Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Problems with your new Intel iMac?

View Poll Results: Problems with your Intel iMac?
Poll Options:
Trouble free from day 1! Huzzah!! 17 votes (56.67%)
Minor issues, nothing beyond the usual. 9 votes (30.00%)
Lots of troubles. Quality has gone downhill at Apple! 4 votes (13.33%)
Stinker! Lemon! Total buttcrackfill!! 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll
Problems with your new Intel iMac?
rambo47
Mac Elite
May 11, 2008, 09:21 PM

I'm strongly considering a 24" iMac. Probably not the "ultimate" package but definitely maxxed out RAM. That's one thing I've learned over the years: figure out how much RAM you need, then double it. At least.

So what I'm really interested in is how well made folks think the new iMacs are. Hence the poll. Are you happy with yours? Any glaring issues, please sing out! Bash 'em if they deserve it, praise them if they've earned it.

ghporter
Administrator
May 11, 2008, 09:40 PM

I bought my 20", 2.4GHz aluminum iMac a day or so after they were released. Not a single glitch, ever. I installed more RAM, upgraded to Leopard, moved it around, etc. and never had a single complaint. That is not to say that the machine is perfect. If I look for it, I can see that the backlight isn't even-the much discussed "gradient" effect is present on my computer, but I really have to look hard to see it. Otherwise I'm thrilled with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

4GB RAM is the only way to go, and it's an unfortunately low memory ceiling. The 20" screens are awful (cheap TN panels), but aside from those two the Al iMacs are great.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 12:17 PM

Just bought my 24" iMac a week ago. It was an upgrade from a 20" 2.16 C2D iMac. And even though my wife and I normally use our laptops (MacBook Pro and MacBook) 90% of the time... the iMac is great when we're using it. My 4GB RAM kit is on order and in the mail, so I'm eagerly waiting to install it. I sprung for the more expensive Crucial RAM (as opposed to the PQI that was on sale). Only wish the hard drive were an easier upgrade, otherwise I'd pop a terabyte drive in there myself right away. Maybe later on...

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 04:54 PM

While it's still very early in the poll, I am encouraged by the positive comments so far. Looks like I'll be going for the 24" iMac, maximum RAM and the standard 320 GB hard drive. That should be more than enough for my needs. Should come in at under $2200 with tax. Perhaps I can get it set up at The Apple Store here and walk out with it.

asodamiac
Senior User
May 12, 2008, 06:04 PM

I bought the April-release iMac the day it was released and only had one problem, which was with my Dell 2408 monitor. At first, I was unable to mirror the screens or use the 2408 in the portrait position. However, out of the blue, it started to work recently (no updates or anything).

Either way, I am pleased! I'm planning on upgrading from 2GB to 4GB RAM soon. I'm hoping that it will make a big difference! Later on, I may have a 1TB drive installed, but I'll need to make sure this doesn't void my Applecare warranty (I wonder if Apple certified service centers will even do this installation?).
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 11:51 PM

I ordered the 3.06Ghz model with 4GB of RAM on the first day from the Apple online store. Out of the box, there were lines on the display after powering this baby up. I brought it back to the local Apple Store and the Mac Genius replaced it. The one I'm using right is problem free. I purchased AppleCare anyway.

Have been using it for almost a week now. It's my first personal Intel Mac and I'm loving it. Upgrading from a dual 2Ghz PowerMac G5 with 2.5GB of RAM and 900GB total storage + 17-inch studio display LCD. My fanless LaCie d2 external HDD is nosier than the iMac.
( Last edited by Kenneth; May 12, 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: more info.)

asodamiac
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 12:25 AM

Kenneth I agree with LaCie drive part! I've had my iMac for 2 weeks as well and it is SO DARN QUIET! The noise my LaCie drive makes now has become quiet annoying
Dell 2408WFP

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Kenneth I agree with LaCie drive part! I've had my iMac for 2 weeks as well and it is SO DARN QUIET! The noise my LaCie drive makes now has become quiet annoying
Yeap. People keep saying LaCie stuff are unreliable. However, mine is still working sadly. A 500GB G-Drive Q is on order tho.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
May 13, 2008, 02:13 AM

I bought the 24 inch iMac, 2.4, with minimal RAM. I bought 4 GB of RAM from another source and saved many hundreds of dollars, and the memory is very easy to install.

I am enjoying this computer. It runs relatively cool (all things considered) and quiet.

I just replaced my miniStack with a firewire MyBook because of the sound and also because I had some sort of failure with it around the beginning of the year. I have had it for a couple of years now and am not convinced the components will have a long lifespan.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

popstand
Forum Regular
May 13, 2008, 01:23 PM

I have a significant problem with the Airport card on my new 3.06 24" model. It either refuses to connect to my Time Capsule (Two other macs in the house connect just fine), or it connects sometimes, but not others. Also, running an identical internet speed test on my old draft G Macbook yields results twice as fast as my iMac with its draft N card. Weird. I'm going to exchange it, and hope the next one works better.
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

asodamiac
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 03:07 PM

Hmm, I JUST noticed that the brightness is NOT even on my 20" iMac. The screen is definitely darker on the left side than it is on the left. The difference is VERY noticeable with the naked eye, but I took a screen shot of a widget on both the left and right sides and checked the RGB values in photoshop, and they are pretty much the same. There is no change in brightness when moving the same widget across my Dell 2408 monitor as well.

It's a day late to return the iMac, but even with the screen brightness issue, I don't know if it warrants a return. As of now, the iMac's screen simply holds iTunes and a few widgets. Everything else is displayed on the Dell 2408. Still, it's a little disappointing.

Anyone else have problems with their 20" iMac display?

Edit: Just read ghporter's post and it seems like this is something that is common with other iMacs. I can't see the gradient on the monitor when looking at a large window (like iTunes for example), but if a move a smaller widget or window from the right hand side of the monitor to the left, the difference is like night and day.
Dell 2408WFP

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2008, 06:23 PM

asodamiac, the gradient effect I was referring to was vertical, not horizontal. I haven't heard of a horizontal gradient...

asodamiac
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 07:12 PM

By golly you're right...

I have no idea why, but when I was moving the widget, I was moving it from the bottom right corner to the top left. I just tried it again and it is definitely from top to bottom.

Thanks for the clarification!

Are you going to "live" with the problem, or take your chances and send it in for replacement/repairs?
Dell 2408WFP

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 12:21 AM

new 21". flawless.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
By golly you're right...

I have no idea why, but when I was moving the widget, I was moving it from the bottom right corner to the top left. I just tried it again and it is definitely from top to bottom.

Thanks for the clarification!

Are you going to "live" with the problem, or take your chances and send it in for replacement/repairs?
I have to look hard to see it, and even then it's just noticeable, not a problem. If your gradient is worse than that, maybe you should take it in and have it looked at.

ShadowXK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 10:35 AM

i just seen a warp on the back side of the the IMac where the super drive is it's about 1 mm and i have been looking all over the internet to see if more people have that problem but it isn't that big of a problem that i can tell

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2008, 06:03 PM

Just bought a new 2.4 iMac today. It just shutdown on its own while browsing the web earlier... this happened to anybody?

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by iRebound View Post
Just bought a new 2.4 iMac today. It just shutdown on its own while browsing the web earlier... this happened to anybody?
I would try to duplicate it by running your processor on a high load. Chances are, it was a fluke. Sometimes, common on the iMacs, people also forget to push the plug on the back flush with the iMac. But just in case, I would run it hard and try to duplicate it. If it happens again, request a replacement.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2008, 02:10 AM

The first thing i did was check the plug on the back of the iMac. Maybe you're right... at that time I was installing apps, downloading, web browsing and listening to music all at the same time. I will let you know if it happens again!

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2008, 02:12 AM

oh yea, I was reading on the other thread that the same thing happened to someone's mini. It fried the logic board

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2008, 03:22 PM

It just shut down on me again 4 times when running Vista under Boot Camp partition. I've tried to reset PRAM and even ran the extended Apple Hardware Test with no problems. I made an appointment with a Mac Genius on Monday. This is my first intel Mac and already having problems

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2008, 05:11 PM

It just shut down on me again 4 times when running Vista under Boot Camp partition. I've tried to reset PRAM and even ran the extended Apple Hardware Test with no problems. I made an appointment with a Mac Genius on Monday. This is my first intel Mac and already having problems
It's a fluke. Remember that you will see very few "I'm doing great" posts online, particularly in "troubleshooting" forums like this one. Still, I hope the genius gets your issue fixed.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 09:43 AM

Check this out: Apple - Support - Discussions - iMac Randomly Shutting Down ...

190 replies about the iMac random shut down issue.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2008, 01:10 PM

Check this out: Apple - Support - Discussions - iMac Randomly Shutting Down ...

190 replies about the iMac random shut down issue.
The Apple Apologists will always assert it's not a big problem (remember, "people don't post when it works") until Apple announces a program to fix it, at which point they'll brush it off as "already covered under a 'no-hassle' repair program."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 01:29 PM

WTF is wrong with the layout.

Makes the thread unreadable. Eew...

-t

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF is wrong with the layout.

Makes the thread unreadable. Eew...

-t
try to reload it. it did it to me too. reloading the page seems to fix the wide post

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The Apple Apologists will always assert it's not a big problem (remember, "people don't post when it works") until Apple announces a program to fix it, at which point they'll brush it off as "already covered under a 'no-hassle' repair program."
I dunno man... Searching for 'mac random shut down' shows up a lot of results... People say the same thing about the Xbox 360 red ring of death when it first started.

FatGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 02:46 PM

There is one issue I have: getting an "_____ is in use by another application" message when trying to delete something and you know that the other application is closed.

Total pain.

However, that's minor compared to what those folks are going through.
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2008, 02:57 PM

Had to replace the mother board three months after I got my very first Mac which was a Feb 2007 20" iMac.

Not the best introduction to Apple hardware !!!

I blame the Czechs (afaik the 20" that I have was made in the Czech Republic).

I will NEVER not have Apple Care.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I will NEVER not have Apple Care.
I never got Apple Care, and I'm glad I didn't.

I use my Amex card to buy my Macs, so my warranty gets doubled for free.
Getting Apple Care for ONE additional year doesn't make sense to me.

The only times I had an issue was my iBook (Dual USB 500 MHz), which had a logic board issue after 4 years and a broken Airport antenna after 6 years. The former I got replaced for $ 220, the latter I didn't even bother repairing. So for me AC would have been a complete waste of money.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The "people don't post when it works" point is valid. And 190 posts to a troubleshooting forum about this problem does not make it an Apple problem. However, it's quite possible that Apple's manufacturing partner is having problems, or some minor tweak in OS X has interacted with some minor tweak in the logicboard firmware and this is a legitimate problem. Not being an apologist, I can say that. Having just completed my stint as the parent of a teenager, I also have lots of experience with encouraging people not to turn an issue into a world-shattering cataclysm. That was, of course, the point of my earlier post.

popstand
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 04:08 PM

Just got my replacement for the first iMac, and again the airport does not work properly. I have isolated the problem. It appears that the new 24' iMac does not like wireless N or mixed wireless n/g networks. I have tested this extensively. It works fine when connected to the internet through airport express, fine when connected through my neighbors linksys router (both wireless g networks), but will not connect properly to either my time capsule, or the airport extreme that the time capsule is replacing, both n or mixed n networks. Over N the iMac struggles to connect, and when it does connect, it works extremely slowly and unreliably. WTF? Is anybody else having these issues with a new 24" over wireless N? I really don't want to send yet another computer back to Apple. I'm going to start this as a thread to get some more eyeballs on the issue.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 05:07 PM

I don't have such problem. I have the original AirPort Extreme N base station and AirPort Express N, but I set them to 802.11n (b/g compatible): 2.4GHz mode. What's the encryption setting you used?

popstand
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 07:17 PM

@Kenneth...It doesn't seem to matter what encryption mode I use. Are you using a 24" 3.06 GHz with your network? If so, can you do me a favor if you happen to see this reply? Go to Speakeasy - Speed Test , and take the speed test and let me know how it does. I'd really appreciate it. I get 1-3 MBPS down over N (b/g compatible), and 10 MBPS when using my airport express (G only) or my neighbors' Linksys network (also G only). I also stream a slingbox over the local network and this works very poorly with N (b/g compatible), and great with my airport express, which again, should be slower or equal, not faster. My Mac Pro does not have these problems at all, and it has an N card.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 09:03 PM

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5641 kbps (705.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 749 kbps (93.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Mind you.. I have 3 computers at home (2x802.11G, 1x802.11n), PS3, Apple TV, and Wii all using 2 AirPort base stations (WDS).

Qwest DSL: upto 7Mbps down/ 867 kbps up.

popstand
Forum Regular
May 20, 2008, 12:53 AM

Are both your base stations set to wireless n (b/g compatible), or is one of them an airport express set up to extend the network? I wonder if that would make a difference. Otherwise, I guess I'm just unlucky twice. Thanks for doing that.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2008, 11:19 AM

I just got my new replacement iMac today!

I went to the Apple Store about the random shut down issue.The genius just gave me a new one because it's still within the 14 day return period. I was in and out the store within 10 minutes. I hope it doesn't happen to this machine too.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:46 AM

I bought a 20" 2.4Ghz. It blows away the dual 1.25Ghz mirror door power Mac it replaced.
45/47

mimory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2008, 08:29 PM

I got my 2.8GHz 24" from Amazon last week. The screen is awesome!!! A little too bright for me - I almost wish I could dim it even beyond the allowed minimum. Works fine so far but I've yet to seriously use photoshop/illustrator on it. It hung once during shutdown and once it got stuck on the startup leopard "space" picture. Had to press and hold the power button to shut it down in both cases. Those were the only problems.
Hate mighty mouse. Right-clicking registered as "left clicking" a bunch of times while I played Generals and I lost a few of my men. Switching back to my original MS optical mouse solved the problem.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 08:16 PM

The only problem on mine is the headphone jack issue where you sometimes hear electronic bleeps and beeps when you stop playing audio (especially noticeable if you're working with sound editing in GB or similar), and where some audio is distorted as well especially at low volumes. It seems to affect all the last rev iMacs I've tried too.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 8, 2008, 01:13 AM

Just an update: Other than the screen brightness gradient, I've had the random shutdown on my iMac as well. Happened once with 10.5.2 and again after 10.5.3. Wonder what's up... I'll probably take it into Apple next week and see if there's a fix.
Dell 2408WFP

Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 11:52 AM

I had a weird issue where the fans would suddenly kick up to full speed and nothing fixed them.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 13, 2008, 02:00 AM

I really did underestimate the screen brightness issue.

Since my purchase, I've been using a Dell 2408WFP as my main monitor. I tried using the iMac's monitor today and the dock is just completely blown out or "overexposed." This guy is going back to the Apple Store tomorrow. This is just not useable!
Dell 2408WFP

yellowlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 10:16 PM

Whew, lots of info here, and I am thinking about a new 24" screen iMac with max memory installed($200 extra and well worth it).
I am going to get my shutdown power supply issue fixed before I make any more purchases.

But I do want to say here, because the question was how does the new Intel Mac work, that my husband and brother both bought new Intel Macs and they are trouble free so far.

My old Soccar Ball iMac works fine, its just the PPC iMac with the power supply-logic board problem that is a huge pain.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by yellowlab View Post
Whew, lots of info here, and I am thinking about a new 24" screen iMac with max memory installed($200 extra and well worth it).
Maxing out the RAM IS well worth it, but Apple's RAM prices aren't. Spend a LOT less, like 75% less, and buy third-party RAM from a great vendor like Crucial: This part will work great, is really well backed by Crucial, and costs less than $55. And it's incredibly easy to add or replace RAM in the aluminum iMacs. There's no reason to give Apple an extra $150 to do something you can do in 10 minutes on your kitchen table.

yellowlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 09:05 AM

If we open the case, does that void the warantee? I was told that a few years ago, but I am wondering if thats true. I used to install our own memory until the soccar ball Macs came out. I should consider this again, if its that easy to get the case open and install it now.
Thank you,
Jane

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2008, 10:57 AM

The RAM on an iMac is a user-accessible part, (listed that way in their documentation, too), so it won't do anything to your warranty. Different Macs have different user accessible parts; MacBooks' hard drives are user-accessible, while iMacs' aren't, so you can change the drive in a MacBook without touching the warranty, but you can't with an iMac.

The RAM is under a cover on the very bottom of the iMac case (directly below the Apple logo). It takes a good Phillips-head screwdriver (a size 0 or 00 I believe-it's pretty small), and a towel to place on your work surface so you don't scratch the front of the computer. It really is that easy. In fact, the sockets in the iMac are the easiest I've ever put RAM into.

yellowlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 11:02 AM

I just talked with Apple care rep and finally got a person there who said that if this repair with the new power supply works, its OK, but if it fails again, I might get a new Mac.
Lets see how things go. I am thinking of the new memory too.
Thank you,
Jane

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Any glaring issues, please sing out!
Yes THE glaring issue. The screen. But I knew what I was getting into.

It is just too reflective, no matter what anyone says. Forget about doing color critical work on it, though everything else will be fine as long as you keep it away from windows or bright lights.

It is very fast and quiet. At the price I paid, I got a good discount, I am extremely happy.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Forum Links
Forum Rules