Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Age of Empires 3 - looking great!!! [large jpeg]

Age of Empires 3 - looking great!!! [large jpeg] (Page 2)
kc311v2
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 03:29 PM

I don't even see it yet as available to buy on Macsoft's online store.
Looks like November 15 is another deadline passed.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2006, 03:53 PM

it will be out the 28th

moocow81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 12:06 PM

uhhh, no your all wrong. its out now. Macgamestore.com im getting it mon or tues by mail. iv also heard people say its in apple stores. not sure tho

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2006, 07:23 PM

Anyone got this yet? Has it even been released ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2006, 08:47 PM

when you get it share some pics, im very curious, it looks great from what little i have seen.

mindwaves
Nov 27, 2006, 04:53 PM

Age of Empires III for Mac ships
Destineer's MacSoft unit today began shipping the Mac version of Age of Empires III, its real-time strategy game that picks up where Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings left off. Players become one of eight European powers exploring, colonizing, and conquering the new world. "Featuring amazing 3D graphics, remarkable Ageia PhysX technology, and an innovative Home City feature that lets players 'level-up' their evolving home city to strengthen their economy, technology, and military, 'Age of Empires III' for Macintosh sets many new standards for real-time strategy games." Players command rifled infantry to scatter soldiers and blast buildings with cannon fire, directing cavalry through plains while navigating naval fleets to hold strategic waterways. The game is priced at $50 from Amazon.com, and requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later with a 64MB or better video card. [print | email | comment]
MacNN | Apple, Macintosh and iPod news

It is about time. I think they said mid September initially. I can't wait.

Oversoul
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 02:47 AM

I'm curious too. With all this waiting, is there any advantage to playing AoE3 in the MacOS as opposed to installing it in Windows (please no obvious Windows is sux0rs cracks).

I already have a Windows partition running under Boot Camp for my other PC games (that unfortunately will never see a Mac release). I could've installed AoE3 PC while waiting for this release.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I'm curious too. With all this waiting, is there any advantage to playing AoE3 in the MacOS as opposed to installing it in Windows (please no obvious Windows is sux0rs cracks).

I already have a Windows partition running under Boot Camp for my other PC games (that unfortunately will never see a Mac release). I could've installed AoE3 PC while waiting for this release.
I just picked up a copy at the apple store, but i was thinking the same thing.. why not buy the windows version for 10 bucks cheaper on amazon and play it in winXP?

and then i realised.. it's the same reason why i bought a macintosh and not a peecee.

gonna install it right now!

mindwaves
Nov 28, 2006, 12:07 PM

Pls tell us your gaming machine specs and how well it performs. My main machine will be a 1.9GHz G5 iMac with 1GB RAM. I want to know if my iMac is sufficient since it goes beyond the basic specs.

mindwaves
Nov 28, 2006, 01:29 PM

It's on the Apple Store online now. Why is it $54.95?! Other stores have it as $49.99.

mindwaves
Nov 28, 2006, 05:52 PM

So I just bought it for 49.95 even though the computer says 54.95 at the Apple Store in Costa Mesa, CA. Fun game and nice graphics. I'm going back for some more!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 11:02 PM

I used to play Age of Mythology without the cd in the drive by creating a .dmg file. i tried doing the same with this but it didn't work. Anyone know why or how to make it work?
p.s. i own both the above mentioned games.

mindwaves
Nov 29, 2006, 01:43 AM

Game will not load with Apple's latest security update.....grrrr...it claims it can't find the DVD!!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 05:01 AM

that happened to me a couple of times, but then it did work.. eject/reinsert the disk and try again.

mindwaves
Dec 1, 2006, 12:07 PM

Doesn't work for me still. I e-mailed support and I hope they find a soln soon so in the meantime, I have been playing with it on my MacBook. It runs pretty well with some of the graphics settings turned down and I like playing with that a bit better since I can see my units better also.

Some stupid stuff in the game:

1) Settlers will just not build stuff even though you told them to. I feel like they get trapped in the buildings of what they just built.
2) It is lame to only have 4 builders building a house or whatever. If I select 5 to build a house, 1 of them does absolutely nothing.
3) It is stupid to only have the ability to build 7 towers when I am British (I think). If I have the resources, then I should be able to build more towers.
4) I hate not having the ability to see exactly the strength of my men. In AoE 2, you can see stats of how they can shoot, how much armor they have and so on. I don't see any settings to turn that on in AoE 3.
5) Why in the world are the Ottomans there? They were not in the New World historically.
6) In a Deathmatch game, those treasure hunters should be gone. When I have 20,000 gold, I am not going to aim for 80 gold or food. So stupid.
7) How come the panel of stuff to build is not divided up into 2 partitions like AoE 2. Now, you have economics buildings combined with military buildings?!
8) Those panel graphics stink also. They need to be redone. And yes, I am learning key commands.

Good stuff:
1) Great graphics and animations
2) Good storyline and nice historical settings.
3) Nice battle scenes

More to come later.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Dec 1, 2006 at 12:19 PM. )

macnavi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 08:05 PM

As asked before by someone else, it would be great to play this game from an image file, instead of the need of having the DVD inserted. Hey, we have iPods now, we are not carrying around a box of CD's to insert when we want to play a song from the CD. Or there isn't a DVD inside when I run Final Cut Pro. Why this customer unfriendly behaviour? You can easily make a copy with Disk utility, so if it is for copy protection it's a very weak one!
PS I own the game myself too.
Playmobil animation at http://svencentral.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 09:45 PM

I love this game. Quite addictive

Runs well on my iMac G5 2.0 too. Only had to turn off anti-aliasing.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mindwaves
Dec 4, 2006, 01:07 PM

It's a fun game for sure, but I think they need to go back to the basics. The first AoE started off with bows and arrows, chariots, and the such. AoE 2 had a few stuff with gunpowder and now, AoE 3 is a bit too advanced for me. A lot of artillery and gunpowder. I like the AoE 1 and 2 time periods better.

On a different note, does anyone think that AoE Deathmatch mode on Expert level is a bit hard? Sometimes I think the other side magically creates new soldiers that appear on my side of the field without crossing the middle. Weird....

Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2006, 02:45 PM

I think this is easily one of the best games out for the mac...if that means much .

The graphics (paticularily the water) in this game are unbelievable for an RTS, and the physics are great too. Buildings explode very nicely.

aside from graphics, the game play is very good...but a bit complicated for n00bs to AoE.

I definately recommend this game!

btw..the british artillery mortar things totally PWN!!!!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 04:45 PM

I'm about 1/3 into the campaign. Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that AoE3 is very Warcraft III inspired?

mindwaves
Dec 6, 2006, 12:40 AM

Any way to get rid of that stupid travel road thing? I absolutely hate it. I want to fortify my village with walls and that road doesn't allow me to build across it or around it. I don't want to trade!!

Silencer
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2006, 11:03 PM

Has anyone tried this on a MBP yet?

I'm buying it for myself as a early xmas present just wondering if I'll be able to play at full res/grahics on my MBP with 2Gb ram?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
Has anyone tried this on a MBP yet?

I'm buying it for myself as a early xmas present just wondering if I'll be able to play at full res/grahics on my MBP with 2Gb ram?
Yes it will do nicely.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 10:18 AM

Has anyone tried this on a Macbook? I'm looking to buy the game but was wondering about performance Macbook
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Any way to get rid of that stupid travel road thing? I absolutely hate it. I want to fortify my village with walls and that road doesn't allow me to build across it or around it. I don't want to trade!!
Can't you construct gates in AOEIII?

gregjsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 02:29 PM

Anyone in the Albuquerque area know where I can find this locally? The Apple Store or CompUSA don't have it.

macnavi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by kc311v2 View Post
Can't you construct gates in AOEIII?
Yes, one can construct gates, but only after building a wall you can tranform a wall in a gate. A tradingroad doesn't allow you to build a wall.

AoE III plays even well on the cheapest Mac Mini currently available! So no need to ask anymore if it runs well on [insert any kind of Intel Mac here], because they all will handle it. I play it on a PowerBook 1.5Ghz and it's simply stunning!
Playmobil animation at http://svencentral.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules