Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PBG4: Changing the Superdrive to a newer model?

PBG4: Changing the Superdrive to a newer model?
Powerbook
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 04:24 PM

My latest PBG4 1.5 GH has the Matshita UJ-825 Superdrive, which I recently noticed can't burn DL DVDs. I thought about upgrading to a faster/newer burner (from MacBook Pros, also Matshita). Anyone already done this and can recommend a specific HW type?

Regards
Powerbook
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 07:56 PM

I'd suggest putting together a DL burner and firewire case from newegg.com (around $80 total).

You'll have a 20X burner, which will be tons faster than any laptop burner you'll ever find. Huge time savings.

Unless you're burning loads of DVDs on the road?

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I'd suggest putting together a DL burner and firewire case from newegg.com (around $80 total).

You'll have a 20X burner, which will be tons faster than any laptop burner you'll ever find. Huge time savings.

Unless you're burning loads of DVDs on the road?
Thanks, but I can get an internal Matshita drive for about the same price (80 Euros)... and I definitely don't want more computer items and cable clutter on my desk(s).

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 10:19 AM

I sympathize with keeping the desk clutter-free--but you'll be getting at most an 8X drive, and believe me, the time savings are enormous when you have a 20X external drive.

And another question: Can your prospective internal Superdrive be firmware-upgraded to region-free? Many of the internal drives cannot.

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 02:50 PM

I sympathize with keeping the desk clutter-free--but you'll be getting at most an 8X drive, and believe me, the time savings are enormous when you have a 20X external drive.
I believe you, but room saving by buying internal components has higher priority! It would be something else, if I had to pay five times the prices of an external component.

And another question: Can your prospective internal Superdrive be firmware-upgraded to region-free? Many of the internal drives cannot.
That I don't know... very good question though, since I'd get the drive from somewhere from Asia, I must ask about that embedded region code .

PB.

Add: The drives are region-set the first time you use them. So far they have no pre-set region code. I'd like to get mine region-free of course, but since I have only two or three non RC2 discs, that's not so much a priority...
( Last edited by Powerbook; May 27, 2008 at 03:37 AM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

pcummins
May 28, 2008, 12:29 AM

Best to use a Pioneer DVR-K06, I personally upgraded my UJ-825 in my PowerBook 15" (1.5 gHz) to the DVR-K05, no issues, able to burn at least 4x. The Pioneer supports raw read from the disc, so you can use VLC to ignore region locking issues.

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by pcummins View Post
Best to use a Pioneer DVR-K06, I personally upgraded my UJ-825 in my PowerBook 15" (1.5 gHz) to the DVR-K05, no issues, able to burn at least 4x. The Pioneer supports raw read from the disc, so you can use VLC to ignore region locking issues.
Thanks for the suggestion! Those drives do support DL writing I suppose - that's my whole point for upgrading...?
I had the Matshita UJ-875 in mind, do you know if these support the raw reading as well?

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 11:44 AM

you can do a forum search for "region free" and you'll find a minefield of posts, with the usual caveat emptor about bricking the drive.

best tip so far seems to be to use "fairmount" from DVDRemaster at metakine

Metakine - DVDRemaster

Forum Links
Forum Rules