Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mouse stopped working, reboot/new mouse, no dice!

Mouse stopped working, reboot/new mouse, no dice!
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2005, 12:35 AM

I've got an iMac all in one crt type which worked fine, but by chance when attempting to log onto a website as I was typing the password info and then went to grab the mouse to click "login", the mouse cursor on the screen was unresponsive. Keyboard commands work fine, but the mouse functionality is lost. I recently (two weeks ago) added a printer/scanner to my setup and thought maybe I didn't have enough juice, mouse is running off the keyboard port (Apple keyboard) and so I disconnected the mouse from there and plugged into the port on the side of the iMac, keyboard on one, mouse on the other. Still no activity. Switch ports, keyboard commands work fine but mouse still no go. I happen to have three computers, so I plugged in a different USB mouse (two optical and one with a ball) and none work. Restart... Nothing, mouse cursor frozen in upper corner of screen as if no mouse is present.

Here I am on Google looking for something... ANYTHING to help, nothing. Reset PRAM on the iMac, nothing. Go out and do some yard work, come back to my 17" Powerbook and shake my Apple BT mouse, laptop screen wakes (laptop never sleeps) and by coincidence, that is all I get out of it. No mouse on my laptop all of a sudden!!! Now I am freaking out. All three of my computers are on different connections in the home used for three distinctly different purposes. My laptop losing the BT connection, that has happened once before, so I calmly go to my trackpad and NO activity comes from my trackpad, although my BT keyboard gets a response. In a nutshell though I restart my laptop and when it comes back, I have a mouse again AND my BT mouse works fine. Just throwing this in since it is highly unusual to begin with to happen to one computer, but to two is almost paranormal or something :) Back to the issue at hand though, any other suggestions as to what else I could try to regain functionality of my mouse on the iMac which even after a restart does not recognize a CORDED USB mouse which does work fine on the other computers? I am at a complete loss! As an added bonus, the optical mice also show the red light while connected to my iMac, so they are getting some juice of some sort. Like I say, I am at a complete loss! ANY help appreciated!

Rey :)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2005, 01:09 AM

Boot the machine holding down the option key. Can you move the mouse from there? If so, you have a software problem. If not, you have a hardware problem.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules