Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Mac Mini Core2 upgrade... time to crunch!

Mac Mini Core2 upgrade... time to crunch! (Page 2)
bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 01:36 PM

I just installed temp monitor. It shows the current temp but doesn't show max (safe) temp in the menu. Looked on apples site for the max temp info but can't find it. Any know the max values for the mini? I'm running boinc for WCG and my temps are 86C core 1 and 94C core 2. Seems high.
Randy

Fourth Horseman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I just installed temp monitor. It shows the current temp but doesn't show max (safe) temp in the menu. Looked on apples site for the max temp info but can't find it. Any know the max values for the mini? I'm running boinc for WCG and my temps are 86C core 1 and 94C core 2. Seems high.
Randy
I do not have the link anymore, but on Intel's web site I saw that they list this processor as being safe up to 100C and that it goes into thermal protection mode (auto-shut down? throttled?) at 125C. So while our Minis are pushing the envelope it appears that we are still within design tolerances.
- Fourth Horseman -

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 4, 2007, 10:07 PM

Just found this neet utility to cool our mini's. Its called SMCfancontrol 2.0. Lets you adjust the fan speed. I just installed it and works like a charm. Goto
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049 .
Randy

Fourth Horseman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 11:21 PM

Just found this neet utility to cool our mini's. Its called SMCfancontrol 2.0. Lets you adjust the fan speed. I just installed it and works like a charm. Goto
smcFanControl 2.0 - MacUpdate .
Randy
Nice find! I just installed it and am running it now. I set my MacMini's fan to 5000 RPM and so far my CPU is running about 82-83 deg under full BOINC load. I guess by default the fan never spun up this high, eh?
- Fourth Horseman -

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 12:00 PM

At 5000 rpm, must sound like a plane engine. Not sure how durable the fans are running at a higher rate constantly bu am trying different setting for optimum cooling. So far 2400 rpms cool pretty good. I still have a 10 to 15 degrees difference between the cores running boinc. Not sure if this is ok or I should call apple on this. At least I won't have to try drilling holes in the side to cool it down. Lets keep updating this forum to find the best settings for this cool program.

Fourth Horseman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 04:27 PM

More like a hair dryer. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot, RPM wise. I'm at just under 4500 RPM right now and hovering at about 84 - 85 deg C. This is with an ambient room temp of about 23 deg C. Without making any changes to the fan speed with SMC Fan Control, the Mini was running its fan at about 3900 RPM under full load. So right now I've only stepped that up by ~600 RPM.
- Fourth Horseman -

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049 .
Randy
bearcatrp:
Thanks for posting the link. My MBP had been running between 89 and 92 deg. C until about a week and a half ago, when it suddenly began running betwen 93 and 96 deg. C with an occasional surge up to 97 deg. C. I was able to spot the exact time in my Temperature Monitor history window, but can't attribute a cause.

It's now running back in the 88 - 92 deg C randge, and the fan is a bit louder, but not enough to bother me. I analyzed the TM history a bit more and discovered that the small 12-14 credit WU run 2-3 degrees cooler than do the 62 credit WU.

beadman

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 07:51 AM

So far, the temp seems to fluctuate with different work units. Been keeping it around 2500 rpms with ambiant temp around 113 degrees F. If I read the instructions right, it was supposed to revert back to original settings on a reboot. I rebooted yesterday and it kept the same settings. Going to contact the owner about it. Otherwise, this little app is sweet.

zombie67
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 09:27 PM

Apple has Mac Mini Solo refurb for $479. Get 'em while they last!

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 6, 2007, 09:37 AM

Hey fourth horseman, how's the upgraded mini doing so far? Getting close to upgrading mine but waiting a little more hoping the price drops with the new chips comming out.
Randy

zombie67
Senior User
Apr 6, 2007, 10:15 AM

FWIW, I installed smcFanControl. I upped my fan speeds from "default" to 3500. My temps dropped form ~90c to ~82c.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 04:35 PM

No matter how hot they are, they can't be as hot as a G5 system so relax!

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 7, 2007, 11:01 AM

Just checked newegg for the prices. Looks like i'll be waiting. Almost twice as much for a 2.33 vs a 2.0. I can get another mini (dual core) for the price of a 2.33 ghz. Maybe wait to see what kind of an upgrade apple has planned for the mini. My guess, a little bigger box, 128 independant graphics card and a core2duo chip.

ChillyWilly5280
Apr 7, 2007, 04:47 PM

My guess, a little bigger box, 128 independant graphics card
That would surprise me because it would surely raise the price and the whole idea behind the Mini is low price and small form factor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules