Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > blank cd won't show up on desktop

blank cd won't show up on desktop
LadyBlue
Sep 15, 2004, 08:03 PM

Ok so I already searched the other posts (like a good little confused girl) and so far whatever i found isn't helping me.

When I insert a blank cd, it doesn't show up on the desktop. I already have show CDs and stuff in the preferences. Disk utility can see it, but when I look at the information it says Locked : Yes
Writable : No

I can still burn songs onto it via iTunes, but thats about it.

Help please.
I <3 Macs!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 08:06 PM

Check your CDs and DVDs System Preferences pane so that it is set to either Ask What to Do or Open Finder. It sounds like you have it set to Open iTunes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

LadyBlue  (op)
Sep 16, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Check your CDs and DVDs System Preferences pane so that it is set to either Ask What to Do or Open Finder. It sounds like you have it set to Open iTunes.
No nothing gets opened when I insert it. I was able to fix it though. Made it open finder when inserted. Now it shows up.
I <3 Macs!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 03:21 AM

How did you fix it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bma_mat99
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 11:52 AM

i had the same problem, and i found a stupid way to get rid of it. this is the trick: go to preferences, then cd and dvd preferences, and it will probably say "when you insert a blank cd or dvd- and it sais "ask what to do". well, the trick is to put "ignore" and then close preferences, and now go back to preferences, and change it back to "ask what to do". and thats it. seems to me that its a small operating system glitch that does not recognise the "ask what to do" option, just reset it the way i told you, and everything wil be fine.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 12:31 PM

I presume you have gone into the Finder>preferences>general and checked the cds/dvds and ipod box under items to be shown on the dektop.

Otherwise try that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules