon, Animals, and Wish You Were Here to get a spatial mix, but that would require Waters and Gilmore to agree, and that’s not going to happen anytime soon.
I can’t even imagine trying to cram the Beatles into anything not 2.0.

I almost got 301s in the 90s, but never pulled the trigger.

andi*pandi
Jan 24, 2022, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The center is there temporarily. It’s too tall and would block the bottom of the screen. I’ll need to find a couple of risers to raise the screen up enough.
Overall a new tv stand a little taller would be good for ergonomics also. You can't do a wall mount at the right height because there's a fireplace back there right?

For christmas my husband finally connected the roku to the receiver so it could benefit from our surround sound. Only took 2 years. I don't mess with those cables.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2022, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I can’t even imagine trying to cram the Beatles into anything not 2.0.

I almost got 301s in the 90s, but never pulled the trigger.
Let It Be and Abbey Road are the only Beatles albums that could receive a spatial mix at present because they were recorded using an eight track system, where I recall the other albums used multiple two channel recorders and were taped over in the mastering process.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2022, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Overall a new tv stand a little taller would be good for ergonomics also. You can't do a wall mount at the right height because there's a fireplace back there right?

For christmas my husband finally connected the roku to the receiver so it could benefit from our surround sound. Only took 2 years. I don't mess with those cables.
The tv stand is not the issue. The center speaker is 5” tall, whereas the bottom of the tv to the shelf is 3” only. I need to get a couple of wooden blocks to raise the tv 3”.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Jan 24, 2022, 10:56 PM

I've seen that type of stand before. It usually has a tall spine at the rear-center. You use the TV VESA mount holes to the spine, at any desired height. The spine doubles as a cable conduit.

If your stand has no spine, wood chocks painted black will do. Or jigger some kind of wall mount to the fireplace. Would look messy, but be completely hidden from view.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 24, 2022, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
... He ended up getting an 85" 4K TV for like $1600 at Costco ...
When I was little, a 25" TV was the right size for a living room. A 13" was too small, better for a bedroom.

I like living in the future. There are problems still. But also many improvements. Still waiting on those Moon vacations though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2022, 11:10 PM

It’s not what it’s cracked up to be. Moon cable sucks.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 25, 2022, 01:54 PM

Man, low gravity would be so fun for sports tho.... imagine a multi story padded complex, with atmopshere, and paintball in low grav. You could jump out and shoot sideways like John Woo movies and whatnot. The best mods for UT99 were always low grav.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2022, 01:28 AM

I bought an aftermarket stand. The center speaker fits nicely beneath the TV now.

45/47

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 2, 2022, 09:30 AM

Nice! Next up...cable management!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2022, 10:10 AM

Nice! Next up...cable management!
Cable manglement? 🤪 You should have seen it before I moved to an AVR with HDMI inputs. That was a rat’s nest.
45/47

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 AM

I’m not cable anal except that my only requirement is that you can’t see any.

It might be a rat’s nest behind the receiver, but they all disappear into the wall before they get outside the cabinet! Voila, no cables….
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2022, 02:26 PM

Adorable dog!!!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Adorable dog!!!
That was Chula with one of my nieces when she was about six months old. She went “over the rainbow bridge” November of 2020. She was 16+
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2022, 05:41 PM

I was confused there for a second. I’m like “your niece looks older than 6 months”.

Sad to hear she’s passed on.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2022, 06:41 PM

What’s a good image hosting site nowadays? I haven’t needed an image link in years.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2022, 07:13 PM

I still use Imgur, though I wouldn’t call it “good”.

Thorzdad
Feb 2, 2022, 07:33 PM

Does Imgur allow direct linking/embedding? That’s what killed Photobucket for me when they made linking a paid feature.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2022, 08:37 PM

They do. They seemingly won’t nuke it as long as it’s accessed semi-regularly. They’re still hosting my sig without complaint.

Been using it since Photobucket killed free embeds.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2022, 12:39 AM

Good call…
See? No cables.

Not seen are the four in-wall speakers on the ceiling and back wall. Enclosed attic and no basement for this house extension so I had to punch holes up the walls and over the ceiling and fish 90ft of speaker wire. Got a face(mask) full of mouse shit raining down for the ceiling holes which alerted me to exterior access points. Also drilled a hole up through the rear top plate with a 60 inch bit, reached in from the ceiling hole to grab it and stuck my hand into an exterior-facing junction box—missed it by a half inch. Old houses get the adrenaline flowing….

