Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How big is a 21" CRT really ?

How big is a 21" CRT really ?
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 12:12 PM

I'm interested in buying an IBM P275 monitor which is in essence a 21" Sony FD Trinitron (see thread with my other question ). Now the thing is that I'm a bit afraid of the size of this thing. Would having let's say 50-60 cm of desk space between me and the monitor suffice ? Or do I need more ? That comes down to a desk that is about 110cm deep (the monitor is about 50cm deep). I'll make my own custom desk for it probably.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 03:55 PM

At first i loved my 21" CRT but not its to the point where I MUST get rid of it, its too damn big. I'm in the process of switching over to a 20" ACD.
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 08:16 PM

Really depends if the space behind the desk is open. CRTs extend some distance behind the base of it, mostly because all the weight of the thing is in the front. If your desk is up against a wall it will take a huge cube of space, if there is space behind it you can back it up more and not lose much. Just remember the viewing area on your 21" CRT is about the same area of a 19"LCD, so if you can swing the few extra bucks, and aren't doing anything gaming intensive or requiring precise color accuracy I would go that direction.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by dracoleb:
Just remember the viewing area on your 21" CRT is about the same area of a 19"LCD.
o-reilly? LCD's have a larger viewable screen than CRT's? I thought it was the same?
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 09:48 AM

yea, the screen size is measured diagonally from the edge of the plastic. On a CRT the image doesn't start until about half an inch to an inch from the plastic, making the viewable area an inch to two inches smaller than the stated size. On an LCD the viewable area starts right at the plastic boarder (or aluminum if you are talking Apple Cinima Display)
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 09:55 AM

Really depends if the space behind the desk is open. CRTs extend some distance behind the base of it, mostly because all the weight of the thing is in the front. If your desk is up against a wall it will take a huge cube of space, if there is space behind it you can back it up more and not lose much. Just remember the viewing area on your 21" CRT is about the same area of a 19"LCD, so if you can swing the few extra bucks, and aren't doing anything gaming intensive or requiring precise color accuracy I would go that direction.
Colour accuracy is THE reason I'm looking at a CRT since I can't afford good LCD screens that cost 1000s of euros. I mean, you can get a 21" FD Trinitron for like �300. The cheapest Cinema is almost �1000 quite a difference if you ask me.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 01:36 PM

yea, the screen size is measured diagonally from the edge of the plastic. On a CRT the image doesn't start until about half an inch to an inch from the plastic, making the viewable area an inch to two inches smaller than the stated size. On an LCD the viewable area starts right at the plastic boarder (or aluminum if you are talking Apple Cinima Display)
No, it's not measured from the edge of the bezel. CRTs are measured from the edge of the glass (which is hidden under the bezel). The visible area of the glass is usually 0.5-1 inch inset from each corner. Thus, the visible area is usually 1-2" smaller than the glass size.

LCDs are measured by visible area only.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules