Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you want a DVD Slot in your Next Macbook?

Do you want a DVD Slot in your Next Macbook? (Page 2)
bloodshot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Um, bloodshot:

I HAVE a slot-loading 400 MHz iMac DV. It handles mini-CDs just fine.

You are wrong. Period.
Hmmm, if that's true I stand corrected. However that is the exact opposite result I have seen. I've worked in the IT industry for over 15 years and I've seen multiple iMacs, PowerBooks, etc. with dead drives because someone tried to insert a mini-CD...

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 10, 2007, 06:13 PM

It's not that they can't be built to handle mini CDs, as has been pointed out. It's that most aren't designed to, and fail miserably.

The iMac DV is certainly the exception these days.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2007, 09:00 PM

I think the only time we MIGHT see it is in a "sub notebook". but I dont know how you would install an OS on it...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by papadopolis View Post
I think the only time we MIGHT see it is in a "sub notebook". but I dont know how you would install an OS on it...
Good point. You could use a USB DVD drive or you could put the sub-notebook in TDM and install a update over FW (or put the Mac with a DVD drive in TDM and use its DVD drive to install a update)
Signature depreciated.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by papadopolis View Post
Probably the exact same way OS's have been installed on every other laptop without an optical or floppy drive for the last 10 years ... external drive.

It's not like this is a new concept. There have been many laptops which have sacrificed the optical drive (or the floppy drive, in the case of the PowerBook Duo) in exchange for a smaller package and less weight.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2007, 01:31 AM

I use a Dell D410 at work (I know, I have my reasons). I must admit I like how the optical drive is an attachment that is port powered. I can't think of the time in the last few years where I needed my optical drive with out planning on it. A nice firewire 400 external drive would give me room for a second HD or a card shoe, or something. Either way, if apple cam out with sub compact w/o a internal optical drive that was equal or better than the Samsung z series I would buy it in a flash, just to stick it to all the VP's who would have computer envy when I popped it out for a presentation or on the road.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Slot-load Blu-ray burner.

Works With:
iBook G4
iMac G5
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro (17-inch)
Mac mini
PowerBook G3 Pismo
PowerBook G4 Titanium (667 Mhz or higher)
PowerBook G4 Aluminum

Only $800... Ouch!

The MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro are not supported.
Hey Eug, any word on a HD-DVD drive that can be installed on an intel iMac ? I'd rather get HD-DVD over BR.

Cheers

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2007, 10:14 AM

I'd rather have two hard disks than one hard disk and a dvd drive.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 22, 2007, 10:21 AM

For the MBP and MB, it makes sense to have everything built-in. Extra external odds-and-ends are a pain to keep track of. That said, I'd be happy if Apple returned to having removable modules for CD/DVD, and even happier if they came up with a real docking station solution, that could accept the same modules.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
For the MBP and MB, it makes sense to have everything built-in. Extra external odds-and-ends are a pain to keep track of. That said, I'd be happy if Apple returned to having removable modules for CD/DVD, and even happier if they came up with a real docking station solution, that could accept the same modules.
Amen to that last bit. Especially if there was a portable docking station option, so if you really have to travel with an optical drive, you could get one that had the same footprint as your MacBook mini (or whatever) and had some extra battery.

But yeah, I can see it being reasonable to ship an optical-free laptop, even without a docking-station option. Salespeople could easily be trained to make sure buyers know they have to bring their own..

Forum Links
Forum Rules