Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac not recognising RAM

iMac not recognising RAM
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 09:35 AM

I just ordered a 1GB ram stick for my iMac C2D. I installed it (while taking out on of the 2 512MB sticks). Rebooted and now the iMac only reports 1GB in slot 1. Nothing in slot 2. He doesn't recognise the 512MB chip. What gives ? You don't HAVE to install chips that are of equal size, right ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 09:54 AM

I took out all the RAM and installed the 1GB stick in the bottom slot. Now it won't boot. The power light blinks.

Did the RAM slot suddenly fail or what ? I haven't even touched the lower slot RAM module... I just switched the top ones.

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 10:01 AM

Right, issue resolved. Apparantly you need to push the modules in really deep. And the bottom one wasn't seated properly.

I panicked there for a moment ! Sorry about that.

Moral of the story: people when you upgrade an intel iMac, be sure to push the modules in as far as possible ! Before closing the ejector clips.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 10:18 AM

I am so glad we could help!

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 06:19 AM

26 minutes to sort that out! New iMacs are great aren't they? I had flashing lights on my 1.8 rev1 20inch when I put memory in. Had to take the back off and reseat the new chip before it would go. A lot more than 26 minutes all in all. Even the new iMacs have changed a lot!

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 06:42 AM

They sure are great. It's humming along fine now with 1,5 GB of RAM.. For some reason wake from sleep seems to be faster. I'm not complaining.

Let the saving for that second 1GB stick begin ! Or even a 2GB one if the price comes down enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules