Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obesity as a disability

View Poll Results: Should obese people qualify for disability?
Poll Options:
Yes 3 votes (6.25%)
No 38 votes (79.17%)
Undecided 7 votes (14.58%)
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Obesity as a disability
Rumor
Dec 21, 2006, 04:13 PM

I've been muling this over in my mind for some strange reason. If one is grossly overweight, then they can qualify for disability.

I don't think I agree with this.

People aren't born obese*. They eat their way there. Improper diet and lack of exercise causes obesity.

There is a huge difference between being born with a disability and acquiring one due to laziness.

*There are some glandular problems where people have no control of their weight, I am aware of this. However, it is fairly rare.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2006, 04:17 PM

Is there any possible case that someone could be fat despite seriously controlling their food intake and maintaining a good exercise regime?

It seems to me that as long as the calories you burn are equal to the calories you eat, you won't gain weight no matter what genetic or glandular issues you may have.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 04:24 PM

That's where a glandular disorder comes into play.

However, many obese people claim to have one, yet do not.

In theory, a balanced calorie intake/output would cause one not to be obese or anorexic.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Well, there's the root of your problem. It's not that its a disability, its that too many falsely claim it is.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

There may be a lot of reasons for obesity. And now here is another...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/20....ap/index.html

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2006, 04:28 PM

That's where a glandular disorder comes into play.

In theory, a balanced calorie intake/output would cause one not to be obese or anorexic.
How could a glandular disorder change the laws of physics? Basic conservation of energy says that if you don't eat too much food you don't get fat.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 04:32 PM

The basic fact of modern health is that virtually all medical problems are largely behavioral. We've done such a good job of eliminating airborne infectious disease that we're left with behaviors. Smoking and poor diet are still by far the biggest causes of poor health, and most of the others in the top 10 are also behavioral.

And what about someone in a wheel chair - should we ask how it happened, was it their fault?

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 04:33 PM

I'm not a scientist, but I think a glandular disorder causes calories to convert or burn incorrectly.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The basic fact of modern health is that virtually all medical problems are largely behavioral. We've done such a good job of eliminating airborne infectious disease that we're left with behaviors. Smoking and poor diet are still by far the biggest causes of poor health, and most of the others in the top 10 are also behavioral.

And what about someone in a wheel chair - should we ask how it happened, was it their fault?
Good point. However, the way I am presenting this is obesity as a disability. If someone is already in a wheelchair, then they are already disabled.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 04:41 PM

Regardless of how someone got to be obese, in most cases the problem is they're addicted to the behavior. Not necessarily the sensation of eating food, but their brain has been changed in the same way that drug addicts' brains are. Most people would consider drug (or gambling) addiction a disability, but not one that gets an equal rights status, more of one that needs hospitalization.

It's funny though about that article, I was about to say that too. The amount of food that goes into you vs how much is used and how much is wasted (in your, ahem, waste), can vary widely between individuals, based mostly on the composition of their gut bacteria (or "gut flora" as it's disturbingly called). This population is generally what you're born with, barring the odd colonization or extinction later in life. Anyway, the "immutable laws of physics" can be deceiving.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 04:46 PM

Good point. However, the way I am presenting this is obesity as a disability. If someone is already in a wheelchair, then they are already disabled.
I guess I don't understand your point. If a person is already so obese that they can't function any better than someone in a wheel chair, wouldn't you say they're "disabled?" I assume you're not talking about someone who's 15 pounds overweight.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I guess I don't understand your point. If a person is already so obese that they can't function any better than someone in a wheel chair, wouldn't you say they're "disabled?" I assume you're not talking about someone who's 15 pounds overweight.
If they got themselves to that position, why should they collect government benefits?

In most cases it's preventable.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2006, 05:05 PM

Any obese people in hear have an opinion?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 05:08 PM

If they got themselves to that position, why should they collect government benefits?

Right, but I really don't see how you can start dividing up medical conditions into "your fault" and "not your fault." For one thing, you'll find that in very few cases can you really say "it's not your fault." (But my wife, who is a registered dietitian and works in a hospital, agrees with you.)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Hang on, they're wiping the powdered sugar from their hands.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 05:19 PM

Parkinson's, Alheimzers (sp?), Down Syndrome, MS are examples of afflictions that would warrant true disability assistance.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Hang on, they're wiping the powdered sugar from their hands.
You're on a roll today.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 05:21 PM

No, that's not right at all. People can break both their legs to get in a wheelchair and get government benefits.

Your objection is because you think they can just try harder and cure this 'disability.' Oftentimes, they can't. It may have been their fault for getting into this mess, but that doesn't mean they can just snap themselves out of it.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 05:24 PM

You're on a roll today.
It really was The Breakfast of Champions.

I feel no guilt about this

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 05:24 PM

Breaking both legs bad enough to be put into a wheelchair is a lot different than eating yourself into a wheelchair.

The former could happen instantly, while the latter happens over time.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2006, 08:32 PM

I was in aruba last summer on vacation and it was incredably easy to spot which people were American vs europeans. The Amercians were over weight. I mean the difference was striking, we get so used to seeing over weight people we're now blinded by it. Go to another country and all of a sudden the majority of people are skinney except for the American tourists.

While there are certainly genetic or glandular problems that cause some (read very very few) people to be obese, it seems that a lot of people here prefer to eat fast food and watch tv. We seems to like to blame others here in the states and not take any personal responsibility. This extends to our eating habits and lack of exercise.

Remember the lawsuit that was tossed a few years ago. A gentlement was trying to sue McDonalds because it was their fault for making him fat. Nobody twisted his arm to eat that bic mac and fries.
Michael

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 08:34 PM

Rumor  (op)
Dec 21, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I was in aruba last summer on vacation and it was incredably easy to spot which people were American vs europeans. The Amercians were over weight. I mean the difference was striking, we get so used to seeing over weight people we're now blinded by it. Go to another country and all of a sudden the majority of people are skinney except for the American tourists.

While there are certainly genetic or glandular problems that cause some (read very very few) people to be obese, it seems that a lot of people here prefer to eat fast food and watch tv. We seems to like to blame others here in the states and not take any personal responsibility. This extends to our eating habits and lack of exercise.

Remember the lawsuit that was tossed a few years ago. A gentlement was trying to sue McDonalds because it was their fault for making him fat. Nobody twisted his arm to eat that bic mac and fries.
Great post.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post

That's very likely to be true. Sadly it's starting to go downhill here in Australia too, so it's not just America anymore.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 12:51 PM

Let's go the other direction. Would you be ok with extending disability status to a person who is anorexic and needs help? Both are eating disorders expressed in a different way. Perhaps we focus more on obesity because of our judgemental nature. An obese person is unacceptable because they got themselves into that position by overindulging--one of the seven deadly "sins", gluttony-- in our culture.

An anorexic person who has an equally extreme problem deprives themselves. However doesn't depriving yourself have a noble quality to it in a strange Judeo-Christian manner? I think people have a tendency to feel more sorry for an anorexic and more judgemental toward an obese person.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2006, 01:01 PM

Extreme caloric restriction to the point of near-starvation (you know, anorexia) has been shown to vastly extend the life-span of laboratory animals. Up to 200%, I believe.

We should be encouraging people to be anorexic.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 22, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Let's go the other direction. Would you be ok with extending disability status to a person who is anorexic and needs help? Both are eating disorders expressed in a different way. Perhaps we focus more on obesity because of our judgemental nature. An obese person is unacceptable because they got themselves into that position by overindulging--one of the seven deadly "sins", gluttony-- in our culture.

An anorexic person who has an equally extreme problem deprives themselves. However doesn't depriving yourself have a noble quality to it in a strange Judeo-Christian manner? I think people have a tendency to feel more sorry for an anorexic and more judgemental toward an obese person.
I have just as much sympathy for anorexic people as I do obese people.

So, no. They shouldn't (and actually don't) qualify for disability benefits.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 01:25 PM

Very good point.

Rumor: As far as I know, mental illnesses listed in the DSM are covered by disability insurance, and that would include anorexia. On the other hand, I don't know of any reason that obesity would be covered unless it was related to some other disorder or severe enough that a person truly couldn't work (e.g ,the person was confined to bed). Do you have any evidence that obesity per se is a covered disability (not to mention that anorexia is not)? It might be nice to know as we discuss this.

