Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano DOA and I have no idea what happened

iPod nano DOA and I have no idea what happened
voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 03:39 PM

So my first iPod nano has a faulty button and I put it in for repairs. It was under warranty and after some time I get a new iPod nano. At least it looked that way, all in plastics and no scratches and a different serial number from my old nano.

Fine, I take it home and plug it in the PowerBook and it starts. iTunes mentions a firmware update for the pod and I install it. The I leave it hooked up for about half an hour.

I come back to the Mac and name the pod and it mounts ok. I copy a record over to the pod but at the end of the copy procedure suddenly there comes a dialogue saying the device was disconnected in an improper manner.

I hadn't touched the pod, it just lay there at the side of the Mac. So I disconnect it and reconnect it. Again it connects and mounts but as soon as it mounts the same dialogue occurs.

So I try a different cable, but it results in exactly the same. Now I disconnect the pod (it isn't mounted) and connect it again, but as it starts it freezes. I restart it and it works and then I connect it to the Mac again and the same happens again and the pod freezes.

Now I disconnect and restart it, but it won't start. And it still doesn't start. Plugged in the machine or not. It is, for the lack of a better term *dead*.

And I don't know why. I can't imagine what happened. The cables I used are used for another nano without problems. There is nothing wrong with them. The pod was new AFAIK. And it is dead...

Anyone know what happened? I guess I'll have to go take it back to the shop tomorrow, but this is seriously disappointing. My experience with the iPod nano so far is that it is a shoddy device. I have to say that I do not recommend it at all.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2006, 03:43 PM

So I went back with the pod today and they hooked it up to an iMac at the shop and lo and behold it starts! Imagine my surprise. It was stone dead when I had tested it at home only moments before.

They reset it to factory settings and load it some time and then give it back to me. I take it back home and as much to my surprise it didn't work! Worked when plugged into the iMac, but not when plugged into my iBook.

So I go again and this time I take my iBook with me, the USB cable and another iPod nano that one of my family members has. That iPod has no problems working and loading from my iBook as it should.

I make this demonstration at the shop and they think it over. The guy plugs it into his machine and proclaims the problem iPod works fine in his machine and so I whip up my iBook and show him otherwise. He counters with my cable possibly being faulty, I counter with taking my cable and show him that it works just the same. He counters with that my machine must be faulty and I counter with taking up another exactly the same iPod nano and plug it in and it works.

After a lot of strenuous thinking and internal debating he just gave me a new nano.

That one works as it should.

V

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2006, 04:28 PM

Glad you got a new nano and it is working fine. Sometimes something similar happens to me with an iPod Video, I need to reformat it to get it working again, I have no Apple dealer near my home (NW of Spain) so I have to deal with it… I guess I am going to buy AppleCare for it, AppleCare saved me from a faulty logic board with a 17" PB.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Glad you got a new nano and it is working fine. Sometimes something similar happens to me with an iPod Video, I need to reformat it to get it working again, I have no Apple dealer near my home (NW of Spain) so I have to deal with it… I guess I am going to buy AppleCare for it, AppleCare saved me from a faulty logic board with a 17" PB.
I'd definitely go for AppleCare too, it is worth it. I hope you get your iPod fixed!

V

Forum Links
Forum Rules