Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Activity Monitor magic cure - someone to please explain?

Activity Monitor magic cure - someone to please explain?
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2011, 04:36 PM

Ok, here goes. I tried to search but I can't even think of any valid search terms.

A lot of times when I first open a Netflix streaming movie (other times too, but this is most common), it will be just terrible, and the cpu is pegged full on. Pausing the movie to let it buffer brings the cpu down to about 90%, but it still can't play smoothly. Now here's the weird part: if I open Activity Monitor usually Safari is using most of it, but simply selecting Safari in Activity Monitor immediately makes it drop its usage to almost nothing. Then I can close Activity Monitor (or not), and the movie plays flawlessly from then on.

Now, I like being able to do this "fix," I really do, but WHY is it happening?

ibook_steve
Mar 14, 2011, 07:06 PM

Weird.

I don't have an explanation for what you are seeing, but the first thing I would do would be to reinstall the plugins that Netflix uses for streaming.

Have you tried another web browser to see if the problem still occurs?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2011, 08:19 PM

Just tried to replicate that issue, but I couldn't.

-t

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2011, 12:49 PM

It is on a pretty slow laptop, so when Netflix is streaming normally it takes like 80% of the cpu. I've noticed it on my Mac Pro too, but maxing out 1 of 4 cpus there doesn't really hurt me, so I never follow-up there.

I'll try it with a different browser today and see if it happens

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2011, 08:04 PM

It happened again today, despite updating Silverlight (the streaming video platform netflix uses) and switching to Firefox. This time I tried not selecting the browser, just opening Activity Monitor and waiting. It still stopped, so selecting it at least is not part of it.

I'm still looking for ideas on why I would change the outcome by measuring it. Schrödinger's Mac?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2011, 02:12 AM

Try selecting other processes, see if when you click, the CPU load changes.

Perhaps Activity Monitor does an instant update for the clicked item, not waiting for the usual update cycle. And you happened to click after the load had dropped, but before the usual update.

Activity Monitor does not do that under Leopard or earlier, not sure about SL.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2011, 02:32 AM

Perhaps clicking on the process in Activity Monitor changes its "nice" value?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Try selecting other processes, see if when you click, the CPU load changes.

Perhaps Activity Monitor does an instant update for the clicked item, not waiting for the usual update cycle. And you happened to click after the load had dropped, but before the usual update.

Activity Monitor does not do that under Leopard or earlier, not sure about SL.
Oh I forgot to say, I'm watching the total system load in MenuMeters the whole time, that is how I know there is a problem (high load while it should be idle). MenuMeters is what drops to nil shortly after I open Activity Monitor. I have tried waiting variable lengths before opening Activity Monitor

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Perhaps clicking on the process in Activity Monitor changes its "nice" value?
How can I test this theory? Actually it doesn't make sense to me because shouldn't that only affect it if another process wants the resources? In this case it is dropping the total system usage (according to MenuMeters), not just that process to make way for another one.

This is 10.5 by the way

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
How can I test this theory? Actually it doesn't make sense to me because shouldn't that only affect it if another process wants the resources? In this case it is dropping the total system usage (according to MenuMeters), not just that process to make way for another one.

This is 10.5 by the way
You can compare the nice values before and after you do this trick.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2011, 01:45 PM

I don't know if this applies to what you're seeing Uncle, but in the past I've noticed that sometimes Activity Monitor reports processor utilization spikes until you open up its window, and then the spike goes away. It's been my assumption that the spikes aren't real but instead some kind of glitch in Activity Monitor or top that underlies it. I used to see this on my G5 commonly. You may think that the processors are pegged because that's what you see, but it may not really be the case.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 03:56 PM

How do I check nice values?

It could be a measurement error, except that the streaming video is really terrible before, and smooth after.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2011, 01:44 AM

Nice values are visible through top/Activity Monitor... The fields are explained here:

top - Linux Command - Unix Command

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Oh I forgot to say, I'm watching the total system load in MenuMeters the whole time, that is how I know there is a problem (high load while it should be idle). MenuMeters is what drops to nil shortly after I open Activity Monitor. I have tried waiting variable lengths before opening Activity Monitor
Make sure you're using the latest version of MenuMeters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules