Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > ibook superdrive

ibook superdrive
the_snitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 04:51 AM

ok, so all i want is the ability to burn DVDs from my ibook. im not interested in upgrading to a powerbook (loss in battery life, airport reception etc.)

I noticed someone on eBay (str8artist) selling ibooks preinstalled with Dvd burners - they are better than the standard apple superdrives as they burn to dvd+R and -R and -RAM.
So i asked him if he could sell me one. Heres what he said:

Unfortunately, I cannot help you because I program the drives and software to work directly with each other. That means that I would have to upgrade your iBook personally to get it to function properly to my specs. And since I prefer not to upgrade a system with an unknown history, I am really trying to avoid it altogether for liability reasons. If you really want to upgrade, I really think that you should find another alternative. MCE carries the drive you may want.

Go to:

http://www.mcetech.com/sdpbg4.html

Hope this has been of some help! - str8artist
So does anyone know of the correct "Software mod" that is required to activate these drives? I would really love one of these in my ibook

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 08:43 PM

I haven't tried installing a DVDRW drive in my iBook, however I have installed an LG DVDRW drive in my B/W G3 tower. It worked fine.

Considering it says "Fully compatible with Apple's iDVD and other iApps," on the MCE website, I would wonder if you really need to "program the drives and software to work directly with each other".

Have you asked MCE about compatibility with iBooks?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 05:57 PM

Patchburn II perhaps?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2004, 08:50 AM

You need the drive make and model number, chances are it was shipped with later Mac notebooks. If it was, it should work with standard software, as long as your OS is new enough.

It may be that this guy is buying PC drives, in which case he would likely need to flash with Mac firmware in order to make them Mac bootable.
Some drives also need to be opened up and changed from slave to master (can be a switch, or may require soldering).

If its 4x, its not a Matshita UJ-815. Might be 816 (not sure the spec on these, but the 815B can handle 2x, so...). If it is an 816, you can flash it yourself:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download2.html

This flash is intended for region free use, but it should install the RF Mac firmware over the PC firmware.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 09:30 PM

just installed this drive in my 12" iBook G4:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...133-004&depa=0

works great after installing patchburn

iDVD and iTunes support

only tough part was getting it in there!

pouyamad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2004, 07:28 PM

Hi everybody !!

First things first for my first post : THANK YOU all for helping the wonderful Mac community.
Then, excuse my english, I'm french. ;-)

End finally, my questions !! LOL

NYK Ace, could you give us more details about your panasonic UJ-825-B upgrade ?
� CD & DVD burning speeds as claimed ?
� bootable ??
� no slave/master issues with hard drive ?

Actually, I'm thinking about upgarding my iMac G3 DVSE 500 with one of those superdrives.

Thanks for your help !! ;-)
iMac DVSE G3 500MHz 512Mo 30Go [+] iSub
[+] CDRW Zip650 (usb)

NYK Ace
Senior User
Nov 29, 2004, 07:20 PM

it is bootable

works with iTunes and iDVD
ive never burned any data dvd's so i dont know but i assume it works fine

no slave master problems the only tough part was getting in there to install it (so many screws!)

but its just like a 4X Superdrive

i got that, a gig o' ram, and the 60GB 7200RPM HD

nice little 12" iBook!

Forum Links
Forum Rules