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 3, 2022, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Does Imgur allow direct linking/embedding? That’s what killed Photobucket for me when they made linking a paid feature.
They block a lot of forums specifically so you can't just use them as an image host. I assume MacNN is small enough not to pop up on their radar, but they've gotten most of the popular automotive forums by now so everyone who updated their build threads with Imgur links after Photobucket and Dropbox went down are out of luck again.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Good call…
See? No cables.
CLEAN. I like it.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2022, 10:21 AM

I hit a horizontal stud (fire block) while running cables for a tv in my house. As I was carefully cutting the drywall around the stud, I kept hearing a jingling sound inside the wall from my saw hitting something. I knew there couldn't be water lines or power lines in this location, so I proceeded ever so carefully. Eventually I had cut away an opening and exposed an empty Coors Light bottle resting on the stud. The original builders must have left it there during construction. Rather than make the hole larger to remove the bottle, I ran the cables, and sealed it back up.
one post closer to five stars

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2022, 12:26 AM

CLEAN. I like it.
Right? It’s a stellar audio system too. I’m pretty proud of the stealth quality I put together. Those are Totem Tribe III front speakers, Monitor Audio CP380 ceiling Atmos and CP380 wall rears, and a Rythmik F12 servo sub. Got a Marantz 7013 receiver which is probably the weakest link of the system, and will upgrade to an 8015 or a Denon X8500H when the budget allows down the road. It’s quietly killer and can really blow things out of the water for movies or music. Plus it’s got AirPlay 2 so powers the living room as part of the whole-house audio system with Sonos speakers. Really understated and cool in my humble opinion.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 4, 2022, 02:45 PM

They look too tiny to sound good. Also not mounted at angles... idk... looks super nice tho! My system looks like shit but sounds awesome.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2022, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
They look too tiny to sound good.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 4, 2022, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
Eventually I had cut away an opening and exposed an empty Coors Light bottle resting on the stud. ... Rather than make the hole larger to remove the bottle, I ran the cables, and sealed it back up.
A bottle can be removed with scissors and needle-nose pliers. An oscillating saw could work too, if you have one.

I know it doesn't hurt anything. But ...

I once opened up a shower wall access. Sitting on a cross beam was my tape measure. The one I'd been missing for a few years. I think it was in there 3-5 years.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
They look too tiny to sound good. Also not mounted at angles... idk... looks super nice tho! My system looks like shit but sounds awesome.
Totem Tribe III

Not going to pretend there’s any magic way around the inherent physical limitations, but those are impressive specs for something that looks so lifestyle. They sound damn good and they’d better for the price. You do need a sub to compete with the range of larger off-wall speakers and that 12-inch Rythmik servo is a beaut—I’ll try to add a second one sometime down the road.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2022, 07:02 PM

My set up (it’s only a 55” screen) has the TV mounted on a cabinet with a vertical stand. Amp and a disc player are on top of the cabinet, speakers on either side on tables that go with the style.

All, and I mean ALL cables are hidden. Not just because of neatness, but we have a cat who chews cables. I had to replace at least 3 HDMI cables because she gnawed through them.

For some reason I’m having problems getting a picture I just took into a form I can add to this post…so I attached it. We’re listening to SiriusXM at the moment…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F998E6E-B1EE-4C76-8B87-AB992FF6A8FD.jpg (97.6 KB, 639 views)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2022, 08:48 PM

(Glenn’s photo)

( Last edited by subego; Feb 6, 2022 at 10:42 PM. )

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2022, 11:02 AM

Wow, flexing the admin power of attachments.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2022, 12:43 PM

Thanks, subego.

The idea behind the cabinet was to (along with going with the other furniture) keep as much of the electronics enclosed and away from pets as possible.

The unfinished wooden gadgets over the amp and the disc player are to keep cats from sleeping on the warm boxes as much as keeping them away from the cables. I simply haven’t had both time and motivation to make proper pieces to replace them. Note the two bookcases on either side: I made them, so I can certainly do better than plain white lumber when I work at it.

What you can’t see is that EVERYTHING connected to the backs of the equipment is in wire loom or a plastic cable raceway. Even the speaker wires are in wire loom. That’s not as “neat and precise” as it might sound, but it does help organize cables. I also added wooden blocks on the back sides of the main cabinet to keep the cabling out of paw’s reach. So the whole unit is pushed up to the wall, and the blocks and cable raceway provide spacing as well as cable protection.

I am explaining all of this because cats aren’t the only household members some people may have to keep away from wires. Toddlers are awfully curious and faster than anyone expects, especially when they’re going after something they shouldn’t.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
keep cats from sleeping on the warm boxes
You’re a monster.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2022, 12:54 PM

That’s what laps are for. Ask our cats…

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2022, 01:05 PM

I’m curious: why floor stand ding speakers on stools?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That’s what laps are for. Ask our cats…
I did.

They said “meow”, which Google translates as “por que no los dos?”

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I’m curious: why floor stand ding speakers on stools?
So they’re the same height as the TV?

I’d worry about vibration, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2022, 01:23 PM

They’re up on tables at my house to give better coverage and more “theater like” sound.

The speakers are heavy enough, and the tables solid enough that they don’t vibrate. At least not enough to notice.

andi*pandi
Feb 7, 2022, 03:12 PM

Our speakers have stands. Well one does. The rest are on bookshelves around the room. But ours are not so huge.
Keeping cats off warm boxes also helps keep cat fur out of vents, yes?

Do any of you use bluetooth speakers to avoid wiring issues? Reasons not to?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2022, 03:35 PM

Typically you want the speakers to be about ear level. And in-line with your centre if possible. That’s why tall floorstanders typically stand by themselves, without any stand.

It’s a criticism of my own setup—the white console is too high and it drives the TV and speakers 8-10 inches higher up the wall than I’d prefer. But my speakers have the tweeter & woofers in the middle as opposed to on the top, so I’m not losing much sleep over that small height difference. I’m not going to win that fight with the wife.

I’d recommend trying them without the stands, but hey, if you have no complaints then who cares

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2022, 03:48 PM

Yes, our cats have a history of ejecting considerable amounts of fur wherever they decide to recline. I once spent most of a day cleaning cat fur out of that amp, and decided that wasn’t going to happen again.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 04:40 PM

That’s why my receiver is such a champ. Not only did it take a ton of fur, it also handled multiple barfings.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Do any of you use bluetooth speakers to avoid wiring issues? Reasons not to?
Low fidelity is first and foremost. There’s also going to be lag.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2022, 05:25 PM

Should have snapped a pic of the screen. I listed my PS3 for sale this weekend and the guy that's coming to get it asked if I had any other video game stuff lying around. Well, let me dig.

I found my childhood Sega Genesis/Sega CD. I originally sold it in like 2002 so I could buy a used N64. The kid who bought it from me eventually just gave it back when he got an Xbox. At some point I'm pretty sure I swapped polarity on the universal power adapter I used on it and fried it. But I found another Genesis console at Goodwill for a couple bucks that I picked up. So that left me with all of this:

I wanted to make sure it worked, but I only had the RF/coax adapter. So I pulled out my old VCR and hooked the Genesis up to that (Channel 4!). Then I hooked the composite outputs from the VCR up to my receiver, which did some kind of upscaling magic to send everything to the projector. Sonic 3 on a 130" screen . It wasn't awesome but it worked. Well, turns out even busted Sega CD units sell for $150+.

Then I found the VictorMaxx Stuntmaster that I found at Goodwill a few years ago, basically NIB.

These apparently go for $75+?

And then a Virtual Boy I, again, found at a Goodwill. Or maybe a garage sale.

Unfortunately I don't have the controller, and since that houses the batteries I wasn't able to test it. But even in broken or untested form the Virtual Boys go for $150+.

So I'm clearing out a lot of old junk and making a few bucks. I really need to get that Mac Pro cleaned off and listed while everyone is still feeling flush with cash.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2022, 05:34 PM

That kid didn’t give you back your Sewer Shark?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2022, 09:10 AM

It's in the console.

Thorzdad
Feb 8, 2022, 09:55 AM

My local Blockbuster had a Virtual Boy set-up in a kiosk in the front of the games section, that you could use and play. It was almost always lonely. Occasionally, someone would step up and try it out, rarely longer than a minute or two, and then just walk away with an unimpressed look on their face.

Pretty quickly, the kiosk was moved to the back wall of the games section. Then the machine itself disappeared, leaving a few games on the wall. Then, those disappeared completely. I don’t think it was in the store all of six months.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2022, 11:28 AM

From my cursory eBay searches, the VirtualBoy Blockbuster carrying case is a hot ticket item now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2022, 02:50 PM

It's in the console.
Good! That’s vital to the SegaCD experience.

Phun Phact: worked on a POS movie with the guy who played the boss in that game. He’s far more famous for being in Total Recall, which we would do impressions of when he was out of earshot.

“YOU BLABBED, QUAID!”

I also remember the Virtual Boy/Blockbuster deal. I really wanted to try it, but I didn’t want try some rando’s face funk.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2022, 09:28 AM

"Rando Face Funk" is a fantastic band name.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 9, 2022, 12:55 PM

My buddy had a virtual boy... I played with it back in the day, the tennis one was kind of a neat way to show depth/3d ness o that thing.... but... the graphics were so bad, all red and black, and you have to put your face in it as it sits on a table? Pretty dumb. I wonder how much they invested in that system....

Forum Links
Forum Rules