Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. to follow Geneva treaty for detainees [Guantanamo et al]

U.S. to follow Geneva treaty for detainees [Guantanamo et al]
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 02:04 PM

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/...0711detain.php

In a sweeping change of policy, the Pentagon has decided that it will treat all detainees in compliance with the minimum standards spelled out in the Geneva conventions, a senior defense official said today.
..why the policy change I hear you ask.. well:

The new policy comes on the heels of a Supreme Court ruling last month invalidating a system of military tribunals the Pentagon had created to try suspected terrorists, and just before Congress takes up the question of a replacement system in a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing today.

As part of its decision, the court found that a key provision of the Geneva conventions, known as Common Article 3, did apply to terror suspects, contradicting the position taken by the Bush administration.
Well, that's that then. May as well close the bloody thing now, eh?

I think this is a good thing and a valuable lesson. Nobody is above or benieth the law. Good news (and they say good news is never reported!)

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 02:14 PM

Oh how I can't wait for Simey to tell us all how this actually doesn't mean what we think it does and how Bush was right all along.

:gets popcorn and cola:

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 02:16 PM

about time, now i wait to see if they actually change a thing, then perhaps I can start respecting the US a little more.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2006, 02:20 PM

Can't wait for Simey's response either. He'll just call some names and say that were all stupid etc........just like he's been told to do.
The Religious Right is neither.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2006, 03:46 PM

The hell of it is that the Geneva Treaty shouldn't have even been needed to be called into play; this was unconstitutional on its face. But if the Geneva Treaty will get the government to correct this grave abuse, then so be it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 04:05 PM

Thats why all those captured on the battlefield should be harshly questoned - even using drugs and torture, and then they should be killed and left on the battlefield with the rest of the dead.

Rules??? In a Knife fight?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 05:10 PM

Dude, this ain't West Side Story.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 05:14 PM

You know something has been going wrong when the headlines say "US to follow Geneva Conventions."

Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:26 PM

Guys guys lets not play the blame game I'd rather see us move forward than have these monday morning quarterbacks play politics with the safety of the American people. the adminsitration has great respect for these activist judges who obviously want Osama Bin Laden to win or they WOULDN'T DARE DISPUTE THE POWER OF THE PRESIDENT IN A TIME OF WAR!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
the adminsitration has great respect for these activist judges who obviously want Osama Bin Laden to win or they WOULDN'T DARE DISPUTE THE POWER OF THE PRESIDENT IN A TIME OF WAR!!!
Is this sarcasm?

Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 07:13 PM

oh ya

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2006, 07:22 PM

This is a terrible decision, terrorists do not qualify for protection under the euroweenie convention. Hopefully US troops will kill more and capture less from now on. The best kind of terrorists are the kinds that aren't breathing anymore.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Glad you approve. Rogue nations need guidance and it is great news that the U.S. will now follow some kind of ethics.

Now we can do real work on those terrorists, and gain confidence from other nations that Justice will prevail.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
and gain confidence from other nations that Justice will prevail.
ā€¦because nothing will strike fear into the hearts of terrorists like Europe's approval of our policiesā€¦
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 08:52 PM

This is a terrible decision, terrorists do not qualify for protection under the euroweenie convention. Hopefully US troops will kill more and capture less from now on. The best kind of terrorists are the kinds that aren't breathing anymore.

...how do you know that everyone at Gitmo is a terrorist? Do you have some inside source? Do you work there?

See. This is what the Geneva convention is for. So we know who they are holding.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
ā€¦because nothing will strike fear into the hearts of terrorists like Europe's approval of our policiesā€¦
Europe? Try 'the rest of the civilized world'. And lots of the not so civilized part.

V

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 09:17 PM

well, if the terrorists are caught doing terrorist things in terrorist countries (and presumably not judged on the battlefield), why is it so hard to try them on, say, terrorism charges.

only 10 of the 450 (about 2%) current detainees have, to date, had charges levelled against them. three years is a long time to form some kind of case against these guys - gather intelligence and evidence, etc. otherwise, three years is a long time to keep these people in limbo.

i am happy that there will be some justice done.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
...how do you know that everyone at Gitmo is a terrorist?
Well, they're at Gitmo, aren't they? They must be terrorists. I mean, innocent people are never put in prison.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:20 PM

Whatever, the decision has been made. You lose.

V

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2006, 09:37 PM

The issue was really how to treat combatants that didn't fit in a nice little niche. They didn't wear uniforms, but they did behave like combatants. They shot at us, but from schools, hospitals, mosques, etc. On its face that makes them "unlawful combatants," and the Conventions are noticably silent on what to do with such combatants.

Now the real problem with this is that the administration chose the extreme (for the U.S.) position that these detainees were completely out of the scope of international law. I for one don't think they earn Geneva Convention protections because of the way they fought. But that would mean that they don't get the specific "benefits" of the Convention, such as being provided tobacco...

This does NOT mean that they should be treated like they were arrested in Times Square for spraypainting on the storefronts! They are not being held on criminal charges. Instead they are being held as prisoners subsequent to combat-this is NOT a U.S. criminal issue, and the need for lawyers during their captivity is a wonder to me-did any of OUR POWs in Vietnam, North Korea, Japan, or Germany get lawyers to argue against their captivity? No, because they were captured IN THE PROGRESS OF A WAR. That's the situation of most of the Guantanamo detaines: they were captured during wartime combat operations.

A lot of people are not going to be happy about one offshoot of considering these people POWs under Geneva. That's because a POW can be held indefinitely until the end of the conflict. I do not see the War on Terror ending in the next few years.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Actually, it's the approval of your Judicial branch, not Europe, that your administration sought.

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
about time, now i wait to see if they actually change a thing, then perhaps I can start respecting the US a little more.
Well, I'm glad that someone in the government decided to actually provide a check and a balance to the executive power Bush has been gobbling up. It took long enough.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Actually, it's the approval of your Judicial branch, not Europe, that your administration sought.
Actually, you need to read the post to which I was replyingā€¦
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Whatever, the decision has been made. You lose.

V
Whatever, I'm sure that terrorists are still going to get the crap kicked out of them. Some terrorist somewhere (in some undisclosed location of course) is probably wearing a panty on their head at this very moment while being interrogated.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2006, 10:55 PM

Since the US is now granting these terrorist hoodlums protection under the Geneva convention, then that means that they're POW's and they won't be getting out anytime soon. They're to be held until the war is over, that might be decades away. Hopefully the terrorists will rot in prison and die there without ever being let out, fair is fair and the US should abide by these rules.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 11, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
A lot of people are not going to be happy about one offshoot of considering these people POWs under Geneva. That's because a POW can be held indefinitely until the end of the conflict. I do not see the War on Terror ending in the next few years.
Exactly, that's what I was thinking too.

Nobody, not anti-USA Liberals or terrorist loving Eurotrash can whine when these POW"s are held for decades or until they die.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
they were captured IN THE PROGRESS OF A WAR.
Which is why the Geneva Convention applies to them. Be them regular or irregular combatants - there are no 'illegal' ones. The GC has been written for all people captured in a war, independently of the labels attached to them. If they are guilty of the war crimes you describe above they are irregulars that commited warcrimes - IANAL but I don't think that applying the GC to them would mean anything else but that a system of checks and balances is put into place instead of the barbarity of Gitmo.

Contra a barbƔrie, o estudo; Contra o individualismo, a solidariedade!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2006, 12:27 AM

Exactly, that's what I was thinking too.

Nobody, not anti-USA Liberals or terrorist loving Eurotrash can whine when these POW"s are held for decades or until they die.

I think the US will be hard pressed to define the war these POW's were captured in as the War on Terror as opposed to the war against Afghanistan or the war against Iraq.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Europe? Try 'the rest of the civilized world'. And lots of the not so civilized part.

V
That reads so Hitchhiker-guide-to-the-galaxy-like.

Back on topic, it's good news that the prisoners get finally some rights as POWs, but the other revealed news was that the US holds currently about 1,000+ POW's or terrorists around the world, although it's currently unclear where those are held that are not from among the 450 ones of Guantanamo.

Taliesin

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2006, 08:11 AM

Since the US is now granting these terrorist hoodlums protection under the Geneva convention, then that means that they're POW's and they won't be getting out anytime soon. They're to be held until the war is over, that might be decades away. Hopefully the terrorists will rot in prison and die there without ever being let out, fair is fair and the US should abide by these rules.

Yes. The US should declare all the prisoners held at Guantanamo as POWs and treat them as such. That is what I have been arguing for all along, playing by the rules. Because guess what, playing by the rules allows the US to hold these guys "until the war is over, [which] might be decades away". So be it. If we don't declare "victory" in the war on terror for another generation then we will have lots of old POWs in Gitmo.

You see, we CAN play by the rules and still get what we want.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kvm_mkdb
Which is why the Geneva Convention applies to them. Be them regular or irregular combatants - there are no 'illegal' ones. The GC has been written for all people captured in a war, independently of the labels attached to them. If they are guilty of the war crimes you describe above they are irregulars that commited warcrimes - IANAL but I don't think that applying the GC to them would mean anything else but that a system of checks and balances is put into place instead of the barbarity of Gitmo.
There is a difference between "irregular" combatants and "illegal" combatants. The French Resistance were "irregulars," but they had visible and recognized insignia while fighting (often a scarf and a beret) that identified them and followed the accepted rules of combat. "Illegal" combatants are not "irregulars" (which are covered by Geneva) because they neither identify themselves as combatants through insignia, nor do they follow the accepted rules of combat. These "illegal combatants" HIDE their combatant status through SPECIFICALLY NOT wearing identifying insignia, and they hide in protected places like religious buildings and hospitals or erect faux hospital camps to fight from. This specifically forfeits any protection as an irregular combatant. This is a VERY IMPORTANT distinction. The insurgents in Iraq are ILLEGAL combatants, NOT A RESISTANCE FORCE. If they want to step up to the plate as resistance, let 'em play by the rules. Otherwise they're cowardly thugs that hide behind women, children and the aged. You cannot be an "irregular that commits war crimes" if you were never an irregular to begin with. These slime (both those at Guantanamo and currently in Iraq and Afghanistan) were war criminal slime from the begining.

And how do you define "barbarity?" Proper food daily, clean living conditions, extraordinary accomodations for religious activities? The only force used that I've heard of is trying to keep them from killing themselves, and that hasn't been 100% successful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 12:02 PM

Perhaps you can get OBL to sign the Geneva Convention too? That would certainly make a worthless piece of paper.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2006, 12:27 PM

Y3a, why do you hate America so?

You and PacHead seem to completely abhor all the values your country once stood for.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2006, 12:30 PM

I would like to see Y3a and Pachead in a steel caged death match. These guys both have a lot of balls, and aren't afraid to demonstrate this!

.... it's too bad they don't always display their intellect in their incredibly over-the-top "kill anything that looks, smells, or sounds like a terrorist" bit. Do you guys not see some fallicy to this approach?

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c

.... it's too bad they don't always display their intellect in their incredibly over-the-top "kill anything that looks, smells, or sounds like a terrorist" bit. Do you guys not see some fallicy to this approach?
If it looks like a terrorist and it smells like a terrorist and it talks like a terrorist, well then guess what, it is a terrorist.

Liberals need to stop defending and helping people who are waging war against the US.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2006, 01:55 PM

I swear these guys love this stuff. An opportunity for the US to act big and tough and flex it muscles and assert dominance? These guys probably get bored during peacetime.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I swear these guys love this stuff. An opportunity for the US to act big and tough and flex it muscles and assert dominance? These guys probably get bored during peacetime.
It's good to be on the dominant side during a war, especially when you're the side that has been attacked, wouldn't you agree ? Would you prefer that the US was the weaker side? Is that what Liberals want ? No wonder Liberals are becoming more and more irrelevant in politics for every passing day. The worst of the Liberals engage in traitorism.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2006, 02:03 PM

I don't mean assert dominance as in win the war. I mean show everybody 'we are the alpha male.'

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2006, 02:13 PM

I don't mean assert dominance as in win the war. I mean show everybody 'we are the alpha male.'
That's basic psychology right there. Humans haven't evolved that far from the ape and when dealing with terrorists especially, it's best to speak to them in a language that even simple creatures like they can comprehend.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2006, 02:15 PM

That's basic psychology right there. Humans haven't evolved that far from the ape and when dealing with terrorists especially, it's best to speak to them in a language that even simple creatures like they can comprehend.
Yeah, this has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2006, 02:17 PM

Yeah, this has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
It does, I'm saying that it's good to show everybody that we're the alpha male,.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2006, 02:21 PM

And I'm saying you love having a chance to do it.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2006, 02:23 PM

It does, I'm saying that it's good to show everybody that we're the alpha male,.

One day, you will win the Darwin awards.

V

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2006, 02:30 PM

And I'm saying you love having a chance to do it.
I think you're right. Y3a and PacHead seem like the type that relish conflict and enjoy violence. It's kinda sad but there are a LOT of American males who exhibit this particular trait of patriotic muscle-flexing and macho bravura. There seems to be this strange under-current in American masculine identity that relishes gratuitous violence.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 12, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
I think you're right. Y3a and PacHead seem like the type that relish conflict and enjoy violence.
Only when it involves dead terrorists and enemies of the US, you seem to forget that the US is at war. What is the best way to win wars ? Violence and destruction and then more violence and destruction, that's what, the more, the better. Lots of dead enemy bodies, massive piles of dead enemy bodies. Whatever it takes.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 02:06 AM

finally. Under the Geneva convention we are legally within our rights to execute the detainees. A bullet to the head sure stops the whining.

Looks like the peaceniks were led to their own noose - by Dubya.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Y3a, why do you hate America so?

You and PacHead seem to completely abhor all the values your country once stood for.
HA! I LOVE AMERICA.

I HATE the bastardization of it by the liberals and those who wish to rape her and over run her.
I hate the godless terrorists who are killing and causing chaos throughout the world in the name of "Allah."
I hate those who are playing word games and misinterpreting laws, intents and adding their stupid concept of "living Documents" to any place that might seem convenient.

The majority of Americans don't read the news, or understand the real world around them, and they are easy prey to the slimey press and the lies and half-truths that make their decisions at the ballot box faulty, and their perception of events tainted by the BS of the NoooZ outlets..

Idealism is great when your 18-23 or so, but when you DO grow up you need to actually think in the long term. I haven't seen any of that from you lefties.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
HA! I LOVE AMERICA.

I HATE the bastardization of it by the liberals and those who wish to rape her and over run her.
I hate the godless terrorists who are killing and causing chaos throughout the world in the name of "Allah."
I hate those who are playing word games and misinterpreting laws, intents and adding their stupid concept of "living Documents" to any place that might seem convenient.
Oddly, the documents we hold in such high regard were written largely by YOUR GOVERNMENT - albeit sixty and more years ago.

Of course, seeing the contempt you have for your own Constitution, it's hardly surprising that this means nothing to you.

Originally Posted by Y3a
The majority of Americans don't read the news, or understand the real world around them, and they are easy prey to the slimey press and the lies and half-truths that make their decisions at the ballot box faulty, and their perception of events tainted by the BS of the NoooZ outlets..
That DOES explain why the majority of Americans voted for the Bush/Cheney ticket.

Very succinctly put, btw.

Originally Posted by Y3a
Idealism is great when your 18-23 or so, but when you DO grow up you need to actually think in the long term. I haven't seen any of that from you lefties.
Most of us learned in Kindergarten that violence doesn't ever solve any problems in the long term.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Most of us learned in Kindergarten that violence doesn't ever solve any problems in the long term.

really? So if you beat that bully up that is picking on you he won't stop or at least think twice about doing it again?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
finally. Under the Geneva convention we are legally within our rights to execute the detainees. A bullet to the head sure stops the whining.

Looks like the peaceniks were led to their own noose - by Dubya.
This peacenik has wanted the US to simply play by the rules. And, he finally got that. The prisoners in Gitmo are now desginated POWs with all the rights AND responsibilities that comes with such a designation. And yes, if after the end of the war we hold trials for our prisoners--I think we can't hold trials until hostilities have ceased--and they are found guilty of crimes warranting the death penalty, then yes, by all means, let's have some executions. But let's do it BY THE RULES instead of making up rules.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jul 14, 2006 at 03:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules