Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > very slow shutdown

very slow shutdown
LadyBlue
Mar 25, 2004, 04:03 PM

recently my pb 12" is becoming slow on shutdowns. Like over a minute.

Anybody know how to fix this?
I <3 Macs!

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 04:51 PM

It could be that one of your running applications is delaying the shutdown process as OS X politely waits for it to finish. Before shutting down, bring up the Force Quit menu (Command+Option+Escape or Apple Menu -> Force Quit) to see a list of programs that are running at the time. If you've already quit all of your programs and there's still something on this list besides the Finder, you might want to check that program's settings.

Often times the culprit will not be in the Force Quit list because it's not a full fledged application, but just a daemon, or a process that's running on the system. Do you have a .Mac account? Often times I've had slow shutdown times that were as a result of the iDisk "MirrorAgent" process running in the background. To easily see a list of all running system processes, bring up Terminal and type in "top" and hit enter. The names listed in the "COMMAND" column are the process names. You might have MirrorAgent listed here or another process that's slowing down your shutdown process. Hit "q" to quit the top program.

Of course you used the word "recently" in your post, leading me to believe this is something that did not used to happen. Has anything changed recently? Have you installed anything new, updated anything, changed any settings, etc?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 09:36 PM

I agree that a spare process not giving up could be slowing things down. I'd run a virus check just to make sure.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 01:24 AM

if you found a mac virus, let me know. i could put it in the history museum! run a permissions check, then check your activity monitor if problems persist. look for things that shouldn't be there
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

LadyBlue  (op)
Apr 6, 2004, 09:59 PM

I did a scan and there is no virus (thank goodness). I also looked at the force quit menu and finder is the only thing thats running (no I do not have .Mac account).

The shutdown is slow at the final step...where the screen turns blue and the little notched dial is turning. That part takes awhile.

I've had the computer since late december and the slow shutdown started around early march. and I am quite confused about this all.
I <3 Macs!

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2004, 01:16 AM

2 things I would suggest you to do first off. 1 - repair disk permissions using disk utility. 2 - download MacJanitor or something similar to run all your daily/weekly/monthly unix maintenance scripts (Most notebooks get put to sleep when not in use and never get to run these automated scripts coz OS X schedules them to run in the middle of the night).

See if that helps, regular maintenance goes a long way towards keeping your book chugging along.

LadyBlue  (op)
Apr 7, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by KidKit:
2 things I would suggest you to do first off. 1 - repair disk permissions using disk utility. 2 - download MacJanitor or something similar to run all your daily/weekly/monthly unix maintenance scripts (Most notebooks get put to sleep when not in use and never get to run these automated scripts coz OS X schedules them to run in the middle of the night).

See if that helps, regular maintenance goes a long way towards keeping your book chugging along.
hmm I tried both and its still a slow shutdown.
I <3 Macs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules