Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > High RAM Usage...

High RAM Usage...
ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 02:38 PM

Evidently the MacNN Database needs some more RAM, eh?

DimeTech
Oct 15, 2004, 02:39 PM

my computer constantly uses over 1GB in RAM while running toast. if i reset, it goes down to about 200 MB for the system. when running high, it says a kernal_task is taking up over 800MB of RAM....whats the deal? thanks for the help!

DimeTech
Oct 15, 2004, 02:41 PM

haha....i guess so....dont ask me though, i dont have enough

larkost
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

DimeTech: do one of two things, either search out one of the many explications of how memory is used in MacOS X (or any unix-based operating system for that matter), or stop looking at any of the memory monitoring utilities... they don't say what you think they say. Memory usage in MacOS X is nothing like the simplistic system use in MacOS 9 and interpreting it like it is will just confuse you.

DimeTech
Oct 16, 2004, 03:59 AM

thanks for the input. i'm just not sure whether to open another app when theres only like 5 mb free

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 06:05 AM

I could be wrong about this, because it's just what I've heard from others...

Free RAM is not being used at all.
The amount of Inactive RAM is what you should be looking at in terms of how much is available at that time. It's something to do with memory which has been recently used and cached incase it is needed again, but is still available if it's needed.
So, if you only have 5MB of free RAM but 500MB of Inactive RAM then you're doing well.

The Used category is an addition of the Wired + Active + Inactive numbers.
Basically add the Active + Wired numbers to give a closer idea of how much is being used and add the Inactive + Free numbers to show how much is available.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...t=inactive+ram
Read this discussion if you want to hear from people who actually know what they're talking about.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 09:37 AM

Close your eyes. Click your heels together as you say to yourself, "free RAM is wasted RAM, free RAM is wasted RAM, free RAM is wasted RAM". Then just relax and let OS X's memory management do its magic automatically. Open and run as many apps as you like.

Chris

DimeTech
Oct 20, 2004, 05:45 PM

thanks. this makes a little more sense now

Forum Links
Forum Rules