Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > i can't believe the iphone doesn't...

i can't believe the iphone doesn't...
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 02:01 PM

have mms or instant messaging even a basic nokia 6030 does those things

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/09/i...ning-workbook/

surely this can't be correct???
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 02:04 PM

I agree the lack of IM is a major oversight, but who sends MMS phone-to-phone? I only ever send photos from my phone to email addresses.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2007, 02:04 PM

I'm sure it will be added.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 02:05 PM

my sister sends me lots of mms pics of my niece, how could they overlook something as simple as mms
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 02:05 PM

It's pretty much universally agreed that IM is coming, but they decided not to put it in for release (maybe needs more debugging or something).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 04:17 PM

If IM is coming, fair enough. As for MMS, never used it. If they are in the room with you, send it over bluetooth, if they are somewhere else, email them. Job done.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 04:24 PM

MMS is needed, lots of people use it!

-Owl

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 04:32 PM

Yup the lack of MMS is pretty retarded.

There is always something or some piece lacking from Apple's hardware. In this case it's MMS. Something pretty essential these days.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OreoCookie
Jun 9, 2007, 05:15 PM

No, MMS isn't essential, send e-mails, people!
I've been doing this in Japan a few years ago and people don't realize they don't need MMS, just attach the pic/video to an e-mail and send it. Since everybody had (and still has) push e-mails, you could send it not just to your friends' computers, but also to other cell phones.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 05:18 PM

Software updates will be coming. It'll probably added.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 05:36 PM

Do you expect IM to work over packet data or SMS?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 06:15 PM

what do you use MMS for?
we don't have time to stop for gas

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 06:17 PM

My best friend 1200 miles away doesn't have Email. (*gasp*) So pic messages are it.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 06:23 PM

not everyone will have an iphone or email access on their phone. Plus email isn't always push, with the iphone only yahoo is push right? I use gmail and don't feel like getting yet another email address.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 06:47 PM

My friend doesn't have a phone, SMS or e-mail. I feel that the iPhone needs to account for this situation.
Chuck
___

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
My friend doesn't have a phone, SMS or e-mail. I feel that the iPhone needs to account for this situation.
Built in printer and envelope maker? Carrier pigeon too?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2007, 07:08 PM

Agreed. Where is my built-in telepathy?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Dunno about the US, but email costs something like 100X as much as MMS around here.

Lack of MMS support is pretty lame. At least it would be if you can get the phone unlocked. If you're locked to AT&T's or Roger's iPhone plans then it may not matter. It won't for me at least, since I won't be buying a locked iPhone any time soon.
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 9, 2007 at 08:05 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

I've been doing this in Japan a few years ago and people don't realize they don't need MMS, just attach the pic/video to an e-mail and send it. Since everybody had (and still has) push e-mails, you could send it not just to your friends' computers, but also to other cell phones.
I know approximately three people (I think) who have e-mail configured on their phones.

ONE who has push e-mail.

1. Take picture with phone.
2. hit "Send" and enter phone number from phone book.
3. profit.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 08:14 PM

I know exactly zero people I wouldn't murder if they filled up my phone's limited text message memory with photos.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

My phone has 300+ MB of free memory after everything I want on there is on there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 08:30 PM

I know exactly zero people I wouldn't murder if they filled up my phone's limited text message memory with photos.
There's something called a Delete button on most phones.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2007, 09:00 PM

Not every phone can receive e-mail, and for most phones that can, people didn't set their phone up to do it, because it is a) expensive and b) complicated to set up and c) slow and d) retarded to read e-mail on a regular phone (screen smaller than that of the iPhone, ie. almost any phone). Also e-mail is not instant like an MMS message. Probably less then 1 ‰ of phone users read e-mail on their phones.

So yes, to send pictures and stuff from phone to phone, MMS is essential.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 09:05 PM

Ironically, the only type of email I send is MMS to email, cuz it's a heluvalot cheaper than email to email.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
My best friend 1200 miles away doesn't have Email. (*gasp*) So pic messages are it.
*gasp*

You shouldn't design 21th century technology around people living in the 18th century.

-t

Delicious-Apples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2007, 10:43 PM

The iPhone does appear to be missing a few vital features (MMS, Video, Chat, GPS etc). Hopefully we'll get some 3rd Party support pretty soonish. It will still only be available on the WiFi networks tho I guess.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 11:01 PM

I'm thinking that if the iPhone is successful, it will force the other carriers and phone makers to improve their crappy email and browsing experiences. MMS will not be necessary after awhile. Was MMS ever really meant to be THE solution, or was it just a next step above SMS?

Email done right is the future on cell phones. Apple will lead the way. The sooner the better. I am tired of crappy phones and the crapware on them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
I'm thinking that if the iPhone is successful, it will force the other carriers and phone makers to improve their crappy email and browsing experiences. MMS will not be necessary after awhile. Was MMS ever really meant to be THE solution, or was it just a next step above SMS?
True, true.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 11:08 PM

I'd have to second guess whether or not I get it if MMS isn't supported.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 11:28 PM

I'm not buying until IM and GPS are supported.

Edit: Am I alone in wishing it had some expansion options? I'd love to have a barcode scanner on an iPhone for asset management at work. Maybe the rear mounted camera would work.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 11:34 PM

If they allow third-party expansion, the camera should be able to scan barcodes just like Delicious Library does with an iSight.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 11:41 PM

If they allow third-party expansion, the camera should be able to scan barcodes just like Delicious Library does with an iSight.
Right, that's what I was thinking. I'm eager to hear what comes out of the keynote regarding iPhone apps. Sadly I couldn't make it to WWDC this year, but the iPhone is definitely a porting target for our custom asset management app. Hauling around a laptop is just a pain and a half.

I'm hoping we still get to use Cocoa. I've written an entire internal framework that cleanly bridges Cocoa to MySQL. It uses native Cocoa classes (NSPredicate, bindings, controllers, sort descriptors, etc), so if we got access to Cocoa even without bindings it wouldn't be a bad porting job.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 03:08 AM

No MMS? Bit of shock, that. You'll be telling me it's not a 3G phone next.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2007, 03:11 AM

Hmm, seems that not a lot of people use MMS, but I do, and a lot. I wouldn't call this a deal breaker but it's gonna be really hard for me without MMS.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
I don't care how the email "experience" is on a cell phone, I'm not going to use it as long as it costs so much that you have to sell your right arm in order to afford it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kiskynet
Jun 11, 2007, 03:31 AM

MMS was designed by a mobile phone industry to find a way to monetize their crap camera phones. It's lame, hardly used most people don't know what it is (in comparison to something useful like SMS) and totally irrelavent when you have a decent email client which does attachments the way the iPhone does. Previously I imagine most phones / networks crippled this ability on anything but smart phones to force you into doing things in ways they could gouge you in the pocket for.
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 04:17 AM

Apple hasn't been successful in the past several years trying to build devices that do everything... They focus on building products that do a few things really well.

Look at the original iPod... how many features would you have wanted to add to it? Color screen, docking, recording, other file formats, etc, etc... even now the iPods are missing wifi, bluetooth, and a slew of other features that the Zune and other devices have.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 04:19 AM

Oh, basically, I'm saying... the Apple built the iPhone to do a few things well... phone, iPod, internet (real internet, not mobile.. though we're seeing limitations)...

The 2nd and 3rd generations are obviously going to kick the original iPhone's ass.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by kiskynet View Post
MMS was designed by a mobile phone industry to find a way to monetize their crap camera phones. It's lame, hardly used most people don't know what it is (in comparison to something useful like SMS) and totally irrelavent when you have a decent email client which does attachments the way the iPhone does. Previously I imagine most phones / networks crippled this ability on anything but smart phones to force you into doing things in ways they could gouge you in the pocket for.
No, most cell phone numbers in Europe are prepaid. Prepaid plans often do not offer email functionality or if they offer it, it's way too expensive because it requires internet access. MMS is supported by all carriers and doesn't cost and arm and a leg. It's supported by default just like SMS. You don't need to pay extra for that service.
Add to that that a lot of carriers block email ports and require you to get their most expensive data plans which are in turn unavailable to prepaid customers.

As such, like others said before, email clients are hardly used by anyone. I tried using it once (I have a normal plan, no prepaid) and it's was pain in the ass and slow and downright useless. MMS is much quicker, like SMS.
Email on a phone is only relevant for people who have push email.

Don't expect the iPhone to turn this trend around, not in Europe anyway. Not as long as prepaid reigns supreme.

That is for me the largest problem with the iPhone. Data on cell phones is still way to expensive for most people and the iPhone sort of requires it. And the lack of MMS doesn't help.

Bottom line: MMS remains necessary until email support comes free with your service or when it's at least as cheap as SMS or MMS.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
No, most cell phone numbers in Europe are prepaid.
That's a bit too broad a generalization, I think. Up here prepaid doesn't seem that popular.

But even in our monthly billed world, I agree with the MMS part- mobile email really hasn't caught on yet, making MMS the standard for pics and videos.

A Europe Edition of the iPhone should have 3G, MMS and no crappy lock-in to a spesific carrier. Up here, people switch service providers weekly, if given a better deal. (Without changing their phone number or phone, for that matter.)

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
That's a bit too broad a generalization, I think. Up here prepaid doesn't seem that popular.
It may be a bit broad, yes. I agree. But the fact remains that the percentage of prepaid is much higher compared to the US. Our market situation is completely different. And I really hope that Apple realises this. And they need all the help they can get to realise this, Apple Europe is a bit slow.

I'll try and look for some stats on prepaid. The only number I've found so far was 24% prepaid users and that was in 1998. Almost 10 years ago. The PDF also told me that 76% of mobile users in europe is not interested in email on their phones. But I don't know how relevant that is since it's 1997-98 data.
I hate that you need to buy most data at ridiculous prices. Finding free statististics on the internet isn't easy. Or my google skills suck.

I also found that prepaid is only 2% in Finland, that explains a lot . And up to 90% in Italy. (but that's according to wikipedia).

Low-cost MVNOs Shake Up Stagnant Prepaid Mobile Market in this press release they claim that prepaid has a 60% market share.
( Last edited by Goldfinger; Jun 11, 2007 at 07:56 AM. )

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 07:53 AM

I know all my friends' phone numbers but few of their email addresses. MMS is therefore a lot easier!
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 09:44 AM

The thing I don't get about MMS is this: So you use your phone's snazzy new 3 megapixel camera to snap a photo of yourself dangling over the Eiffel Tower railing or whatever. You then can either
(a) send it to a friend's email, where they'll view at their convenience on a 17" monitor. They laugh, enjoy it, zoom in, maybe make it a wallpaper or something.
or
(b) send it to their phone via MMS, where it immediately appears on a 176x134 pixel screen. They squint, make out some blue sky, realize from the phone number that it must be you, but can't really recognize you in the dark smudge.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
The thing I don't get about MMS is this: So you use your phone's snazzy new 3 megapixel camera to snap a photo of yourself dangling over the Eiffel Tower railing or whatever. You then can either
(a) send it to a friend's email, where they'll view at their convenience on a 17" monitor. They laugh, enjoy it, zoom in, maybe make it a wallpaper or something.
or
(b) send it to their phone via MMS, where it immediately appears on a 176x134 pixel screen. They squint, make out some blue sky, realize from the phone number that it must be you, but can't really recognize you in the dark smudge.
My carrier allows me to send MMS to email, and it's the same price as MMS to MMS, and I don't have to set anything up.

However, if I send email to email, it's $$$$, and I have to go through an annoying config process to set it up.

I'm in Canada, but my understanding is many European and US carriers are the same way.

P.S. If I'm sending MMS to a phone, it will be maybe 30-50 KB. If I send MMS to email, I'll use a picture size of maybe 200-300 KB.

It's possible the iPhone will come with some killer prices for data plans, but I suspect they'll be locked to that phone and not usable with other phones. If so, I'm not interested.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Yup the lack of MMS is pretty retarded.

There is always something or some piece lacking from Apple's hardware. In this case it's MMS. Something pretty essential these days.

You know, I have no clue what the difference between a text message and an SMS is... and people don't actually TALK on the cell phone anymore?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
You know, I have no clue what the difference between a text message and an SMS is... and people don't actually TALK on the cell phone anymore?
SMS = Text message.
MMS = Picture or video message, with or without text.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 11:08 AM

I can't believe the iPhone doesn't....

have a camera on front for video chats.
require you to buy .Mac.
doesn't have a whole bunch of deals lines up with online webpages.
break when touching it.
make your girlfriend like you more.
make sweet sweet love to you at night.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
make your girlfriend like you more.
make sweet sweet love to you at night.
Did they remove those features? I know they were in the top secret version I tried. But then my girlfriend got jealous of the phone and it was really kind of a disaster.
Chuck
___

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 11:11 AM

Hmm, so maybe I use MMS without realizing it -- if sending photos directly to email addresses is ordinarily handled via MMS... Okay, then that is silly, but I imagine the camera<->email binding will be pretty tight on the iPhone, so it should be fine.

JoshuaZ, I actually agree that the iPhone really should have a front-mounted camera for iChat.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
No, most cell phone numbers in Europe are prepaid. Prepaid plans often do not offer email functionality or if they offer it, it's way too expensive because it requires internet access. MMS is supported by all carriers and doesn't cost and arm and a leg. It's supported by default just like SMS. You don't need to pay extra for that service.
Add to that that a lot of carriers block email ports and require you to get their most expensive data plans which are in turn unavailable to prepaid customers.
I see Belgium’s a lot different from Denmark. My boyfriend’s carrier (prepaid) doesn’t support MMS at all, but it does support e-mail. My carrier (also prepaid, but of the slightly more expensive kind, though definitely still discount pricing) does support MMS, but it costs an arm and a leg: 20 Euros for opening up the MMS capabilities, and then about 60 cents (Euro) to send an MMS. Opening up e-mail support is free, and using it is free as well—it only charges by the amount of data sent or received, which is relatively cheap (about 1 Euro per MB).

I don’t know exactly how it works with other carriers, but I only know one or two people who ever use MMS. In my circle of acquaintances, at least, MMS is almost nonexistent. Using e-mail on your mobile isn’t all that common, either, but more so than MMS, at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules