Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Graphic design in Europe.

Graphic design in Europe.
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 04:41 PM

Here's the deal: I'm currently at university doing something with languages but it really doesn't interest me a bit (1st year, did a wrong choice). So I'm thinking of starting over in september/october.

What I want to do is graphic design, I always wanted to do this but my parents didn't really approve of it because it's not really a university degree but whatever.

Now what I want to know is: is there any future as a graphic designer in Europe ? Or is the market sooo saturated and hard to get into (read: you have to be really really really good)? I'm just playing with the idea and would like to hear some toughts of you people, I know that there are some people that are active in the field here.

PS: anyone got the march/april Communication Arts ? I just want to say that Kiko Farka's work rocks.

thanks

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 10:35 PM

goldfinger:

yes, there's a future in europe for this biz. since you live so close to amsterdam i suggest you take some time and go there for some informational interviews. it's among the best cities in the world for advertising and design. also, check out paris, berlin, london and copenhagen.

my parents HATED the idea of me going into this business. they've repeatedly told me they were wrong after seeing how it's turned out. you can do the same with some hard work and dedication.

good luck.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
also, check out paris, berlin, london and copenhagen.
Copenhagen is a good city for graphic design?

This sounds good, I want to take some graphic design as my elective course. Would be cool if this were actually a good place to do it

art_director
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 04:18 PM

yes, there are some extremely talented people in copenhagen. i have a friend who is a creative director for one of the big agencies in town. they crank out GREAT STUFF.

i envy you living in copenhagen. a wonderful city filled with amazing people.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 07:31 AM

[quote]What I want to do is graphic design, I always wanted to do this but my parents didn't really approve of it because it's not really a university degree but whatever.[quote]

its a bit rich to say graphic design "is not really a uni degree but whatever". I have an honours degree in graphics (and object design). If you need a degree to make your parents happy, go and get one, it will "probably" make you a better designer.

And there are plenty of areas in graphics to study, both pratical and in theoritical research.

and pls note I put 'probably' in rabbit ears, I know lots of very good designers without degrees.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 07:46 AM

hey what happened to my quote codes? jeez you need a friggin degree to figure this computer sh1t out..... ;>

Forum Links
Forum Rules