Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm tired of the white iBook's design�

I'm tired of the white iBook's design�
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 10:05 AM

I currently have a 900 MHz G3 iBook. It serves me well but sometimes it could be a bit snappier. So I want a new one. A Powerbook is not an option (money releated). But it's my 3rd white iBook (500 MHz, 600 MHz and 900 MHz) and I don't want the 4th in that row. It's still a nice machine, looking better than any WinLaptop I know, but I just don't want it anymore. So even if the next iBook revision would be technically suitable (since a 1.2 GHz G4 for the 12" can be expected) for me, I would not buy it if it hasn't got a complete redesign. But I guess that this is unlikely, since there has to be more of a change than a 0.2 GHz speed increase in processing power for Apple to justify a case change� Dammit!

So, who's in the same boat?

hcorf
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 11:50 AM

amen my friend.

why wont they bring colours back?

you would have thought these design guys at apple would notice that when they do colours (original iMac, iPod Mini) they cant get them into shops fast enough, white was a cool apple thing but now its time for a fresh look i think.
PB 15" 1.5ghz : 1gig : Combo

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2004, 12:01 PM

I like the White. Anyway, you should contact colorware.com

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 08:16 PM

That's a good point about colors selling well. How about a translucent iBook case?

dirtbikephil
Sep 12, 2004, 09:26 PM

I like the white look of the iBook a lot. However, it does seem like they sell a lot better when they offer color choices.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 09:46 PM

I like the white myself... just got my first Mac- a 12" iBook G4 1Ghz.

I am sure colours would sell as well, but the white is still sharp to me.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 10:49 PM

I like the white but I think it is time for a change. I won't upgrade again until then. I had a Blueberry iBook then an iBook 700 and now a 900. I can't see myself getting another one with the current design. I will go for a PowerBook first.

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I like the white but I think it is time for a change. I won't upgrade again until then. I had a Blueberry iBook then an iBook 700 and now a 900. I can't see myself getting another one with the current design. I will go for a PowerBook first.
I own the ibook500 which isn't as cool looking as the clamshell colors IMHO, but at least it's a much cooler than the ugly white or gray they are now. It's a nice SILVER!

They for sure need to make them with colors. the design is top notch still, but if they put the same colors that they have on the iPod Mini they would sell like crazy.

A nice yellow ibook or blue or green woudl be kick ass!

Bring back the colors. Damn right!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 01:12 AM

I know this seems boring, but I've always wanted a black iBook. I always like the look of the old Pismo G3 Powerbooks, and don't think white is a great colour for an ultra portable laptop. I take my 12" G4 iBook EVERYWHERE I go, it has been used outside, bumped around in bags on international flights, got a little wet, got my greasy fingers on it after fixing my car, etc. With black all this blends in a little better. I'd get a Powerbook but I'd always be scared it would get dirty. I guess there is something durable feeling about the iBook. I guess I don't mind the scratches on it too much as it makes it stand out from all the other iBooks on campus!

Oh, and I've noticed a few people have iBook G3 800's which have the newer grey/white coloured bits instead of the silver the other G3's had, despite still having the transparent keyboard. I didn't realise they did this, as my best friend's G3 800 12" has silver and transparent white.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 08:05 AM

I enjoy the white, myself, but variety would be good... Especially if Apple could come up with a way to take a standard iBook and change its color, so they don't end up with the situation like the iPod minis, where one color sells out or something. Do something like the iSkins or whatever, y'know? Although Apple would probably be ridiculed for being "cheap"... but if they make the whole line colors (or even part of it), it doesn't seem quite so fitting in a business environment (I believe this is the reason Apple cited for when they changed from Blue & White towers to Graphite.)

I say offer a white and a black, and then BTO could include "Scratch Resistant Case Cover - Hot Pink" and other options.

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

You used to be able to scrape the white paint out of the case and re-spray it or leave it see through if your into that kinda thing. Can you still do that with the G4 ibooks?

mrrisotto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 05:17 PM

Has anyone tried swapping the keys from a Titanium PowerBook onto the G4 iBook? I know the dual USB keyboards were identical to the TiBook's except for the color... that'd definitely change the whole look of it.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Kissargi:
You used to be able to scrape the white paint out of the case and re-spray it or leave it see through if your into that kinda thing. Can you still do that with the G4 ibooks?
IIRC, old iBooks were white inside of clear polycarb. You could bust 'em open, clean the white off with solvent, and have a clearish iBook. New iBooks are solid white polycarb, so no dice.

And me, I'd take a blue dalmation iBook!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by mrrisotto:
Has anyone tried swapping the keys from a Titanium PowerBook onto the G4 iBook? I know the dual USB keyboards were identical to the TiBook's except for the color... that'd definitely change the whole look of it.
i've seen it done, gives kind of a zebra or checkered effect, depending on your pattern.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 06:34 AM

Yes, the iBook's design is beginning to look kind of tired and old. I'd like to see Apple innovate, but I can't see them changing very much. Apple seems content in doing little changes here and there and that has served them well for a long time now for this particular product.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:52 AM

It'd be nice if they had colors again, but I think Apple is keeping the white and making subtle changes to the exterior when releasing technical jumps in the iBook line (ie. G3 case is different than the new G4). Seeing how they changed the appearance when the G4 iBook was introduced, I doubt there'll be any other changes later on. I even think just coloring the Apple logo will be popular, but thats just me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 07:00 PM

After seeing what they did with the new iMac's, I'm afraid for another iBook redesign.

I'm contemplating purchasing a white iBook (before something ugly comes out)...my last Mac was my Bondi so I'm ready for my next one. I'm just waiting for the speed boost and then I'll order. I think the white is sharp. Colors are nice but to me that's like a step backwards. I honestly don't know what they could do to improve the current design or to innovate further.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

Zero2aHero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:

They for sure need to make them with colors. the design is top notch still, but if they put the same colors that they have on the iPod Mini they would sell like crazy.

A nice yellow ibook or blue or green woudl be kick ass!
I actually like the white look of the ibook, but you're right. This would be a great idea if they came in green and what not.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
That's a good point about colors selling well. How about a translucent iBook case?

clicky.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:

clicky.

Cool. Are those real, or Photoshopped?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 02:18 AM

I think they are real but it is amazing.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
IIRC, old iBooks were white inside of clear polycarb. You could bust 'em open, clean the white off with solvent, and have a clearish iBook. New iBooks are solid white polycarb, so no dice.

And me, I'd take a blue dalmation iBook!
Here's where I insert the obligatory link to my Tronbook

And here are a couple of teaser pictures:

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 02:51 PM

Are new iBooks expected anytime soon?

Nacente
Sep 16, 2004, 03:30 PM

Me too, I want colors!!!
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 03:42 PM

I want something compelling that'll make me upgrade from my TiBook! So far the iBook 12" has portability, slightly faster video and processor (but not too much faster), a faster Combo drive, and more HD space (but not standard...I'd BTO it to 60GB). I'm looking for a technical reason to upgrade like Core Video capability or something I can, well, justify. My TiBook is fantastic but I'd like a carry-to-work machine...

That last paragraph sounds like I want the current 12" PowerBook.

Voch

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 03:06 AM

white is sexy and clean.. i'd like the ability to color the apple .. both in the ibook and in my powerbook ... it would look even better on the ibook though..

slick glossy white .. with a soft blue, green, yellow, orange, red, purble, grey ... apple logo ... changeable on a whim... that would be sweeet

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 04:40 PM

I just got an old 600MHz iBook with the clear case. I plan on cleaning off the white on the top case and putting some sort of pattern in there. But it'll have to be something I like looking at. Not sure if I wanna do a color or a picture. And if I want to place a piece of paper in it with the picture on it, or paint it inside myself. I'm not the artistic type I used to be. But I'd love to have some sort of eye-catching painting in there.

But if I had to choose a color, I'd try for black. Though it's overused, so some other really nice color that goes with the silverish inside plastic. (Palmrest and frame and CD door.)

Anyone know what sizes of tools I 'll need to get inside? The least I'll need is to get the top cover off.

the_snitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 02:37 AM

as apple changed the keyboard between the g3 and g4 ibooks, are they the same size actual keys used? ie can you snap keys off the g3 and swap with the g4?
Why im asking is i want to get a black colorware ibook, but to complete the look i want to swap the white keyboard on my g4 to at least a clear g3 one, or even better a tiBook clear black one, as they were compatible with the g3ibooks.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Here's where I insert the obligatory link to my Tronbook

And here are a couple of teaser pictures:
SWEEET. I've known about this mod for ages but didn't see that *awesome* shade of blue before.. NICE.

Now I'll need to dig myself up a few cans of that and do my g4 up in something pretty :]

It's either that or white panels with chrome logos.. HRMMM
Aloha

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by the_snitch:
as apple changed the keyboard between the g3 and g4 ibooks, are they the same size actual keys used? ie can you snap keys off the g3 and swap with the g4?
Why im asking is i want to get a black colorware ibook, but to complete the look i want to swap the white keyboard on my g4 to at least a clear g3 one, or even better a tiBook clear black one, as they were compatible with the g3ibooks.
I'm pretty sure you can't swap keys between the new and old ibooks, although I haven't tried it. The keyboards are very different.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 10:46 AM

Just adding colors would not satisfy me. And I don't think that most people here that are talking about adding colors don't mean that Apple schould only add colors.

What I want is a redesign that is more than the Titanium -> Aluminum change.

One might ask: What could Apple do better? Don't ask me. I pay for their products, so they do the work.

skalie
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:41 AM

White = less heat in sun = good.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Just adding colors would not satisfy me. And I don't think that most people here that are talking about adding colors don't mean that Apple schould only add colors.

What I want is a redesign that is more than the Titanium -> Aluminum change.

One might ask: What could Apple do better? Don't ask me. I pay for their products, so they do the work.
And I wasn't disagreeing with you -- the iBook design has essentially been unchanged since 2001. In that time period, the powerbook changed once, imacs twice, powermac 3 times, ipod AND emac were added to the lineup, and the ipod was redesigned 3 times.

I'd say it's in SERIOUS need of a redesign. Ditto that for the PBs
Aloha

webb3201
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 10:59 AM

Yep, the design is essentially the same after over three years. They have made great strides in performance and given us many updates where it counts. I know they need to keep costs down on these boxes (hence the lack of colors, new designs), so it may not be redesigned until it stops selling. I would love a machine is something other than white myself. I may actually try to remove the pain from my 500.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
I may actually try to remove the pain from my 500.
IT HURTS?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 03:39 PM

IT HURTS?
the dude meant paint.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
IT HURTS?

the dude meant paint.
DUH..

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 06:30 PM

I'd love a lime green iBook (crappy photoshop job below).

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 11:20 PM

I'd love one with color-shifting plastic or paint.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 07:33 PM

or black? (newer crappy photoshop job)

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:

A black iBook would actually look pretty cool. I'd love to see Apple do this with their consumer line. Anything, but white...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:

I like it! Actually, I love it! I love it so much I think I might have to hack mine to look like it. Would have to find the right shades of dark grey.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 09:29 PM

Regarding all this color change talk, has anyone tried "macskinz"? There website is not currently selling - (says they will be re-offering soon.) but I have seen before and thought they were cool.

Anyone actually bought one?

P.S.- just picked up a new (OK- refurb) ibook 12" G4- due to arrive Thursday and would love to "spark it up" a bit.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2004, 03:09 AM

I hate to admit it, but I'd rather not have the iBook change. I think it's an almost perfect design.

Maybe Apple could consider making the DIMM and AP card accessible from the bottom in order to make a non-user-removable keyboard like the 12" PB. The PB's keyboard IMHO feels much better and flexes much less than the iBooks.

And of course, if possible it would be nice to make it entirely fan-less.

Since the design is already this old I guess Apple will eventually have to change this or that. I just hope they don't sacrifice the fine case they have now just to have a 'new' iBook. But I'm rather confident with Ives.
•

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 04:06 AM

I don't see how the iBook can get any different aside from colors. It's already so small. (Only slightly larger than the 12" PB.) And it's the perfect design. I see no way to change it. The original iBook was a gimmick to match the iMacs. When they moved to a more serious look with the more conventional laptop look, it was perfect. Basically, all they've changed so far from the original is the color and making it slot-loader. I see no where else to go with it. Aside from a higher resolution on the 14" model, there's nothing else to do.

Namorado
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 06:36 AM

[...] it's my 3rd white iBook (500 MHz, 600 MHz and 900 MHz) and I don't want the 4th in that row. [a complete redesign is unlikely] since there has to be more of a change than a 0.2 GHz speed increase in processing power for Apple to justify a case change� Dammit!

So, who's in the same boat?
[Reply from a Houston Area Apple Users Group member:]
I'm amazed that this whole thread exists,
and nobody's yet made mention of the fact Apple purchased
a small company that is developing L.E.D. technology,
and recently patented the same for translucent casings.
Possibilities include COMPUTER CASINGS THAT CHANGE COLOR
before your eyes, like a grouper, octopus or chameleon can
change colors to imitate (or contrast with) its surround-
ings. With imagination, and lots of small diodes
under the clear-plastic casing skin, we could see computers
(desktop or laptop) that have WAVES OF COLOR pulsing
across their surface, or patterns organized to spell out
moving words, or display low-resolution images... whatever.
SINCE IT'S PATENTED, NO OTHER COMPUTER COMPANY WILL COME CLOSE
TO THIS MARKETING GIMMICK — I predict it will sell like hotcakes
and vault Apple into the household-word public conciousness
and market share we've always dreamed of!

View to read many interest-topics at
___C a s a___d o___N a m o r a d o___
( Last edited by Namorado; Sep 23, 2004 at 02:25 PM. )

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 09:39 AM

True! I read this a while ago, but somwhow it didn't come to my mind. It's absolutely obvious that we will se products featuring this in the future. There are great possibilities for the iPod, too. And I can imagine that Apple brings this invention to the iBook line first, since I can't see the powerbooks going plastic� On the other hand, it's clear that such a cool feature can't be consumer exclusive�

The biggest task won't be the technological part but the part of integrating it smoothly without cluttering the design and confusing the users. I'm sure Apple will do the job greatly and anyone in the industry, even those who are traditionally against Apple, will cheer about the innovation Apple has made. This was seen with the iPod, Airport, FireWire�

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 09:43 AM

I don't think having different colors of Apple manufactured iBooks is a good idea. This creates huge problems in how stores are stocked, what colors are popular, etc. Having one color just makes it easier to ship, stock, order, etc.

This is what hurt the old generation iMac with the Best Buys, CompUSA's, etc. They didn't want to have to take stock of a color that wasn't selling well. They couldn't get enough of the colors that were hot.

Anything that allows Apple to build them faster get more on the street is what I would rather see. One color does this much easier.

Bring on the third party and individual mods. This is working well with the iPod. Maybe this cross over thing going on with iPods and iBooks and students will gain some steam for third party iBook skins.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 11:36 AM

Although I did change the colors earlier in this thread, I really like the overall look of the iBook now and would rather Apple make slight changes in making it the ultimate consumer portable.

Any other requests for colors, I'm bored off my ass sometimes.
( Last edited by iREZ; Sep 22, 2004 at 06:26 PM. )

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 07:04 AM

One advantage to keeping them all the same is that there seems to be a lot more of them.

You end up with a perception that more people own them. "Man I see those white laptops everywhere" That proby helps sales - most people have a herd instinct and only buy something if they think lots of other people are buying them too.

I want a glaring prismatic iridescent rainbow shell that puts people into a hypnotic trance from 80 yards. The spinning iBook of death!

Forum Links
Forum Rules