Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got my new 12" PB....kinda

Just got my new 12" PB....kinda
LadyBlue
Dec 15, 2003, 03:56 AM

My birthday is in less than a week. I've had my present sitting infront of me for the past few days....tempting me to open it. Alas I can't. (Rents want to wrap it up and all that nonsense)

I am proud to say this is my first mac
Windows has been pissing me off for some time and I needed something powerful yet light to carry to classes w/ me. So yay!

I'm not afraid of the switch, but sadly I'm used to some things on a pc. One of them being a good media player. Can anyone suggest one? (BTW, I prefer to have easy access to switching songs)

Thank you.
And I'll post pics once I finally get to open it.
I <3 Macs!

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by LadyBlue:
My birthday is in less than a week. I've had my present sitting infront of me for the past few days....tempting me to open it. Alas I can't. (Rents want to wrap it up and all that nonsense)

I am proud to say this is my first mac
Windows has been pissing me off for some time and I needed something powerful yet light to carry to classes w/ me. So yay!

I'm not afraid of the switch, but sadly I'm used to some things on a pc. One of them being a good media player. Can anyone suggest one? (BTW, I prefer to have easy access to switching songs)

Thank you.
And I'll post pics once I finally get to open it.
In terms of music alone iTunes (which ships with the OSX operating system is the absolute best player for mp3 and aac files and music management. You won't be disappointed. Nothing burns CD's easier than iTunes.
In terms of straight media playback Quicktime Player 6.4 also comes built into the OSX operating system so you can play movie trailors and motion video. Everything else you may be familiar with is downloadable to use from their web sight such as RealOne Player and Windows Media Player for Macintosh. WMP kinda sucks because it won't work with every sight as the Windows version does. Microsoft jerked us with this player but for music you will love iTunes. The built in music store is cool for sampling music and watching music videos and $.099 per song downloads.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

LadyBlue  (op)
Dec 15, 2003, 04:25 AM

Thank you very much. I didn't know iTunes was included ^^
I <3 Macs!

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 06:53 AM

LadyBlue --

There are many in these forums who have been around Apple for a long time -- and also many who are recent switchers like yourself.

Congratulations on making the switch. Don't hesitate to ask questions on these forums.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 11:51 AM

LadyBlue: Congrats on switching and welcome to MacNN. I've been to Austin many times, beautiful and fun city.

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 12:05 PM

Congrats indeed - I've been with Mac since about August, after being a Windows guy for about the past 15 years or so. I had an iBook, but just recently bought the 12" powerbook - and I LOVE IT. =)

Welcome - the folks around here are friendly and can help with just about any problem you may encounter.

J
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:24 PM

Welcome aboard! I've been a Mac user since 1999 and just purchased my second Mac today, a 12-in PBG4 too. Have fun with it, Im sure you wont be disappointed.
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 04:14 PM

Mediaplayer.........hmm... if you also intend to watch "Moviezzz" on your PB, then VideoLanClient (VLC) comes in mind. It�s free since it�s OPENSOURCE.
And congrat�s on your switch, you won�t regret it!

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 06:56 PM

You made a mistake by switching. It can easily become an expensive addiction

You will likely love your PB12. Congrats, and welcome.
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules