Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 112)
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Yes, it would be a glorified DVD player, and again, I think this would be the only way for HD-DVD to survive. Sell them as glorified DVD players, hope some of those people you sell to pick up HD-DVD's on the side, and then maybe if you last long enough and gain enough of an install base you can convince a few studios to go neutral a year or two down the road.

There is no way the prosumer crowd is going to be convinced to go HD-DVD at this point.
Maybe if it was early in the game, but it's near the end of the game. Sell HDDVD movies or die. There is no one or two year down the road. It's the next few months or that's it.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm hoping that this post was just to inform SWG. Otherwise the Bluray crowd would be completely devoid of any sense of sarcasm.
Do me a favor and stop mentioning me when you don't know something.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Since most of the people I know who bought HD-DVD players at Christmas sent/took their units back, after Warner Bros' announcement, I don't know how well this will work.
Most of the people you know? How many is that? What you are saying just isn't true. There are only a few who returned them.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Do me a favor and stop mentioning me when you don't know something.
You're right. I had no idea that Dell and Alienware shipped computers with Bluray.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What would one use home-made hi def disks for, other than piracy? Be honest.. a majority of the uses would be piracy-related.
Hidef home movies and wedding videos maybe? Never own a camcorder?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 06:01 PM

What would one use home-made hi def disks for, other than piracy? Be honest.. a majority of the uses would be piracy-related.
We have an HD camera here at work and shoot plenty of video with it. As it stands we have to convert it for DVD. Would be nice to be able to burn it to an HD viewable format as well.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 06:11 PM

I'm sure a solution to that will come. But we all know that there is far more pirated content available to anyone with a PC and an internet connection, and that most people aren't going to be using rip/burn features to make wedding videos.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 06:34 PM

I'm sure a solution to that will come. But we all know that there is far more pirated content available to anyone with a PC and an internet connection, and that most people aren't going to be using rip/burn features to make wedding videos.
You mean since most PC owners with a DVD burner have an internet connection to download movies and DVD iso, no one is buying DVDs anymore?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I dunno but this guy went through all sorts of speakers and amps. I swear he must have spent $30000 on a 2-channel stereo system after all was said and done. Personally I thought he was nuts, but short version is that every time he auditioned SACD for me I was completely unimpressed... just like I've been less than enthused with DVD-A (which I own).
This isn't very surprising. I've auditioned many systems that looked great on paper, and cost well in excess of $50K, which were poorly implemented or ineffectively setup. However, just because something is on SACD or DVD-A doesn't mean it's automatically going to be better than CD, I've listened to too many poorly mixed discs. Not to mention, most rock/pop music is limited in it's dynamic range, due to compression and poor mastering techniques, and isn't likely going to benefit from higher resolution formats. Considering, however, how much classical I listen to, I've really enjoyed my Integra DPS-10.5.

I can't wait until Integra Research releases their universal Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, etc. etc. player. May even buy the thing new, and I almost never do that sort of thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Most of the people you know? How many is that? What you are saying just isn't true. There are only a few who returned them.
It's just ancedotal, but I know 10 people who bought those ultra-cheap players during x-mas, and 7 took them back after WB made their announcement. They weren't very amused.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 06:42 PM

It's just ancedotal, but I know 10 people who bought those ultra-cheap players during x-mas, and 7 took them back after WB made their announcement. They weren't very amused.
For every anecdote that says there are many returns after the WB announcement, there are more anecdote that says otherwise. Retailers and Toshiba already said it wasn't true.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:46 PM

My friend brought over his HD camcorder last week and I was testing it out.

HD camcorders are extremely common now, considering they're in the sub $1000 price range already. If I were buying a camcorder today, I'd only consider an HD one.

I guess you've never used iDVD then. Camcorders are extremely popular, and iDVD is a great complement to that. HD is just the next step.

It would be very easy to add HD DVD support to iDVD (since it already exists in DVD SP and in some ways it's like a DVD on steroids), but it doesn't seem they can realistically add Blu-ray to that at the moment. (We'll see tomorrow, but I would be very surprised if they added Blu-ray to iDVD at Macworld.) It seems the Blu-ray manufacturers must be intentionally preventing this, because otherwise I just can't explain it. For example, although the concept exists, Blu-ray on DVD-R simply doesn't work at the moment. The PS3 can't play back Blu-ray on DVD-R. The PS3 (along with Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray standalones) can play back AVCHD (which is very similar to Blu-ray) on DVD-R, but AVCHD is not an official Blu-ray format. I think they're doing this to push people to use AVCHD, since it's another format that Sony developed (along with Panasonic). So who cares if it's an official format or not? Well, if you burn AVCHD instead of proper Blu-ray, it won't work on many standalone Blu-ray players cuz, well, it's not proper Blu-ray.

Besides the AVCHD angle, I guess they're afraid of piracy as you suggest... yet they allow burning of the exact same stuff to BD-R. Burn a true Blu-ray project to BD-R and it works, but burn it to DVD-R and it doesn't... even if it's some wedding video that's only 20 minutes long and only takes up 2 GB. Burn it to DVD-R in HD DVD format, and it works just fine, an all HD DVD players ever made. And basic HD DVDs like that (if using MPEG2 or AVC) will work in DVD Player too on Macs.

The ironic part of all of this Blu-ray seems quite ill-suited for home computers at this time, despite its very nice 25/50 GB storage capacity.

This isn't very surprising. I've auditioned many systems that looked great on paper, and cost well in excess of $50K, which were poorly implemented or ineffectively setup. However, just because something is on SACD or DVD-A doesn't mean it's automatically going to be better than CD, I've listened to too many poorly mixed discs. Not to mention, most rock/pop music is limited in it's dynamic range, due to compression and poor mastering techniques, and isn't likely going to benefit from higher resolution formats. Considering, however, how much classical I listen to, I've really enjoyed my Integra DPS-10.5.
Which is why DVD-A and SACD were doomed to failure. Spend $30000 and it still sounds the same.

With hi-def media, you can see a significant improvement on hardware available at Wal-Mart.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 14, 2008 at 07:05 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:46 PM

For every anecdote that says there are many returns after the WB announcement, there are more anecdote that says otherwise. Retailers and Toshiba already said it wasn't true.
Well, Grrrr! Be defensive. I'm just telling what I've witnessed.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Which is why DVD-A and SACD were doomed to failure. Spend $30000 and it still sounds the same.
For most rock discs, that is true. I still buy the SACD versions of most things, if I can, but just because they're hybrid media.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 07:05 PM

Well, Grrrr! Be defensive. I'm just telling what I've witnessed.
I'm not being defensive against what you witness. I'm was merely countering your defensive argument that most people are returning their HDDVD players solely based on your anecdotal evidence.

If you have said what you had witness most of your friends had return their HDDVD player after the Warner annoucement, I wouldn't have said a word. But you are making generalize claims that most people are returning their HDDVD players after the Warner announcement.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2008, 07:45 PM

I'm not being defensive against what you witness. I'm was merely countering your defensive argument that most people are returning their HDDVD players solely based on your anecdotal evidence.

If you have said what you had witness most of your friends had return their HDDVD player after the Warner annoucement, I wouldn't have said a word. But you are making generalize claims that most people are returning their HDDVD players after the Warner announcement.
No, I wasn't "making generalize claims that most people are returning their HDDVD players". I said, "Since most of the people I know who bought HD-DVD players at Christmas sent/took their units back, after Warner Bros' announcement, I don't know how well this will work".

I never made a "defensive argument", whatever that is.
- Thomas Paine

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Nobody has been "snapping up BR movies" just like no one was snapping up HD DVD movies. Both formats sell way too few copies to be considered a success.
Who has ever said or even implied that either was a success and what does that have to do with it? There was a format war going on and people would have to be stupid to snap up discs of either format knowing they had a 50% chance of getting scruwed over. Now that Blu-ray has won it has a chance of being a success. People didn't fail to flock to either format because they didn't like them, it was because they were too smart to. Geez, stop implying that people didn't like either one. So dumb.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Who has ever said or even implied that either was a success and what does that have to do with it? There was a format war going on and people would have to be stupid to snap up discs of either format knowing they had a 50% chance of getting scruwed over. Now that Blu-ray has won it has a chance of being a success. People didn't fail to flock to either format because they didn't like them, it was because they were too smart to. Geez, stop implying that people didn't like either one. So dumb.
I couldn't agree more. I'm now considering my next TV purchase, and I might as well pick up a PS3 while I'm at it. Not so much for the games, but for all the other cool stuff it can do. Oh, and it plays HD movies.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 11:20 PM

Blu-ray early adopters "knew what they were getting into," apparently - Engadget HD

I knew what I was getting into... that is why I got a PS3.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 11:25 PM

Toshiba Refuses To Wave The White Flag In HD DVD-Blu-Ray War -- HD DVD -- InformationWeek

Look like Toshiba might be holding out for a cash payout from Sony.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 01:06 AM

No, I wasn't "making generalize claims that most people are returning their HDDVD players". I said, "Since most of the people I know who bought HD-DVD players at Christmas sent/took their units back, after Warner Bros' announcement, I don't know how well this will work".

I never made a "defensive argument", whatever that is.
Well, I'm just telling you that you are jumping to conclusions without the facts.

After the initial shock after the Warner announcement, HDDVD sales are back up on Amazon.

Amazon Sales Ranks: Customized HD DVD / Blu-ray Graphs | High-Def Digest

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 AM

Well, I'm just telling you that you are jumping to conclusions without the facts.

After the initial shock after the Warner announcement, HDDVD sales are back up on Amazon.

OMG they are going to winz!

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 01:20 AM

Those number change from day to day and almost never reflect the neilsen numbers even though amazon sales are a subset. The majority of sales are still through B&M stores. I expect the ratio for last week (available this friday) to be 80+ for blu-ray and the ratio for this week (announced friday next week) to be in the 90's for blu-ray. It's over even though the fat lady has not sung yet.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 01:32 AM

Woman knew what she was asking for by wearing short skirt - Sony
Yeah. Everyone who bought a player KNEW their **** was gonna get dodoed

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Woman knew what she was asking for by wearing short skirt - Sony
Yeah. Everyone who bought a player KNEW their **** was gonna get dodoed
What the hell are you talking about? It has been confirmed by blu-ray insiders and regular consumers that Profile 1.1 titles play fine on Profile 1.0 devices and that the extra features downgrade gracefully so as to not offer PIP options on 1.0 devices.

Stop spreading bullcrap I don't care how much MSFT is paying you to do it.

Educate yourself on wikipedia.org. I've had enough of your lies.

I have personally conformed that this is how it works with my PS3 before and after the firmware upgrade with the 1.1 title Resident Evil: Extinction.
--
Aristotle

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 AM

We don't need to be calling each other liars, do we? It is true that the older devices don't support all the features of the new profiles.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 AM

Man, I really wish we could still play by old school rules. That way, I could truly enjoy doing what it is that I do. Alas, I gotta play nice. Oh well.

You're right. I'm wrong. I'm just jealous that my team didn't win the format super bowl. You guys certainly have better cheerleaders and I humbly declare defeat. Enjoy Resident Evil: Retardation or whatever it is you kids are watching these days. May all of our features degrade so gracefully when the time comes.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 AM

I have a HD-A2 in addition to a PS3 so I've tried both formats.
Here is my collection including 19 HD DVD titles so I'm not just some blind Sony fanboy who knows nothing about the other format.

DVDSpot: Front Page

I look forward to a cheaper standalone Blu-ray player coming out soon and I believe that the Blu-ray recording camcorders will be popular with people who are not looking to go through the trouble of editing home movies on their computer.

Because HD DVD only has two studios left and no camcorders in the pipeline, I don't see a future for it.
--
Aristotle

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
We don't need to be calling each other liars, do we? It is true that the older devices don't support all the features of the new profiles.
But it's a lie to say they will stop playing those new titles.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 AM

Amazon Top Sellers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ef=pd_ts_e_nav

Updated every hour, so it might be different when you look at it.

Top 3 DVD players. Outselling DVD players and Bluray

1. Toshiba HD-A3
2. Toshiba HD-A30
3. Toshiba HD-A35

So people are still buying HDDVD players, even the $270 HD-A35.

Top movers and shakers

Amazon.com Movers & Shakers: The biggest gainers in Electronics sales rank over the past 24 hours.

Sales for HD-A3 up 183%, rank at #5
Sales for HD-A35 up 154%, rank at #7

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 04:07 AM

Amazon Top Sellers

Amazon.com Electronics Bestsellers: The most popular items in DVD Players & Recorders. Updated hourly.

Updated every hour, so it might be different when you look at it.

Top 3 DVD players. Outselling DVD players and Bluray

1. Toshiba HD-A3
2. Toshiba HD-A30
3. Toshiba HD-A35

So people are still buying HDDVD players, even the $270 HD-A35.

Top movers and shakers

Amazon.com Movers & Shakers: The biggest gainers in Electronics sales rank over the past 24 hours.

Sales for HD-A3 up 183%, rank at #5
Sales for HD-A35 up 154%, rank at #7
I'm sure HD DVD fans at AVS are taking the opportunity to buy their third, fourth or fifth player.

They are getting backup units before they're gone as Toshiba failed to announce fourth generation players at CES.
--
Aristotle

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:34 AM

I think this whole ordeal has emphasized how impotent the Hollywood movie industry has become, much like the rest of the entertainment industry.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
I'm sure HD DVD fans at AVS are taking the opportunity to buy their third, fourth or fifth player.

They are getting backup units before they're gone as Toshiba failed to announce fourth generation players at CES.
4th generation players? Really? The HD-A3 went on sale in Oct 2007. 4th generation already?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 07:01 AM

Sometimes I wonder how people here would really feel about HD DVD if it were Apple that supported the format instead of Microsoft. . . . And, why is everyone buying into a format that doesn't even have a finished spec yet? I don't get it. . .

How many different versions of DVDs were there? As far as I can tell, a DVD player from 7 years (or whenever) ago can do all of the exact same things that a DVD player that you buy today can do. Do all of you have so much disposable income that you can just upgrade to a new Blu-Ray player every time sony decides to add a so-called "feature"? There is only one player on the market that can be upgraded to 2.0, and what after that? Continue to buy more and more players just to be able to use the bonus features on the discs that you have to pay 30.00+ for? Sounds like a great investment to me. . . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
Sometimes I wonder how people here would really feel about HD DVD if it were Apple that supported the format instead of Microsoft. . . . And, why is everyone buying into a format that doesn't even have a finished spec yet? I don't get it. . .

How many different versions of DVDs were there? As far as I can tell, a DVD player from 7 years (or whenever) ago can do all of the exact same things that a DVD player that you buy today can do. Do all of you have so much disposable income that you can just upgrade to a new Blu-Ray player every time sony decides to add a so-called "feature"? There is only one player on the market that can be upgraded to 2.0, and what after that? Continue to buy more and more players just to be able to use the bonus features on the discs that you have to pay 30.00+ for? Sounds like a great investment to me. . . .
Dude this is a Mac board. If Apple supported HD-DVD we would definitely be more on board! You're so brilliant for figuring that out! We even like Windows more now that Apple supports it!

One reason I like Blu-ray is that it's so good that the worst thing that haters can say about it is that there might be cool new features added in the future that we don't even have now! And yes I think that someday if my PS3 can't be upgraded to take advantage of all of them I might even buy a new Blu-ray player and put the PS3 in the bedroom or downstairs. I'm not THAT afraid of the future. Geez, I think you're really grasping at straws. Why don't you give it up soon?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 07:44 AM

The Toshiba Garbage Clearance Sale gets cheaper and this thread just keeps going on and on.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 AM

One reason I like Blu-ray is that it's so good that the worst thing that haters can say about it is that there might be cool new features added in the future that we don't even have now!
That's hilarious. Blu-Ray is filled with problems. I fully realize that it is now positioned to win this war, but to say that there are no problems with it is just ignorant.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 08:20 AM

Dude this is a Mac board. If Apple supported HD-DVD we would definitely be more on board! You're so brilliant for figuring that out! We even like Windows more now that Apple supports it!

One reason I like Blu-ray is that it's so good that the worst thing that haters can say about it is that there might be cool new features added in the future that we don't even have now! And yes I think that someday if my PS3 can't be upgraded to take advantage of all of them I might even buy a new Blu-ray player and put the PS3 in the bedroom or downstairs. I'm not THAT afraid of the future. Geez, I think you're really grasping at straws. Why don't you give it up soon?

I can't wait until all of the 1.0 - 1.1 players fail to run the movies created for 2.0. Surely you saw all the comments from Fox saying "it's not our problem if your player doesn't play our newest movies." Sure, it's been "reported" that 2.0 movies may work, but the last time I checked, no one has seen it happen. . . good luck to you!

Oh, and if, Apple supported HD DVD over Blu-Ray, would you still be just as adamant about it? I thought Blu-Ray was "so good"? In which case, it must not be all that great. Seems to me you just want to spread some fud. I think Engadget has some openings you can check into.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
The Toshiba Garbage Clearance Sale gets cheaper and this thread just keeps going on and on.
I didn't know that my toshiba was just going to stop working now that the majority of the studios went to BR? According to your sig, they'll all be useless. . . Good to know!

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 AM

I didn't know that my toshiba was just going to stop working now that the majority of the studios went to BR? According to your sig, they'll all be useless. . . Good to know!
Of course it will be useless. Anything with an extremely limited library of titles that just keeps getting smaller is useless. Especially if you can't even record on to the discs. I wouldn't touch any next gen player unless it offered recording and lots of disc space. The money you spent on your HD-DVD player would have been better spent on poker (even if you lost!).

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 08:49 AM

Of course it will be useless. Anything with an extremely limited library of titles that just keeps getting smaller is useless. Especially if you can't even record on to the discs. I wouldn't touch any next gen player unless it offered recording and lots of disc space. The money you spent on your HD-DVD player would have been better spent on poker (even if you lost!).
Umm. . . I didn't know you could buy a stand-alone Blu-Ray recorder (or common folk afford one at least). Not that it matters, but my Toshiba will still upscale all DVDs as well as, if not batter than any Sony player out there. Useless it is not. BTW, come talk to me when you get all of those exclusive warner titles released on BR. I'm going to watch Batman Begins in HD.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 08:50 AM

Oh, and one more thing. . . your "extremely limited library of titles" could easily be said about Mac software as well, but we're all still using one.

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 09:14 AM

Oh, and one more thing. . . your "extremely limited library of titles" could easily be said about Mac software as well, but we're all still using one.
Lame analogy.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2008, 09:17 AM

Lame analogy.
It shut you up, didn't it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 10:00 AM

Dude this is a Mac board. If Apple supported HD-DVD we would definitely be more on board!
Better get your HD DVD pom-poms out then.

( Last edited by Eug; Jan 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 AM

Isn't that more of a generic term? Is there a difference between saying HD DVD instead of HD-DVD?

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 10:08 AM

That is a generic term in the app that was there before the HD-DVD disc format support came along. It is an option to output HD to many formats from Quicktime movies to burning DVDs and blue laser discs like HD-DVD. It can burn h.264 to a Blu-ray recorder too even without official spec support currently. Apple will release the patch with for the 1.2 spec which is why it has taken quite some time.

PaperNotes
Jan 15, 2008, 10:09 AM

It shut you up, didn't it?
You couldn't shut me up with a nuclear missile from Allah.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Isn't that more of a generic term? Is there a difference between saying HD DVD instead of HD-DVD?
"HD DVD" is the correct word. There is no such thing as "HD-DVD".

Don't let the claims by others in the thread fool you. "HD DVD" in this context is NOT a generic term. These are spec-compliant HD DVDs that DVDSP produces. IOW, if you burn one of these it will play in both Apple's DVD Player, and any HD DVD standalone player. I've tested it personally to confirm this. The discs produced have the standard HD DVD disc structure with a proper HDDVD_TS file folder.

Furthermore, there is no way to burn spec-compliant Blu-ray discs at this time from this Apple program.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 10:12 AM

I have been fooled!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules