Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Crunching in sleep mode?

Crunching in sleep mode?
owlsoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 01:39 PM

I must confess to paying little attention to my BOINC projects, I just let them run, and check every so often. So just this Monday I studied the "messages" pane in my BOINC manager, and noticed there was no activity all weekend -- seems like none until I woke it from sleep this morning. I was convinced that I had read that BOINC continues to run with the computer in sleep mode

Does BOINC continue to function in sleep mode? Do I have to set my OS X energy saver settings to keep it from sleeping? Should I let the monitor sleep, but not the CPU? Will it wear out my processors to run BOINC all the time?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 02:13 PM

Nothing is running when the comptuer is sleeping.

Your processor is a solid state electronic device. It won't wear out.

Turning off the monitor is a good idea.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 03:24 PM

I agree. I have my MBP set to turn the display black after three minutes, but the screensaver is never started, and the processor is never put to sleep. Screensavers use CPU processing time, so it's better to just have the display go black. However, for security purposes, I have my screensaver set up so it has a hot corner, and the Security Systems Pref is set to require a password to wake from screensaver. I can intentionally move the cursor to the hot corner to activate the screensaver if I'm going to be away from it for some time, and someone walking by can't get into my files because the Security Pref requires a password to access the computer. I also have my account set up so it does not automatically login on reboot.

beadman

ChillyWilly5280
Apr 16, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by beadman View Post
However, for security purposes, I have my screensaver set up so it has a hot corner, and the Security Systems Pref is set to require a password to wake from screensaver. I can intentionally move the cursor to the hot corner to activate the screensaver if I'm going to be away from it for some time, and someone walking by can't get into my files because the Security Pref requires a password to access the computer.
In Keychain Access, there is an option to put a padlock icon in the menu bar. From there you can "Lock Screen" without activating the screen saver. Plus it eliminates the aggravation of accidently activating the screen saver if you are like me and have the mouse set for high speed tracking.

Chris
( Last edited by ChillyWilly5280; Apr 16, 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: additional information)

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 11:49 PM

I use a screensaver called Basicblack. All it does is turn the screen black and does not use any power.

Forum Links
Forum Rules