Rumor  (op)
Dec 22, 2006, 01:47 PM

American Obesity Association - Disability Due to Obesity

Social Security Disability
If you are obese, you may be entitled to disability payments from the Social Security Administration (SSA). According to the SSA, $77 million are paid monthly to approximately 137,000 persons who met obesity requirements for disability under criteria used prior to May 15, 2000, when a new policy was issued. Most of the people who qualified for benefits under the old policy claimed to have muscle or skeletal complications.
I haven't been able to find anything on anorexia yet.

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 04:36 PM

Wow, that $77 million could wipe out poverty. Instead we're stuffing more calories into our obese population.

Sum tings wong.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by kc311v2 View Post
Wow, that $77 million could wipe out poverty.
Really ? Where ? In Beverly Hills ?

-t

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 05:43 PM

I was thinking more of Fargo.

cdetdi
Dec 22, 2006, 09:12 PM

The amount of bigotry in this thread is astounding. Everyone, it seems, is a health god, is in great shape, eats modestly and with the right balance, and can slap advice to all those they deem irresponsible for not "preventing" this "preventable" disease.

And the only thing that can be thought of is "gladular" disorders? (which has nothing to do with conservation of energy) Can't someone realize the enormous diversity in our bodies, and in what some people can or cannot do? Besides a glad disoder, can't we mention things that stop people from running the 5 miles everyone here apparently can? Arthritis, perhaps? Low bone density, or stress fractures in the feet/ankles/knees? Asthma? These things prevent people from excersing. True, they don't stop someone from getting up and running, but they make such activity so immensely painful it can become torture. So, these people, not able to excercise every calorie they eat, should be forced to a diet of vegetables? Who made us God to decide that?

Moreover, and I'm sure many of you can relate with this, the job market today doesn't adequately allow for family, or personal time. People sit at desks, in cubicles, and only get up for lunch, which they might eat at their desk. They aren't "deciding" to eat improperly, but their job demands habits that aren't ideal.

Not every person classified as obese has some of these (very short) circumstances, and some can be simply classified as more-in than more-out. But how is that distinction made? Are any of us able to draw a definite, universal line about what is, or what is not, "your fault"? If you claim you can, I'm sure I'll make no impression on you what so ever.

Point here, its not easy to practice the perfect-habits preached in this thread. The sooner the arguement moves on from "its your fault" and to "what can we, should we be really doing about this" (other than making it someone else's fault), the sooner this issue will be resolved.
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

Rumor  (op)
Dec 22, 2006, 10:13 PM

No one stated that they were the vision of physical perfection.

I am technically considered obese at 200lbs and 5'10".

Besides, the topic is people who are grossly overweight, say by 150 or 200lbs. You don't just wake up fat one morning.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 22, 2006, 10:29 PM

In the 90s you could get disability for being a alcoholic. Too big of a drunk to go to work? Here is a check!

I believe that was put a stop to though.

cdetdi
Dec 22, 2006, 11:52 PM

No one stated that they were the vision of physical perfection.

I am technically considered obese at 200lbs and 5'10".

Besides, the topic is people who are grossly overweight, say by 150 or 200lbs. You don't just wake up fat one morning.
Yeah, but the point was that it isn't that simple. It is hard to stop weight gain somtimes, even if its only 5 pounds a year, in 10 years you'd be up 50 pounds. That small amount of weight gain isn't sitting on your ass or eating unheality. For those that can't excercise, such a small amount of weight gain may not be avoidable. And then people who don't have time to work out, those who have a job and children, have too much else and too much other stress. We shouldn't just blame and punish them for doing what they can but not perfectly managing their eating habits...if a mother becomes a hundred pounds or so overweight after having children or taking care of an elderly relative, whatever, I'm not sure they should be denied healthcare if they have issues...

I'm not a supporter of "fat bias" lawsuits, however. Some industries, being overweight just won't get you very far, thats a fact. Some people can be successful regardless, but I don't think people should be suing over it...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

Rumor  (op)
Dec 23, 2006, 05:04 AM

Um, did you just skim through most of this thread without actually reading it?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 06:10 AM

There's no excuse for obesity. Come on, you expect me to believe that during the caveman days people could become disgustingly obese like all the fat slobs we have nowadays?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Come on, you expect me to believe that during the caveman days people could become disgustingly obese like all the fat slobs we have nowadays?
Well, yes, of course. Because it's a disease that even existed back then.
[/not_serious]

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cdetdi View Post
Yeah, but the point was that it isn't that simple. It is hard to stop weight gain somtimes, even if its only 5 pounds a year, in 10 years you'd be up 50 pounds. That small amount of weight gain isn't sitting on your ass or eating unheality. For those that can't excercise, such a small amount of weight gain may not be avoidable. And then people who don't have time to work out, those who have a job and children, have too much else and too much other stress. We shouldn't just blame and punish them for doing what they can but not perfectly managing their eating habits...if a mother becomes a hundred pounds or so overweight after having children or taking care of an elderly relative, whatever, I'm not sure they should be denied healthcare if they have issues...

I'm not a supporter of "fat bias" lawsuits, however. Some industries, being overweight just won't get you very far, thats a fact. Some people can be successful regardless, but I don't think people should be suing over it...
There are certainly a confluence of factors that could cause someone to be obese not all of which are their fault. However, many obese and overweight people rely upon trumped up "health problems" as an excuse not to exercise and expect people to believe them. Bullsh**. If someone has stress fractures in their ankle that is likely caused by the obesity in the first place. Nevertheless, there is a cardiovascular exercise in which you sit down, your legs remain stationary and your arms turn a wheel. I've literally seen 80 year olds at the gym doing alternative exercises--and if they can do it then a 40 year housewife certainly can.

You also have to make choices. At lunch today I really, really wanted to dig into the large supreme pizza that my friends ordered but instead I had a healthier option. When I was finished I wasn't hungry for it anymore. That's not to say I can never order pizza but it does mean that if yesterday I had a few donuts and a burger and fries at a holiday party then my choices today need to be more healthy is all.

If your work and personal life is so structured that your health gets worse on a daily basis then you need to consider making changes--for your own sake. Get a less stressful job, stop buying all the luxury crap you think you need--which forces you to work long hours, etc etc. On the other hand, I believe workplaces will eventually be encouraged to provide employees with easier access to healthy food and exercise. This certainly isn't just the individual's fault here. Most of the libertarians on this forum will faint at the thought of employers providing anything at all to their employees I know--but the problem has gotten to point where a national intervention is necessary.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Extreme caloric restriction to the point of near-starvation (you know, anorexia) has been shown to vastly extend the life-span of laboratory animals. Up to 200%, I believe.

We should be encouraging people to be anorexic.
Interestingly, the likelihood for suicide as a "final" remedy is also higher than in the non-anorexic population.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 10:11 AM

There's no excuse for obesity. Come on, you expect me to believe that during the caveman days people could become disgustingly obese like all the fat slobs we have nowadays?
And how do you know that?
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 10:15 AM

Causes

Misdiagnosis of Underlying Causes of Obesity
On this Page:

* List of Underlying conditions of Obesity
* Obesity as a complication
* Obesity as a symptom
* Discussion of underlying conditions of Obesity
* About underlying conditions causing Obesity

▲TopUnderlying conditions list:

advertisement
The list of possible underlying conditions mentioned in various sources for Obesity includes:

* Overeating - see causes of overeating
* Physical disorders that may cause or exacerbate obesity include:
o Metabolic syndrome
o Hypothyroidism
o Familial obesity
o Cushing's disease (type of Cushing's syndrome)
o Cushing's syndrome
o PCOS
o Edema
o Insulinoma
o Pseudohypoparathyroidism
o Prader-Willi syndrome
o Laurence-Moon-Biedl syndrome
o Hypothalamus tumor
o Reactive hypoglycemia (type of Hypoglycemia) - overeating occurs to avoid going "down" into a hypoglycemic attack.
o See also causes of weight gain, causes of overeating or causes of fluid retention
* Psychological causes of obesity may include:
o Comfort eating
o Overeating
o See also causes of weight gain
* Brain disorder causing increased eating (hyperphagia) include:
o Encephalitis
o Brain injury
o Third ventricle tumor
o Some brain tumors
o Chromophobe adenoma
o Craniopharyngioma (type of Brain cancer)

Source: WD writers

▲TopOther underlying conditions related to Obesity:

* Hypertension, systemic
* Weight gain
* Sex hormone binding globulin levels low (serum)
* Thrombophilia
* Striae
* Cortisol levels raised (serum or plasma)
* Pickwickian syndrome
* Hyperlipidaemia
* Abdominal distension
* Arthropathy
* Hyperinsulinaemia
* Female infertility
* Uric acid levels raised (plasma or serum)
* Amenorrhoea
* Carpal tunnel syndrome

Source: Diseases Database

▲TopObesity as a complication:
Other conditions that might have Obesity as a complication might be potential underlying conditions. The list of conditions listing Obesity as a complication includes:

* Binge eating disorder
* Cushing's syndrome
* Metabolic Syndrome
* Physical inactivity
* Polycystic ovary syndrome

- (Source - WD writers)

▲TopObesity as a symptom:
Conditions listing Obesity as a symptom may also be potential underlying conditions.

For a more detailed analysis of Obesity as a symptom, including causes, drug side effect causes, and drug interaction causes, please see our Symptom Center information for Obesity.

* Binge eating disorder
* Eating disorders
* Hyperpituitarism
* Metabolic Syndrome
* Polycystic ovary syndrome
* Prader-Willi syndrome

- (Source - WD writers)

▲TopDiscussion of underlying conditions of Obesity:
Some illnesses can lead to obesity or a tendency to gain weight. These include hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome, depression, and certain neurological problems that can lead to overeating. Also, drugs such as steroids and some antidepressants may cause weight gain. A doctor can tell whether there are underlying medical conditions that are causing weight gain or making weight loss difficult. (Source: excerpt from Understanding Adult Obesity: NIDDK)
▲TopAbout underlying conditions:
With a diagnosis of Obesity, it is important to consider whether there is an underlying condition causing Obesity. These are other medical conditions that may possibly cause Obesity. For general information on this form of misdiagnosis, see Underlying Condition Misdiagnosis or Overview of Misdiagnosis.
Although behavioral causes may be the most important, obesity, as a symptom of non-behavioral causes could be part of disabilities.

It is so easy to judge from appearances, but investigating another layer of complexity is soooo difficult.

Emile M. Cioran

cdetdi
Dec 26, 2006, 07:03 PM

Um, did you just skim through most of this thread without actually reading it?
I read the whole thing. Whats your point? If you are suggesting that my responses are either "5 minutes ago" or off topic, then you're wrong. Clearly the things I brought up are still important, considering macintologist statement:

"There's no excuse for obesity. Come on, you expect me to believe that during the caveman days people could become disgustingly obese like all the fat slobs we have nowadays?"

I don't think that obesity is either something that should be, as in this thread, bashed, or given universal special circumstance. Perhaps you have not read my reply, which suggested that they "not be denied healthcare", suggesting that obesity may be seen as a disability to assure health coverage, but, I clarified later, obesity should be understood to be what it is, a debilitating condition, and suits that claim "fat discrimination" may be bogus in industries that simply cannot have people who are overweight. This point seems to be more on topic than most of the replys.

Zeeb said: "many obese and overweight people rely upon trumped up "health problems" as an excuse not to exercise and expect people to believe them"

I don't think the word "many" is fair, just like saying "many single mothers don't work on purpose so they can get welfare" isn't fair. Some do, but the majority of those who are obese don't. 30%+ of this country is classified as obese, but I haven't seen 1/3 of the population demand special treatment.

Zeeb's second comment: "At lunch today I really, really wanted to dig into the large supreme pizza that my friends ordered but instead I had a healthier option. When I was finished I wasn't hungry for it anymore. That's not to say I can never order pizza but it does mean that if yesterday I had a few donuts and a burger and fries at a holiday party then my choices today need to be more healthy is all."

I can't think that black & white. I'm glad that you have such self control, but that amount of willpower isn't something that we can demand of everyone, I certainly don't have it. I don't think demanding people express this self-control is helpful at all, it is most certainly hurtful and demeaning. Rather, your suggestion that your "healthier" option was just as satisfying suggests a better idea: making foods that are healthy attractive. If a healthier option can be shown as just as satisfying/filling, etc, you help people make good decisions.

cdetdi

1.5G4 15" AlBook

finboy
Dec 27, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Sure. I'm obese, by most definitions, and I also have insulin-resistant diabetes. To eliminate my condition and reverse the weight gain, I'd need to work out professionally every day. I'm sure I wouldn't qualify for disability, though, b/c I make too much and own too much.

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 02:50 PM

I love people that do not know what they are talking about. What exactly you young male (that want all the women to be anorexic twigs) call obese? 6 feet and 120 pounds instead of 80 pounds.

When you get to be overweight or obese you get use to eat lots of food and food that tastes great. Your stomach gets larger and when you have to start starving yourself on a diet it is very very hard to stick to it and continue for the rest of your life. Eating right or diet is the same thing, carrot or celery stick, 2 bites of chicken, fruits, no milk, no bread, no so-called fatty food (like bacon, egss...).

I guess you can get use to be hungry all the time, and not enjoy eating anymore.

Many overweight or obese people often do not eat huge amount of food but since it is difficult for them to move they will not burn it and it will accumulate.

Ah yes, I forgot we have to exercise at least 2 hours a day to an athletic pace until we taste dirt.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 02:56 PM

How is any subject always about guys treating women as sex objects?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 03:47 PM

The caveman defense? Is that like the chewbacca defense? Cavemen weren't subject to Alzheimer's disease either. Or radiation poisoning or mercury poisoning or repetetive stress disorders.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by cdetdi View Post
Zeeb's second comment: "At lunch today I really, really wanted to dig into the large supreme pizza that my friends ordered but instead I had a healthier option. When I was finished I wasn't hungry for it anymore. That's not to say I can never order pizza but it does mean that if yesterday I had a few donuts and a burger and fries at a holiday party then my choices today need to be more healthy is all."

I can't think that black & white. I'm glad that you have such self control, but that amount of willpower isn't something that we can demand of everyone, I certainly don't have it. I don't think demanding people express this self-control is helpful at all, it is most certainly hurtful and demeaning. Rather, your suggestion that your "healthier" option was just as satisfying suggests a better idea: making foods that are healthy attractive. If a healthier option can be shown as just as satisfying/filling, etc, you help people make good decisions.

cdetdi
However, I didn't consider the decision I made about not eating the pizza that day to be an example of unusual self-control. I stated in my response that I previously ate quite heavily (and joyfully) the day before.

You can have pizza, burgers, ice cream whatever you like but you just cant have those things everyday at every meal. You make that sound like thats such a huge sacrifice. I also hear people overstate and exaggerate what they would have to do to lose weight. They say things like, "In order to lose 30lbs I'd have to switch from having two supreme pizzas for dinner every night to a 8oz salad-for the rest of my life." That is not true. You won't be able to have pizza in an extreme amount but you certainly can continue to eat it from time to time.

I knew a very nice lady at work who was grossly obese. She would always eat salads and healthful things at work and I couldn't figure out why she couldn't lose weight. One day she was out of the office and called me to retrieve something from her desk drawer. Inside every drawer there were candy bars, cookies, chocolate etc. I guess she just didn't want to be judged and I felt sorry her. I'm not trying to be overly judgemental here but the problem does not to be addressed honestly.

Moderation is a word that a lot of Americans don't understand when it comes to eating. It means you can have fatty, sugary things sometimes but other times you have to eat more whole foods, vegetables, lean meats etc. I know if someone has a stressful day or is depressed its easy to eat something that makes you feel better. I do that sometimes to. There's nothing like a pint of Ben & Jerry's or chocolate to brighten an otherwise horrible day. I guess if you do that on a regular basis than one should try and figure out what is wrong with their lives and treat the underlying problem. Or, at least choose something else to prop yourself up if you're feeling down that won't ruin your health.
( Last edited by Zeeb; Dec 27, 2006 at 05:49 PM. )

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 05:36 PM

Moderation is a word that a lot of Americans don't understand when it comes to eating.
Oh, it doesn't apply to much else, either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules