Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB Airport antennae

12" PB Airport antennae
jdparkinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 04:48 PM

I was doing something stupid last night and decided to take out my Airport card. When I took the card out, the little connector on the end of the wire (the antennae) that you hook into the Airport card came off. I took it to the Soho Apple store and they said it will have to go in for repairs and would take up to a week. The guy at the store said worst case scenario: $600. But, don't you think that this is a just an extension of the antennae and can simply be soldered in to the connector? Has this happened to anybody else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dccski
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2003, 04:53 PM

you said it......... stupid. sometimes you get what you deserve. i dont think it should have happened and im sorry it did.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2003, 12:58 AM

The connector on the antenna isn't soldered on, it's crimped with a special crimper. The connection can't just be put back on, and if it's repaired, they'll disassemble and replace the antenna, most likely.

The connection is an important one- if the connection isn't made properly, you'll lose decibels of signal at that connection, meaning weaker airport signal.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 02:00 AM

Unfortunately there doesn't seem like there is much you can do now, sorry bud. For those ambitious in the future, unplug the antenna before removing the AE card.

Hope Apple can take care of you.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

jdparkinson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 05:22 PM

Apple has covered this under warranty. Thanks for all of your help. You do hear a lot of horror stories regarding Apple not covering repairs, not honoring rebates, etc.. But, my experience and the experience of all of my Apple friends have had such a great relationship with the company. Over the past 3 months, I have convinced five of my friends to switch to Apple from PC's. One of my friends walked into the Soho store and blew about $4500 on a new system with a 20 GB Ipod. He bought the 23 inch monitor about 4 days prior to Apple significantly decreasing their price on this monitor. He went back to get a cable for his machine (oblivious to the fact that there was a price decrease) and the associate who sold him his system recognized him and told him that the price was lowered and my buddy walked out of the store with a check for nearly $800! He didn't even ask for it or know to ask for it. Apple just offered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules