Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Read only files - Permissions problem?

Read only files - Permissions problem?
paul55555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2012, 12:38 AM

I am using MacBook Pro V. 10.6.8. A windows-user friend notified me that the images I sent him were read only and that he could not manipulate than, do slide show, etc. I processed them via CS-5, enhancing the images and downsizing them. I do not know if this is a Mac security issue or a Photoshop issue. Is there a way to change files from read only to Read/Write in the Mac environment, particularly in batch mode rather than one at a time.

Thank you-Paul

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2012, 12:59 AM

Are you on a network?
What do the permissions on your files say when you click on them <command+i>?
What file format? If it is a tif saved in Mac format pcs may have trouble... If an EPS they may not have something that can open it.

Otherwise I have never had difficulty swapping image files back and forth.

I never have to deal with permissions except on a web server, or on my work network where permissions get borked occasionally.

paul55555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2012, 03:20 PM

Thank you very much for the rapid reply. I am not on a network that I know of. Just a home environment. The files are Jpeg and were sent via email to a Windows user. He has Photoshop but primarily uses Google's Picasa I believe.

Sorry but I do not understand this: <command+i>? Do I have to press all of the characters at the same time?

The only place I see anything about permissions is Sharing and Permissions under Get Info. Staff and All Users are noted as Read Only permission. I select All Users and unlock the lock. Staff and All Users stay in a Read Only status. I then close Get Info. However, if I select Get Info a second time for the same file it's Permissions is locked again.

Patience please
Grateful-Paul

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2012, 06:01 PM

<Command + i> is the same as get info, so we're on the same page there... and it does sound like permissions are borked if you are changing them and they revert.

Then again, I sent an image via email to my Windows-using husband and he claims he can't open it because it's embedded.

I'm going to move this out of design since I think it's an OS thing and we might get more knowledgeable folks in here. In the meantime, I suspect something on this page about repairing permissions could help.

paul55555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2012, 07:33 PM

Most of the Repairing Permissions link you provided went way over my head. I did however, try it's How to View and Change Permissions in the Finder's Info Window: 1-Select a file or folder in the Finder. 2- From the File menu, choose Show.. "Show" did not appear under File. So, that was the end of that. I dared not try Viewing and Changing Permissions With Terminal.

One interesting discovery was that all the files that I sent him (as were all otherstex, PDf, graphic, Etc) were noted as Unlocked when right clicking a thumbnail in Photoshop Bridge. A lock option was available. Thus, maybe the problem was on his end.

My question is: are all files assigned a default lock status in a MacBook environment?

Looking forward to learning more if you find out more.

Thank You

sdcaplan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2012, 07:46 AM

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. Have exported photos on my MacBook Pro via Lightroom as JPEGS and sent via wetransfer.com to a client who says they're using Windows Picture Viewer. The client says they cannot rename the files. I checked the file permissions in the Get Info and they say read only for "staff" and for "everyone" besides me the author. When I select all to batch change the permissions it doesn't give me the option to, I can only do it one-by-one which is impractical for over 100 images. I've also never had a client tell me this was an issue before. Is there a way to fix this?

P
Oct 18, 2012, 07:14 AM

Renaming the file is actually not controlled by the permissions on the file itself but by the permissions on the folder it is in, and in any case the permissions do not transfer over a network like that (they are tied to one installation or - if you log in on a server - to one directory service). I am not familiar with the service you mention, but please make sure that your client has copied the files to his own computer before trying to rename them. It may be that they are trying to rename files still on the server.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules