Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > launchprox

launchprox
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 06:31 PM

Could anyone tell my what the a proces called "launchprox" does ? It's apparantly a root owned proces, since I had to kill it using sudo.
I discovered it when checking top. I checked top because I heard some weird repetitive disk access/churning while I was just chatting on msn and browsing some forums.
What I saw there was the "smbd" (that's Samba, right?" going of and on always killing and restarting the smbd.
It stopped doing that when I turned windows sharing off in the prefs.

Anyone has a clue as to what that launchprox thing is ? Don't tell I've been somehow hacked ? I've activated the OSX firewall as an extra layer of security now, altough I do have a hardware firewall as well. Google doens't know launchprox.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

germanmacobserv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 07:22 PM

Do you mean launchd? I never heard of launchprox and don't think its part of the OS..maybe it's coming from a third party app.

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 05:52 AM

No, no. I know what lanchd is. It certainly was launchprox. And it's the first time I've ever seen it and it hasn't come back since.. No difference in the apps I use. Kinda spooky.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

dopeavy
Jul 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

I am seeing it as well. But it is temproary. Only seems to pop up when an FTP session is initiated, then disappears within 30 seconds. So my guess is that it's part of the process of FTP/SFTP since it happens in both cases.
==========================
In all things, Moderation.
==========================

Forum Links
Forum Rules