Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac gaming....

Mac gaming....
Ruyuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2009, 01:33 PM

Hi everyone,

There is a great online game available to Windows and even Linux users, but not Mac yet! They will however buy some development Macs to create a client for Mac OS if their petition reaches their goal of 10000 signatures.

This is a truly fantastic game, imagine this added to the Mac online gaming arsenal! Just hop over to the petition site and add your name, doesn't hurt to give this game a try. You might even switch out from paying for WarCrack!

Regnum site: Regnum Online | Free to Play MMORPG (F2P)
Petition: Porting Regnum Online client to Mac - Petition Spot

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2009, 01:37 PM

People still try to play games on a Mac?

Last time I check on MacGameFiles.com, one of the top ten downloads was the Halo 1 demo. Which shows you how many great releases there have been for the Mac since then (2003?).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

Did you miss this on the scroll down to the Lounge? Oh wait, you posted in there too

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 01:45 PM

Too bad there aren't many big games written for the Mac. Ports always have an odd PC residue on the interface. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 01:48 PM

Unless the Unreal Engine 3 is ported to Mac, we're gonna miss many of the big titles: Arkham Asylum, Gears of War, Borderlands, Mass Effect, and of course UT3.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 01:53 PM

The only games worth bothering with on the Mac are Ghost Recon, Need For Speed and MacNN.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2009, 02:44 PM

With the advent of Intel Macs and boot-camp you can bet the Mac gaming scene will be even worse than usual.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
With the advent of Intel Macs and boot-camp you can bet the Mac gaming scene will be even worse than usual.
Indeed. I use my Mac for gaming more than ever now, but it's all on Windows via Boot Camp. I'd still love to see Source ported to the Mac though...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2009, 03:03 PM

Eh, now that virtualization software (like Fusion 3) supports the latest Direct X drivers soon we won't even have to boot into Windows to play games.

I also have played more PC games than ever thanks to Intel and BootCamp.

lexapro
Baninated
Dec 4, 2009, 03:25 PM

I play Civilization on my Mac. And Oregon Trail.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 03:33 PM

I've still got a long list of Mac games I might play. I'm slowly working on Prey, might do CoD:MW, certainly will do BioShock, probably an iD game, Force Unleased Sith Edition, maybe another Lego game. My only certain BootCamp purchace now is Arkham Asylum, having already bought UT3. (Ok, maybe I'll play Gears of War 1 & 2 on BootCamp, maybe.)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 03:59 PM

Why should developers bother with Mac ports if you can get their Windows version of the game running perfectly in Wine? So many games run perfectly in Wine (at least under Linux, haven't played around with the Mac so much) that one has to wonder...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 04:23 PM

Return to Dark Castle was released last year. I should be good to go on the gaming front for another decade.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why should developers bother with Mac ports if you can get their Windows version of the game running perfectly in Wine? So many games run perfectly in Wine (at least under Linux, haven't played around with the Mac so much) that one has to wonder...
Ports get made because ports make money. A publisher like MacSoft and a porting dev like Ryan C Gordon make money doing what they do because many would prefer not spending $200 on Windows just to play games. Right now, I'm running UT3 on the free Win7 demo, otherwise I wouldn't even have a BootCamp partition. Rebooting is an annoying hassle that I don't want to pay for. If I wasn't an Unreal junkie, I wouldn't even bother.

BTW, the Unreal Tournament 3 port to Mac and Linux is probably really done, but there's some kind of legal hassle preventing its release. Either Epic is screwing Gordon around, or there's a licencing problem with PhysX or some other tech. You might not care about UT3 as a game, but the Unreal Engine is powering dozens of top tier games right now. If the port is done, we could see an avalanche of PC ports, maybe.

Ryan Gordon is the guy that makes Mac gaming happen: every UT or Quake-based engine port is his handiwork, including stuff like Prey and Modern Warfare. Apple bent over backwards to get UT2003 working on the Mac, and I'd love to see them save Unreal Engine 3 before it gets sunk like Half-Life did.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Dec 4, 2009 at 04:31 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 05:58 PM

INTERVJU: Porting games to Linux - Ryan C. Gordon - Part II - Hardware.no
Linux-ports usually comes out after the Windows release heck, we're still waiting for the Linux-client of UT3. Of course, the extra development takes time, but is this the main reason for the delay?

Nope. I'm sorry, but I really can't comment on this at the moment.

I have to ask, can we expect a Linux-version of UT3 to be released or has all development ceased in that department?

It will be released.

Are you working on a exiting Linux-port now that you're allowed to talk about?

I've gotten into the habit of not talking about projects until the moment they ship... I've had more than one fall apart after announcing it.

But I will say: as UT3 is wrapping up, we've got a portable version of UnrealEngine3, so my next move will be to aggressively court Epic's licensees. Several of them have expressed interest in Mac and Linux support, and it'll will be nice to start getting them running on the latest codebase.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Dec 4, 2009 at 06:04 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Ports get made because ports make money. A publisher like MacSoft and a porting dev like Ryan C Gordon make money doing what they do because many would prefer not spending $200 on Windows just to play games. Right now, I'm running UT3 on the free Win7 demo, otherwise I wouldn't even have a BootCamp partition. Rebooting is an annoying hassle that I don't want to pay for. If I wasn't an Unreal junkie, I wouldn't even bother.

BTW, the Unreal Tournament 3 port to Mac and Linux is probably really done, but there's some kind of legal hassle preventing its release. Either Epic is screwing Gordon around, or there's a licencing problem with PhysX or some other tech. You might not care about UT3 as a game, but the Unreal Engine is powering dozens of top tier games right now. If the port is done, we could see an avalanche of PC ports, maybe.

Ryan Gordon is the guy that makes Mac gaming happen: every UT or Quake-based engine port is his handiwork, including stuff like Prey and Modern Warfare. Apple bent over backwards to get UT2003 working on the Mac, and I'd love to see them save Unreal Engine 3 before it gets sunk like Half-Life did.

What does this have to do with WINE though?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What does this have to do with WINE though?
Nothing. In the Gordon interview, he says that you essentially double your bugs when you use WINE. Myself, I don't pay $50 for a beautiful game like UT3 to see it look like crap under WINE.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Nothing. In the Gordon interview, he says that you essentially double your bugs when you use WINE. Myself, I don't pay $50 for a beautiful game like UT3 to see it look like crap under WINE.
When was the last time you used it? Many games run *flawlessly* or close enough to flawlessly, and look exactly identical.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2009, 07:33 AM

If anyone has read what happened with the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, then you'll soon understand that games developers are not going to be developing as much for PC like they'll develop for Xbox, PS3 and Wii. I say the next Call of Duty is console only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules