Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would Microsoft create a Mac OS X virus?

Would Microsoft create a Mac OS X virus?
funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

With the news of Apple possibly releasing a Mac that aims specifically for the Windows market (those who want a second, additional computer and would like to try a Mac), do you think Microsoft feels very threatened by this prospect? And if it does, do you think it would resort to very dangerous tactics to hamper Mac OS X's adoption?

Many Windows users complain about spyware and viruses as one of Windows's biggest problems; Mac OS X looks interesting to them because it has none. But what if Microsoft (or another company or individual) created viruses/spyware to give Mac OS X a bad name?

I heard Microsoft will be releasing anti-spyware programs (and maybe virus protection) in the coming months, with a look to possible charging a monthly fee for those who wish to continue using it after a certain time period. If Mac OS X has no spyware or viruses, this would hamper MS's strategy in this field.

Would Microsoft, or another company/individual, create Mac virii/spywares?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:20 PM

If they did it, it would someehow trace back to them eventually and they would be ****ed.

But please, MS, please do it. I want to see you die

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
If they did it, it would someehow trace back to them eventually and they would be ****ed.
Interesting point, but this made me think: would they be in trouble?

Who would be in trouble? And would all those Windows users out there really be that disgusted? Many I know would say something like, "oooh, they hurt the Mac, way to go Microsoft."

I don't know how much of a public outcry would really happen.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:26 PM

They already have.
I don't think they would, but if they did I'm sure nothing would change. They'd get caught, owe Apple a little bit of money and would cover the whole thing up.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:27 PM

For the life of me, I cannot understand why microsoft has not attacked our operating system, because it is so easy to do.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 07:34 PM

What do you think the official MSN client and Windows Media Player are?

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
What do you think the official MSN client and Windows Media Player are?
Don't get me started on WiMP

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 07:35 PM

the FBI tracks these things

they opened a department devoted to this a few years back i think

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:39 PM

inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:50 PM

No. If they would they already would have.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 07:55 PM

It's "viruses," and no.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 07:56 PM

No. If they would they already would have.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2005, 08:00 PM

It's cheaper for Microsoft to break the law and pay the fines to ensure market dominance than it is to actually obey the law.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2005, 09:41 PM

Having been in this game (tech support) for a while, I remember all sorts of fun things MS has done:

Every patch for windows, even security patches, breaking Lotus Notes when MS was pushing Exchange Server.

When Win95 shipped, NEC made one of the best featured and most stable Win3.11 home multimedia machines. But MS was pissed at them because they included Netscape as well as IE on the default load. Every NEC made for six monthe before Win95 would not work with Win95 unless you did a manual install, one device or device group at a time. It took about 8 hours to do. NEC eventually came out with a BIOS update that changed just the header bits, and the problem went away. Too late, their name had been ruined.

Paying people to run around conventions with a floppy with a program that locked up OS/2 2.0's user interface (Not the OS, just the interface, as most can't tell the difference). Yes, proven they actually hired and paid people to do this! (OS/2 fans, when Win95 came out, returned the favor. Stupid, but at least they were not paid by IBM to do so.) When 3.0 (the first OS/2 called Warp) came out, it had a feature that detected that kind of lockup, and refocused the screen to clear it after 5-10 seconds. There are several other tricks they did to stall OS/2, just ask any of the remaining devotees (have a spare hour or two).

"DOS isn't done 'till Lotus won't run!" - Excel vs. 123 days.

Several others, these are just some of the ones that really show MS's nasty side.

I expect a Linux virus before a Mac one, though. There's more money in the Server than the desktop, and Linux threatens that far more than Mac (even with the Xserve), but if Apple gets a cheap box out AND gets to over 10% market share, they will become target #1, as MS remembers it leveraged into servers from the desktop.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
It's "viruses," and no.
It is, in fact, "viruses". You are correct. "Virii" is not a word.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to consider this. However, were they to be caught actually doing it, I'd imagine that even the Supreme Court would have to go through with the corporate death penalty that they can technically impose (by ordering the corporate charter to be revoked) but haven't done in decades.

In short, MS might consider it, but if they were to get caught they'd lose everything. They wouldn't go through with doing it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 12:09 AM

but you have to think, the kind of people who know a Mac well enough to exploit its weaknesses probably won't do a thing to harm a Mac. Admit it, Mac is a cult. I don't think Microsoft would ever do this, it's just a stupid move. They already have a good reputation of breaking the law, I don't think that they want to keep fueling that fire.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
For the life of me, I cannot understand why microsoft has not attacked our operating system, because it is so easy to do.
Because Microsoft is not really threatened by the MacOS, even with the "threat" of an entry-level Mac. Besides, this "entry-level" Mac has relatively low specs when looking at some PCs at similar prices and is more comparable to a $3-$400 PC than a $500 one.

insha
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 10:14 AM

M$ can't create anything except crapware!

Although, I would like to see the reaction/counter-attack from the Mac community (if any) when they do create a virus for the Mac. Hmmm...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
First tin hat posting of the year! Congrats!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 10:20 AM

No one's done it in the political lounge yet? You'll find some real nuts there. And a lot of them.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Xaositect:
Having been in this game (tech support) for a while, I remember all sorts of fun things MS has done:

Every patch for windows, even security patches, breaking Lotus Notes when MS was pushing Exchange Server.

When Win95 shipped, NEC made one of the best featured and most stable Win3.11 home multimedia machines. But MS was pissed at them because they included Netscape as well as IE on the default load. Every NEC made for six monthe before Win95 would not work with Win95 unless you did a manual install, one device or device group at a time. It took about 8 hours to do. NEC eventually came out with a BIOS update that changed just the header bits, and the problem went away. Too late, their name had been ruined.

Paying people to run around conventions with a floppy with a program that locked up OS/2 2.0's user interface (Not the OS, just the interface, as most can't tell the difference). Yes, proven they actually hired and paid people to do this! (OS/2 fans, when Win95 came out, returned the favor. Stupid, but at least they were not paid by IBM to do so.) When 3.0 (the first OS/2 called Warp) came out, it had a feature that detected that kind of lockup, and refocused the screen to clear it after 5-10 seconds. There are several other tricks they did to stall OS/2, just ask any of the remaining devotees (have a spare hour or two).

"DOS isn't done 'till Lotus won't run!" - Excel vs. 123 days.

Several others, these are just some of the ones that really show MS's nasty side.

I expect a Linux virus before a Mac one, though. There's more money in the Server than the desktop, and Linux threatens that far more than Mac (even with the Xserve), but if Apple gets a cheap box out AND gets to over 10% market share, they will become target #1, as MS remembers it leveraged into servers from the desktop.
Now *this* is some scary stuff. I would love to hear more stories like these if they really are true... very depressing.

Was there any talk of who actually directed those people to take down OS/2?

And how does one even disable a single program at the OS level? Wouldn't it break a whole lot of other programs, if Lotus used standard OS system calls?

Originally posted by Millennium:
I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to consider this. However, were they to be caught actually doing it, I'd imagine that even the Supreme Court would have to go through with the corporate death penalty that they can technically impose (by ordering the corporate charter to be revoked) but haven't done in decades.
I never knew the Supreme Court could do this... do you think under the current administration, who gave Microsoft a pretty sweet deal with the antitrust lawsuit, that Microsoft would really have this done to them?

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
but you have to think, the kind of people who know a Mac well enough to exploit its weaknesses probably won't do a thing to harm a Mac. Admit it, Mac is a cult.
I actually tend to agree, but given enough money, one can get a person to do many things that person would not normally do. Microsoft has enough money to get that done.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

They can't do it yet. It hasn't occurred to them. They have to wait for somebody else to do it first, so they can "embrace and extend" the concept.

rezzi
Jan 3, 2005, 04:07 PM

Well, here's the thing; when Apple becomes the dominant platform in approx 4 years, viruses are going to come out of the woodwork. Mac haters will see to that. I just hope Jobbers stays away from the darkside and not turn his company into the next evil empire.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by rezzi:
Well, here's the thing; when Apple becomes the dominant platform in approx 4 years, viruses are going to come out of the woodwork. Mac haters will see to that. I just hope Jobbers stays away from the darkside and not turn his company into the next evil empire.

You were saying...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules