Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How is your glossy screen?

How is your glossy screen?
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 09:35 PM

It's been almost two weeks since the release, so I'm wondering how the glossy screens are? Mainly I'm curious about how people who used to have matte MBP's are liking the new glossy MBP's? Are the reflections bad? Do you ever see yourself in the screen? Do you get distracted by any glare?

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2008, 10:57 PM

I've been anti-glossy for sometime, but I finally gave in (since I had no other options), and it's just fine.

I haven't used my computer outside or anything yet, but so far the glossiness hasn't been too bad. The screen really is bright enough to overpower reflections, and it does appear more vivid than the matte displays. I would opt for a matte option if one were available, but this isn't bad at all.

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
I've been anti-glossy for sometime, but I finally gave in (since I had no other options), and it's just fine.

I haven't used my computer outside or anything yet, but so far the glossiness hasn't been too bad. The screen really is bright enough to overpower reflections, and it does appear more vivid than the matte displays. I would opt for a matte option if one were available, but this isn't bad at all.
Thanks for the response, I have a few sort of specific questions, do you use it near windows, and do you have any lights behind you or to the side of the machine?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2008, 07:40 AM

I've found my new MBP's display to be find. I've not been bothered by the glossiness at all. My office arrangement is such that I face a window on the right side of my desk and my laptop is on the left side.

I've used it in other rooms of my house w/o any major problem with reflection/glare
~Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2008, 07:55 PM

I love mine; it looks great in all lighting conditions, and maintains substantial contrast even in sunlight.

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 26, 2008, 09:05 PM

So far so good just makes my old non-glossy lcd look dull and boring
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I love mine; it looks great in all lighting conditions, and maintains substantial contrast even in sunlight.
Do you have one of the new machines or are you talking about your MBA? Because the macbook air display is significantly less glossy.

Also does anyone have lighting behind or to the side of their machines? And how are the reflections?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 11:06 PM

New MBP here and the glossy screen doesn't bother me at all at work or at home in various lighting conditions. I even have a large reef tank that I work by that has about 600 watts of light pouring out of a 5ft width area. Now if the screen were asleep and black, it does make a nice and useful mirror.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 11:23 PM

See everybody? We should never, ever question what Steve Jobs and Jony Ive bestow upon us. The glossy is a gift from them, not a feature.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 01:13 AM

I would definitely say the glossy screen on my new MBP can sometimes become almost unusable, but for the most part I haven't noticed any reflections.

I would have certainly chosen the matte option if they offered it though.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Thanks for the response, I have a few sort of specific questions, do you use it near windows, and do you have any lights behind you or to the side of the machine?
I haven't used it near windows, but I do have lights to the side when I'm at home, and I've also used it in a classroom with no problems.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Do you have one of the new machines or are you talking about your MBA? Because the macbook air display is significantly less glossy.
MBA; I should read more than just the title before replying, huh.

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
See everybody? We should never, ever question what Steve Jobs and Jony Ive bestow upon us. The glossy is a gift from them, not a feature.
Steve's RDF did the job once again...

bballe336  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
MBA; I should read more than just the title before replying, huh.
Oh well, no big deal.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to go check one out at the apple store anyways and see if it seems OK.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 12:21 AM

Awww crap!

I just noticed that my keys are leaving marks on my screen just like the old PowerBooks of yore did. When the original MacBooks came out (with the now standard recessed keyboards I thought that this was a thing of the past - Imagine my lament today when I discovered that my keys were leaving crappy marks all over my glossy screen.

The OK part is that when the screen is on I can't see them but I can clearly see them when I wake from sleep in the moments before the screen "instant ons".

Anyone else with this issue?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 11:58 AM

Love it.

There is glare near windows and bright lights, but it is easily overcome by slightly tilting the screen.

I've quickly become a fan of glossy. It is studier, feels brighter, looks nicer.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules