Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2011 Change Default Info for Document Properties?

Office 2011 Change Default Info for Document Properties?
weinhous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2011, 08:03 AM

Just installed Office 2011 Standard over Office 2004 on an Intel Mac Pro running 10.6.7. Made a bad choice inside Installation Wizard, selected something like 'use existing information.' For all my Office 2011 applications, the default "Document Properties" (found at FILES\PROPERTIES) now includes an outdated "Company Name" and not quite the "Author" name I'd prefer - OK, I want to add my middle initial

Thought there should be an easy way to change the default - but we're talking microsloth here...

Other sources on the web suggested using Apple's plist editor to change the appropriate text fields within ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist. I tried it and it didn't work - actually I changed two text fields and some changes showed up in some of the microsloth apps - go figure

(1) Is the a better way to change the default values for Office 2011 Document Properties?
(2) Might deleting all of Office 2004 help?
(3) Other suggestions? (I have to use Office for compatibility with my employer's systems)

Thanks in advance,

Marty
( Last edited by weinhous; Mar 26, 2011 at 04:19 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2011, 02:32 PM

Sorry, "WTF M$" is all I have.

I gotta check what Office put into my preferences.

-t

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 26, 2011, 05:06 PM

Preferences --> User information.

weinhous  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2011, 09:11 PM

Chris - thanks. That works for Word, sort of. It fixes the Company Name issue, but doesn't let me add a middle initial or suffix to the Author field.

Looking further, I found that Excel and PowerPoint have different Preferences setups.

Boggles my mind that microsloth has still not integrated Word, Excel and Powerpoint sufficiently for user sanity.

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 26, 2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by weinhous View Post
Chris - thanks. That works for Word, sort of. It fixes the Company Name issue, but doesn't let me add a middle initial or suffix to the Author field.
You can just put a space with your middle initial after your first name for Word.
It appears that you can delete /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist and reenter your serial number. I assume that you would then be prompted to reenter your personalization information as well as the serial.
This link might be helpful to remove Office if necessary, but I'd start with the licensing file first.

weinhous  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2011, 07:13 AM

Chris, Thanks, that also helps.

My copy of Office 2011 comes with two activations. Having already installed and activated on two computers I'm hesitant to mess with license keys as I might run afoul of microsloths activation process. Maybe I should just leave "less-bad"-enough alone.

I can't express, in a public forum, how disgusted I am with Microsoft, their crappy software engineering, their bloated crappy products, their business ethics, and their profiteering all at the expense of our time. They have no respect for the users who (have to) purchase their crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules