Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > American Protestantism is dead politically

American Protestantism is dead politically
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2011, 03:03 AM

We are are all used to conservative Protestantism carrying the water for the Republican party for the past 30 years or so. But I think it might be over.

I think the essential reason that the list of Republican hopefuls is so pathetic is because Obama is simply seen as unbeatable by anyone with two brain cells to rub together. The smarter Republicans are sitting it out.

But forget all that for a second and consider this: the only two sane candidates are both Mormon. Though enormous and politically-engaged, the entire Protestant community of the United States couldn't provide a single, capable hopeful for office, but the tiny Mormon community provided two, both of whom are better than all the others, if somewhat bland and uninteresting.

It looks like the conservative Protestant community in the U.S. is falling apart politically.

First, many of them are too stupid to recognize that they are being played like a fiddle by the secular neo-conservatives, and have been for almost 30 years. The neo-cons have achieved nearly everything they wanted to some degree, but the religious right has lost every battle except Prop 8 - and that was because of the Mormons!

Second, the conservative Protestant communities are drifting theologically, which is impacting their ability to relate to real-world political issues. The commitment to an inerrant Bible is making them a laughing stock in discussions about science education. The heretics of the Prosperity Gospel are providing endless comedic fodder resulting in the well-known internet memes like "Republican Jesus" and "Supply Side Jesus." The apocalyptic focus of churches attended by Palin and Bachmann scares the crap out of anyone concerned about international peace. And lastly, the mainstream conservative churches are being bleed dry by the Pentecostal churches, who are siphoning away the most enthusiastic church-goers.

Third, a deep bitterness is setting in. A cult of victimization has taken over in the wake of social setbacks like gay acceptance and sex education. They feel rejected and marginalized like never before, and the phrases from the New Testament about "If they hate you, remember that they hated Me first" are being recast as self-justifying slogans. The rejection of conservative social values is being embraced as a marker of their "true Christianity." We are rejected, just like Jesus was! This creates a serious dissonance: how can a community that thinks it has been rejected also provide leadership for the whole country?

In light of all of that, it's no surprise that it's all coming to an end. A bitter conservative Protestantism cannot compete with the cheerful Mormons.

I could be entirely wrong, especially since this all came to me in a flash about 30 mins ago. I just thought I'd share an unusual spark before it became polished (or dulled) by reflection and consideration.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2011, 05:52 AM

Well lets hope you're on to something. There is no excuse for such ignorance of the obvious and indisputable truth in this day and age.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The smarter Republicans are sitting it out.

But forget all that for a second and consider this: the only two sane candidates are both Mormon.
I see what you did there.

Besides, you're forgetting that good old Newton Leroy is a Catholic now. Conveniently, he converted after taking this third wife, which one would presume is his final one, now that he has to listen to the Pope.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2011, 07:54 PM

Or until he converts again when he starts feeling polyamorous.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules