Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Pop-Unders, Buzzing, spyware

Pop-Unders, Buzzing, spyware
tbanucci
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 07:37 PM

MacNN is really trying my patience lately with all the pop-unders and annoying ads. I've been reading this site for at least 9 years and have even supported MacNN by clicking on ads that I find useful. Now I have pop-unders and things trying to download to my computer every time I visit.

I've read the other threads and will not switch browsers to solve this problem. I'm a Safari user, and I love Safari- so I'm sticking with it. Every other site I visit is fine and works well for me. I sync my bookmarks with .Mac and love it. I'm not going to switch to FireFox so I can sit here and enter filters to stop the ads.

I suggest MacNN do something about the annoying ads and downloads or I will be moving my Mac News gathering to a different site. I believe I share the same feelings as many other MacNN fans here. You have been surviving for years without these extra ads, I'm sure you will do fine without them in the future too.

mkbhatia
Administrator
Feb 22, 2005, 08:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks for reading MacNN and providing feedback. The "buzzing" ads have been permanently banned by all of our networks--as have all audio ads. Unfortunately, one network still requires manual categorization of audio ads, and some representative made an error on Friday evening, which led to the ads being served most of the weekend. As soon as I read about /noticed the problems, i deactivated the network ads and requested that the ad be removed. I have also warned the network about future audio-ad problems.

Spyware:

There is no spyware on MacNN. Safari is not configured by default to properly display ContextAd.aspx files, which are served in an iframe for the ads. The causes the download. I have asked the technical team to change the extension to accommodate Safari users.

Pop-Unders:

I'm not sure where these are coming from, but i will make sure I get these blocked in the next 24 hours. Sorry for any inconvenience.

best,
monish

tbanucci  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 09:36 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I hope that it gets resolved soon.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2005, 10:41 PM

Yeah, everyone who runs MacNN hates annoying ads as much as anyone else (well, other than brain-dead marketing execs, who seem to live in a world of their own). But since ads are what fund running the site, we have to work with ad companies. Striking the right balance can be tricky, and any time we get annoying ads here, it's not because we wanted them!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules