Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Complete Synching of iMac & Macbook

Complete Synching of iMac & Macbook
quiklee
Senior User
Aug 20, 2007, 12:23 AM

I have a 24" iMac and a BlackBook that I would like to sync with each other. I currently do a lot of web consulting work so I travel to client sites and work away from my home office. When I'm at home, I prefer to work on my iMac because of the bigger screen.

My question is this - is there any software I can use to sync both my iMac and Macbook via firewire with one click of a button? And because of the different hard drive sizes, be able to toggle the Movies/Music/Pictures folders so I can save space on the macbook?

I know this subject has been brought up before, but I don't think it's ever been completely answered. Thanks for all your help.
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 06:55 PM

You could write a little shell script to sync just the folders you want to sync. But what if you forget to sync before you leave the house? I'd use something internet based and automatic instead of locally wired and manual.

https://www.foldershare.com/ is one option; pick the folders you want to sync and leave the app running on both ends. Files are synced as soon as they change (assuming both machines are online).

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007, 07:07 PM

You could partition your harddrive, so your media and all the other crap you don't want on your macbook is in its own 'seperate' harddrive, or so it seems, and then have the stuff you want to sync between the two on the other partition.

But im afraid i don't know how to go about doing it, but im sure someone on the forum will.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't use Firewire, your local network speeds should be plenty fast.

Personally, I would just:

rsync -av ~ [email protected]l:

but that is just me...

plasticman
Aug 21, 2007, 04:10 PM

can rsync (or any other other terminal command) work where the other computer is not a mac (eg linux based NAS)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by plasticman View Post
can rsync (or any other other terminal command) work where the other computer is not a mac (eg linux based NAS)

Sure! rsync will install on all Unix and Linux OSes, and I believe there is a version of rsync for Windows as well. If not, you can always run it via cygwin.

plasticman
Aug 24, 2007, 02:23 PM

thanks for the reply. Do you know what rsync command I would use in terminal? My NAS is called (ehem....) "Server" and my laptop is called "myname_laptop". The IP address of my server is https://192.168.2.4/

My NAS runs FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6 (revison 199506) and was set up by a friend of mine, as you can probably tell!

Thanks a lot for your help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 05:01 PM

man rsync

plasticman
Aug 26, 2007, 05:46 PM

still can't work it out

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 06:17 PM

rsync -av /path/to/source username@remoteip:/path/to/destination