Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Crashed

Powerbook Crashed
chapcalledjake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 05:03 AM

Hey all!
Newbie here.

Bought my long-awaited powerbook and yesterday Tiger came through the post too. So went along and installed it. Everything works perfectly, however, since last night, my computer's crashed twice! for no apparent reason! is it because that the Dashboard is running and it's making everything else a little slower? The first time, I was trying to eject an external drive by dragging the icon from the desktop to the trash can, it crashed and i had to restart the computer, fortunately that worked. And this morning, when I was adjusting the "Hot Corners" in Systems Preference, it crashed again, I can still work on the system preference window despite everything's very slow, but the dock is not responding at all. And this time, restarting the computer isn't good enough, I had to press and hold the power button to force it to switch off!

I am alittle worried about this as you can imagine, but is there anyone can shed a light on this and just tell me why this is happening?

Many thanks folks!

Jake

ibook_steve
May 5, 2005, 12:31 PM

When you say it crashed, are you talking about a hard freeze (cursor stuck or infinite spinning beach ball in all applications) or a kernel panic (grey screen with multiple languages telling you to restart)? You can always try to force quit any single application that freezes, including the Finder which, I think, reboots the dock. This could be a bad RAM issue. Try running the hardware test DVD or remove any recently installed RAM.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules