Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Tiger and Java speed

Tiger and Java speed
I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 30, 2005, 04:22 AM

Java is very slow on 10.3.x (compared to linux or windows).
Did anyone see performance enhancements on 10.4?

I have to recommend a Notebook for a scientist friend. She wants something easy to handle, but has to do quite some java developement. I hesitate a little to recommend a Powerbook. Although it is a great machine and I use mine for years to develop java applications, I must say that my IBM T40 executes java at twice the speed (although c executes at comparable speed). Since we are dealing with performance critical spacecraft simulations, execution speed can be an issue.

But: a sony notebook, for example, that would be the other choice, under suse linux, will be the same time sucker that my ibm is when it comes to os upgrades or gpu configuration (or any other change in the stable system). I am sure my friend will give these tasks to me .

So everything lives or dies with java performance. Whats your experience with the new system?

Propofol
Apr 30, 2005, 12:19 PM

FWIW, I have noticed a HUGE decrease in launch speed in Azureus - very happy. It used to take 20-30s for the main window to show up, but now it's less than 8s.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 12:28 PM

The new 1.5 JVM for Tiger is also supposed to bring some speed improvements.

I was David B.  (op)
May 1, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Thats also true for all other platforms. 1.5 is a little bit faster.

Launch speed has improved? Thats good news. Do you also use 1.5 or still 1.4?

thefamousmred
May 1, 2005, 12:43 PM

What has to be fast? The correct answer is not "everything," from your description I would guess that you don't care about, say, sound input performance. So what are your specific requirements, or the specific bottlenecks that you're worried about?

Drawing is generally a hot issue; Java drawing is far faster on 10.4 than on 10.3, especially if you enable hardware acceleration for the app. We're talking at least an order of magnitude faster. On the other hand, if she's using JOGL for the UI or there's no UI at all, that might not matter.

I was David B.  (op)
May 1, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by thefamousmred
What has to be fast? The correct answer is not "everything," from your description I would guess that you don't care about, say, sound input performance. So what are your specific requirements, or the specific bottlenecks that you're worried about?

Drawing is generally a hot issue; Java drawing is far faster on 10.4 than on 10.3, especially if you enable hardware acceleration for the app. We're talking at least an order of magnitude faster. On the other hand, if she's using JOGL for the UI or there's no UI at all, that might not matter.
What has to be fast?
Scientific simulations are mostly about number crunching, loops and gui output. Also writing results to files or drawing function graphs on the screen.

What do you mean with drawing? Gui performance oder java 2d? My impression was that rendering is very slow on the mac. That has been improved?

toffe
Forum Regular
May 7, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine

At first when I saw this thread i got the chills, (haven't bougth my first mac yet, but is working on it) Since the main reason for me to use a computer is to develop java.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 01:30 PM

Heh, I've used OS X to develop Java for a living since Public Beta, believe it or not.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2005, 01:39 PM

I concur. OSX is a WONDERFUL platform to develop (and use) Java on!!!!

insha
Senior User
May 15, 2005, 11:01 AM

Am I missing something in my clean install of Tiger? I don't see Java 1.5 only 1.3.1 and 1.4.2

Do I have to install Java 1.5 separately from the Tiger DVD or do I have to download it from Sun?

I was David B.  (op)
May 15, 2005, 05:52 PM

In the meantime I have posted quantitative results here .

I was David B.  (op)
May 20, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by insha
Am I missing something in my clean install of Tiger? I don't see Java 1.5 only 1.3.1 and 1.4.2

Do I have to install Java 1.5 separately from the Tiger DVD or do I have to download it from Sun?
You have to download the java 1.5 update from apple.
But have a look at my results that I posted in the developer center. Maybe you want to think about a java upgrade after reading them.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 20, 2005, 04:17 PM

Don't upgrade to 1.5 is my advice. Besides being slow it's also very buggy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules