Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wanda Sykes "mulatto" joke at WHCA Dinner

Wanda Sykes "mulatto" joke at WHCA Dinner
Tiresias
May 11, 2009, 09:43 AM

What did you think of Wanda Sykes' performance at the White House Correspondents' Annual Dinner?

I liked it; however, I definitely thought her "mulatto" joke about Obama was a tad off colour. Paraphrase:

It feels so good to have a black president... unless you screw up. Then everyone will be asking, "What's with that half-white guy? Who ordered up a mulatto?"

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 11, 2009, 09:54 AM

You might even say she was going for some black humor, but only got halfway there.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
What did you think of Wanda Sykes' performance at the White House Correspondents' Annual Dinner?
Sounds like racist crap to me (why does it "feel so good to have a black president"?). The sooner America becomes colour-blind and folks are judged for the effectiveness of their bank bail-out plans and inflationary print runs, the better. I won't hold my breath.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 11:05 AM

Oh, this should be good.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 11:16 AM

See y'all on page 7.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
You might even say she was going for some black humor, but only got halfway there.
Wouldn't that be mulatto humor?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 09:40 PM

You mean some hack pretended they were funny at a WH correspondent's dinner and caused controversy with how far on "the edge" they were?

The only thing that is news here is the fact that the media isn't all up in arms over it like they would if it were a conservative "comedian" and not a black woman kissing up to "The Chosen One" ....but their hypocrisy and lack of honesty isn't really news either so...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2009, 10:01 PM

Black comedians being given free passes for subtly racist humor by liberal correspondents?

Tiresias  (op)
May 11, 2009, 11:07 PM

I used to think the rules of racial humor were pretty clear cut: Every race is allowed to mock itself, except for blacks, who are allowed to mock almost everyone.

But something about this mulatto joke didn't feel right.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 06:30 AM

Instead of a traditional "roast", the whole diatribe was hateful - except of course when it came to the President who the speaker clearly adored. This is what the press corps does for one of "their own". No surprise really.... and they wonder why fewer and fewer people listen/watch/read them anymore?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sounds like racist crap to me (why does it "feel so good to have a black president"?). The sooner America becomes colour-blind and folks are judged for the effectiveness of their bank bail-out plans and inflationary print runs, the better. I won't hold my breath.
Why do you think Obama is president? There's only one reason and that's his skin color. I've noticed that it's okay for black people to say that they voted for him because he's black, but if I'd said I voted for McCain/Palin because they are white, I'd be labled as a racist.

And I used to think Wanda was funny, but when comedians bring their twisted and warped politcial views into it, it just isn't funny anymore.

Notice how everyone attacked Rush for saying he hoped that Obama would fail, but this style of comedy is acceptable?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Why do you think Obama is president? There's only one reason and that's his skin color.
While I don't doubt that that had a bearing on matters, I don't think it's the only reason. Why? Because I saw Blair win in '97 after a campaign of "change. change. hope. change. hope. change. hope. change. change. hope. change". The campaign theme song was "Things Can Only Get Better". Ring any bells?

The moronic general public seems to respond to this kind of empty campaigning.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 07:43 AM

I was looking for a transcript, and all that came up was her joke about Limbaugh, where she called him a "traitor" and the "20th hijacker".

I can't stand Rush, but that's genuinely over the line.

Edit: one of the reasons Rush is so loathsome is his "dissent is un-American" attitude. What a ****ing hypocrite she is.
( Last edited by subego; May 12, 2009 at 07:51 AM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 12, 2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was looking for a transcript, and all that came up was her joke about Limbaugh, where she called him a "traitor" and the "20th hijacker".

I hadn't seen a transcript either. I agree that's over the line.
She should have called him a big, fat idiot. Not only is that funnier, but an attitude like that can get you elected!

Let's face it, though, if it weren't for Steven Colbert a few years back, no one would be paying attention to this event.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 08:44 AM

Edit: one of the reasons Rush is so loathsome is his "dissent is un-American" attitude. What a ****ing hypocrite she is.
So it's loathsome if a conservative says it but it's American when liberals say it?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 08:45 AM

While I don't doubt that that had a bearing on matters, I don't think it's the only reason. Why? Because I saw Blair win in '97 after a campaign of "change. change. hope. change. hope. change. hope. change. change. hope. change". The campaign theme song was "Things Can Only Get Better". Ring any bells?

That's true, as well. I remember Slick Willie saying "I feel your pain..." crap towards poor black people. I had to vomit at the thought of that. I feel your pain... give me a ****ing break.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 10:36 AM

So it's loathsome if a conservative says it but it's American when liberals say it?

You need to reread my post. I called Sykes bad names with swears.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 11:48 AM

That sounds somewhat similar to the campaigns of EVERY SINGLE PERSON TO EVER RUN FOR OFFICE IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 12:07 PM

Daily news asks "Why does Wanda gets a pass?"

Here is what David Feherty, a golf guy who poses no threat to the memory of Lenny Bruce, wrote in a Dallas magazine recently:

"If you gave any U.S. soldier a gun with two bullets in it, and he found himself in an elevator with Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Osama Bin Laden, there's a good chance that Nancy Pelosi would get shot twice, and Harry Reid and Bin Laden would be strangled to death."

Not funny. An old joke, tastelessly retold. Feherty of CBS - who once wrote a book called "Somewhere in Ireland a Village is Missing an Idiot" - is drawing fire because of it. But you have to wonder how a similar joke might have played at the White House Correspondents' dinner on Saturday night, as long as it was about a Republican.

Because here are a couple of jokes Wanda Sykes wrote and then delivered to that crowd:

"You know, you might want to look into this, [President Obama], because I think maybe Rush Limbaugh was the 20th hijacker, but he was just so strung out on OxyContin he missed his flight. ...

"Rush Limbaugh hopes the country fails? I hope his kidneys fail, how 'bout that?

Read more: "David Feherty shouldn't get pass for tasteless joke - but neither should Wanda Sykes" - David Feherty shouldn't get pass for tasteless joke - but neither should Wanda Sykes
45/47

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
That sounds somewhat similar to the campaigns of EVERY SINGLE PERSON TO EVER RUN FOR OFFICE IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER.
No.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 12:17 PM

I love how people write opinion columns to complain about some incident and say that it "got a pass." Sounds like Mike Lupica needs a self-esteem boost. Your opinion matters, Mike!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2009, 12:20 PM

I loved the video showing all of McCain's whacky promises like fixing the deficit in one day or personally chasing Osama to the gates of hell, presumably killing Cerberus along the way.

Of course the partisan shills will conveniently forget this (and like you said, every other campaign since Grok ran for cave president) and accuse Obama of being the only president to ever say he was going to change things for the better.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda Sykes
Rush Limbaugh, one of your big critics -- boy, Rush Limbaugh said he hopes this administration fails. You know, so you're saying, I hope America fails. You're, like, I don't care about people losing their homes or jobs or our soldiers in Iraq. He just wants the country to fail. To me, that's treason. He's not saying anything different than what Usama bin Laden is saying. You know, you might want to look into this, sir, because I think maybe Rush Limbaugh was the 20th hijacker, but he was so strung out on Oxycontin, he missed his flight.
I'm sorry. But she slammed Limbaugh with that one right there!

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 01:11 PM

What would Ms. Sykes get a pass for? What does that even mean. People can say what they want, and people can get offended by what they want.

It's not like Limbaugh or Sykes or Feherty are being accused of committing crimes. They all say or said inappropriate things. Big whoop.

Since people are complaining about it, it sounds like Sykes isn't getting a "pass".

I do think she stepped over the line and her comments weren't really appropriate for the venue, but what are you going to do? She's a comedian and who cares.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Daily news asks "Why does Wanda gets a pass?"
That joke was hilarious. Reminds me of the one that goes "what do you call the fleshy wasteful growth of skin around a brain tumor?"

Ted Kennedy

andi*pandi
May 12, 2009, 02:14 PM

speaking of lines.

screener
Senior User
May 12, 2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
The only thing that is news here is the fact that the media isn't all up in arms over it like they would if it were a conservative "comedian" and not a black woman kissing up to "The Chosen One" ....but their hypocrisy and lack of honesty isn't really news either so...
Conservative comedian?
Like the Bushies thought Colbert was without realizing his conservatism was satire?

Was there ever a conservative host at these WHCA dinners?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Conservative comedian?
Like the Bushies thought Colbert was without realizing his conservatism was satire?

I'm pretty sure the "Bushies" thought no such thing.

The White House doesn't pick the speakers. The liberal White House press corps do.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2009, 06:27 AM

Conservative comedian?

No, Conservatives aren't allowed to speak at these sorts of functions. They're too mean-spirited and angry. Joking for someone's health failure is eco-friendly, peaceful, and happy.
ebuddy

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 15, 2009, 07:28 AM

That's because Conservatives aren't really all that funny.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2009, 07:43 AM

I'm very bothered by her whole presentation. First off, her use of "mulatto" smacks of black comics' use of "the 'n' word," as in "only we can use it-it's hate speech if anyone else even thinks it." Wrong. The "m" word is a historical description of lineage, and to my knowledge has never been used (at least in the U.S.) as hate speech. 'Course "retard" is hate speech, even if it's used in a comedic context such as Ben Stiller's character in "Tropic Thunder." (Confidentially, I did consider the fact that the pres' parents weren't both African American as only a partial "step for equality" for African Americans, but that's a whole different discussion.)

Then there's Wanda's attack "humor." It's not "gee this guy is pretty silly," but more "gee I wish this guy would get run over by a train...that train over there in particular; here, let's give him a push." "Mean spirited" is a mild term for how I feel she did this whole performance. I really don't care about Limbaugh's feelings, but she went for the jugular with a passion in that "joke." The Ted Kennedy joke is different in nature; it doesn't say anything about his motives, or really him specifically, but it focuses on his disease (which softens the joke because it's not even a cancer he had an active part in acquiring).

Don Rickles' humor was ALWAYS over the top enough that it was clear he was not being personal. Every "hockey puck" joke was presented precisely and accurately enough that you could ALWAYS tell that his schtick was "I'm playing an insecure guy who compensates with aggressive behaviors." You don't have to understand the psychology to understand that his humor is not "being aggressive and rude is funny," but rather "the way I show this behavior is funny." Ms. Sykes has a lot of studying to do if she thinks she can just throw the aggressive, bullying speech around and call it "humor."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 15, 2009, 08:50 AM

Wasn't Rush Limbaugh lambasted by the media for saying he hoped Obama would fail? I don't hear anything from the media about this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2009, 11:50 AM

Jeff Foxworthy is not funny? What about Dennis Miller, Jackie Mason?
Wasn't Rush Limbaugh lambasted by the media for saying he hoped Obama would fail? I don't hear anything from the media about this.
It was all over the news. He countered with the fact that on the morning of 09/11/2001, James "Alien" Carville was hosting a seminar on how to make sure W would not have a successful presidency. However, the events of that morning changed his time line.

In the spirit of this thread
My fave bumper sticker
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2009, 04:32 PM

There's a few of 'em, but they generally draw from life experiences after 16.
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2009, 04:34 PM

Jeff Foxworthy is not funny? What about Dennis Miller, Jackie Mason?
Dennis Miller is empirically unfunny. There have been studies.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2009, 05:02 PM

In the spirit of this thread
My fave bumper sticker

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2009, 05:15 PM

I think the real problem is that Wanda Sykes isn't that funny.

finboy
May 15, 2009, 05:32 PM

If by "satire" you mean "stupid" then yeah.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 16, 2009, 05:56 AM

I think the real problem is that Wanda Sykes isn't that funny.
No, I think she is damned hilarious, it's just that when comedians and actors and other famous people inject their political views, it just churns my stomach. I used to think Whoopi Goldberg was funny and a good actress until she made her comment about slaves and McCain on The View.

I also used to think Rosie was a good actress, now when I see her I want to vomit. People like this should just not speak anymore.

The same goes for Jeaneane Barforolo, or whatever her name is. She was good in Cats and Dogs, but her political viewpoints are so far left its stomach-churning. The same could be said of Danny Glover. Great actor but please just shut the **** up about your hatred of Bush and Republicans...

screener
Senior User
May 16, 2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
If by "satire" you mean "stupid" then yeah.
Only if you or your beliefs are being satirized.

To the rest of us, he's hilarious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules