Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Minimizing services and internet requests

Minimizing services and internet requests
countryman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2016, 04:01 PM

I have used Apple Mac Mini for a year and use El Capitan at this point. I am used to the Windows products and the ability to turn off services so the PC would use minimal CPU resources and reduce the polling the internet for information. Is there a way for me to use minimal background services in El Capitan and reduce the amount of internet data in and out of the Mini Mac? I would like to reduce the amount of data going thru the WiFi connection and reduce the amount of money I spend on back ground internet noise into and out of the Mac. Is there an APP or something internal to the Apple product like the Task Manager in Windows products?

ibook_steve
Mar 29, 2016, 05:20 PM

May I ask why you need to do this?

I don't use it because it just annoyed me all the time, but Little Snitch is usually the go-to app for this sort of thing to analyze what data is being transferred in and out.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

countryman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2016, 05:28 PM

I have limited internet connection where I live and I use a slow link. Periodically I want fast internet connection and I got a Go Phone WiFi Hotspot. It does exactly what I need, BUT, in the span of 1.5 hours I used almost 1GB of usage of my time and that was expensive. I only checked bank sites, messages, used the Safari for about 1 hour and then checked my usage and I got zapped for 1GB. I watched the Data stream using the activity monitor and saw the MAC sending and receiving data with background housekeeping, etc. and then I turned the WiFi off ASAP. I want to use this as an emergency type of thing since in a power outage where I live I have landline and dial up access and I can use this HotSpot as an option as well. But all the time would be very expensive. I want to manage the machine more carefully.

Forum Links
Forum Rules