Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mail.app not sending emails (for .me)

mail.app not sending emails (for .me)
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

My mail.app is failing to send any emails, it just sits there with the little doohicky spinning away.

Is anyone else having similar problems? I trashed all references to mail within the ~/library to see if something got corrupted but that did not fix the problem. I can send emails using my other email account defined within mail.app, just not anything using .mac/.me

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2008, 10:24 PM

Rebuild your folders. All of them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 10:41 PM

Same here.

Same with my wife.

Same with other family members.

Yeah, there is an issue going on.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 10:48 PM

This worked for me....from a big thread over on Apple's Discussions boards...

"If you’re using Mac OS X Mail to retrieve your MobileMe email, try changing the outgoing mail server (SMTP) to use port 587 instead of port 25 (in the Accounts pane of Mail preferences). Your Internet Service Provider might be blocking access to port 25 (the default email port)."

Doesn't explain why all of a sudden things broke today, but I'm glad it's working again. I'm using Comcast.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 11:16 PM

I had that problem this afternoon. Later, I changed the SMTP from smtp.mac.com to smtp.me.com and it worked. You can also try Connection Doctor and see what's going on.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
This worked for me....from a big thread over on Apple's Discussions boards...

"If you’re using Mac OS X Mail to retrieve your MobileMe email, try changing the outgoing mail server (SMTP) to use port 587 instead of port 25 (in the Accounts pane of Mail preferences). Your Internet Service Provider might be blocking access to port 25 (the default email port)."

Doesn't explain why all of a sudden things broke today, but I'm glad it's working again. I'm using Comcast.
It could be that Apple has their traffic separated out so that a different server is listening on this port...

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2008, 07:03 AM

rebuilding the mailboxes didn't work, In a sense I did then initially when I wiped out all mail files and folders from the library folder (thanks to TM, I can always recover them).

I'm somewhat relieved other people were/are having issues. That means its not something related to my computer

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 02:40 PM

Does it do this under multiple OS X accounts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules