Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPhone 4 (new to me!)

New iPhone 4 (new to me!)
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 08:31 AM

Finally got one and I love it. It's jailbroken on 5.0.1 and unlocked using a Gevey sim tray (baseband 02.10.04) and runs on T-Mobile's network. Got it on Sunday and everything is working fine. It does suffer from 'Antennagate' symptoms though. I plan on getting a case today. Gave the 3Gs to my wife.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2012, 09:09 AM

Congrats, GD. Where'd you buy it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 09:24 AM

From a guy on CL. Had to drive an hour (one-way). Nothing local available. I must have contacted 50 people selling iPhones to check on the baseband. I was watching a number of qualified phones on eBay and was just waiting for a couple auctions to get close so I could bid and checked CL one more time. I really wanted an iPhone 4 with a baseband of 1.59 but those are exceedingly rare and command a premium.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 10:52 AM

So how is TM? What kind of speeds do you get, eg what speedtest.com results do you get?

And what price plan are you on? There've been posts about $50/month unlimited minutes/data/text but I've never been able to find any plan that low on TM.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 11:18 AM

TM is great for the price. I don't have coverage in some areas I travel but I'm in the rural Northwest so that's to be expected.

Speeds are very, very slow. Only have Edge internet (2G?). It's good enough for email and light surfing (like Craigslist). It will load pretty much any page but is just slow.

I'm on a monthly 4G plan, it's $30 for 100 minutes talk time, unlimited texting, and unlimited web. I don't talk much and havn't gone over the 100 minutes yet but I am also conscientious about when and how long I'm talking. I may bump up to the $50 plan to get unlimited talk.

For me, the bottom line is I'm not locked into a long term contract at $70-$100 month but still get most of the iPhone benefits.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks for replying about the TM plans! Do the unused minutes rollover?

Sounds like a great way to get some smartphone benefits while not breaking the bank!

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 11:54 AM

The unused minutes do not rollover.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
The unused minutes do not rollover.
Well, the plan is still so reasonable! The infuriating part of all ATT or VZ contracts is that the plan is based on paying off a subsidized iPhone over 2 years. At the end of 2 years, when you've paid off the subsidized phone, you still pay the same exorbitant price!

If you have an unlocked, no contract necessary phone, you don't get a cheaper contract...

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 12:23 PM

Exactly my thoughts!

I've also considered moving to H2O wireless. $60/month for unlimited everything, prepaid, runs off AT&T network. Wouldn't have to jailbreak/unlock, just pop in their SIM and go. I just can't justify the extra $30/month.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Mar 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
At the end of 2 years, when you've paid off the subsidized phone, you still pay the same exorbitant price!
The way phone tech has been going, at the end of 2 years, when you've paid off the subsidized phone, you get a new subsidized iPhone! And the market for 2-year-old iPhones is strong.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Well, the plan is still so reasonable! The infuriating part of all ATT or VZ contracts is that the plan is based on paying off a subsidized iPhone over 2 years. At the end of 2 years, when you've paid off the subsidized phone, you still pay the same exorbitant price!

If you have an unlocked, no contract necessary phone, you don't get a cheaper contract...
It wasn't always this way. When I bought my original iPhone for $600 (because it wasn't subsidized) the data plan was only $20/month (and that was for unlimited data AND 200 texts). I agree 100% that the contract prices should reflect whether or not you are buying an unsubsidized phone. I would pay more up front for the phone for a cheaper monthly price because I'm happy using my phone for more than 2 years.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 07:39 PM

The cool thing was T-Mobile was happy to help. I walked into one of their stores and asked them for a micro sim on for my account and they gave me one at no charge.

I'm love my iPhone 4!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2012, 08:17 PM

Congratulations on the unlocked iPhone and the TMo plan
Right now you are locked on EDGE, but TMobile just got the license of some AT&T spectrum and the only sane way to use it is offering HDPA or HSPA+ in the iPhone-compatible radio band.
I wish...
TMo 4G is strong. Last year, they flooded the TV ad space with claims that you could videoconference on it, unlimitedly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules