Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple and Intel up to something reallllly big???

Apple and Intel up to something reallllly big???
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 09:37 AM

I was reading another of many Apple/Intel/Mactel threads in which Zimphire posted the following link; http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23769 and it sparked a memory from something I had read years ago.

Some of you may help me in my recollection, but... doesn't Steve Jobs have some sort of strong friendship with the guy from Intel? (I forget the blasted guy's name, but a couple of years ago I was reading about one of Jobs' SF conferences in which he had the Intel guy front and center and I thought this was a very interesting relationship at the time.) In that article a couple of years ago it mentioned that the two had been friends for many years. Sure, they are competitors, but do they really "hate" one another as some other articles have suggested? Most people are inclined to believe that Intel and Apple have some extremely deep-seeded hatred for one another and I distinctly remember the article mentioning a friendship between these two giants. After reading that I started thinking; "I wonder if eventually Apple and Intel will collaborate on some monster, hybrid chip or other combined venture?" Now, I read Zimph's posting and I'm reminded of that old suspicion. Maybe I'm a diehard enthusiast or deliberately naive, but I think there's more to this little transition than meets the eye. Intel is indeed watching it's clientele moonlight with AMD. All it would really take is a friendship, mutual vision, some financial clout, and a little desire and these two entities could really shake the tree if they combined their efforts. Plus, I'd really hate to see Apple rendered simply a software company.

Is this possible? Could Intel really become loyal to Apple in seeing the demise of the competition? I mean, could they really be up to something bigger than we know?
ebuddy

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 09:40 AM

We shall see.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 09:46 AM

I think so. I thought so as soon as I heard the annoucement. The risks of this are astronomical for Steve Jobs, so there almost HAS to be more than meets the eye.

We know that Apple will vendor lock with Intel. That has to make Intel happy.

We know that Intel has become frustrated because they haven't found an avenue for their newer technologies. Apple will want the latest and greatest. This has to make Intel happy.

I'm sure Intel feels sick of being Pigeon-Holed into simply making faster versions of a processor it came up with 25 years ago.

Enter Apple;

Apple see's tremendous opportunity in eating Linux's cake, taking its applications, and going head to head with Windows.

But THERES STILL MORE WE DON'T KNOW... the anticipation is killing me!!!

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TampaDeveloper
I think so. I thought so as soon as I heard the annoucement. The risks of this are astronomical for Steve Jobs, so there almost HAS to be more than meets the eye.

We know that Apple will vendor lock with Intel. That has to make Intel happy.

We know that Intel has become frustrated because they haven't found an avenue for their newer technologies. Apple will want the latest and greatest. This has to make Intel happy.

I'm sure Intel feels sick of being Pigeon-Holed into simply making faster versions of a processor it came up with 25 years ago.

Enter Apple;

Apple see's tremendous opportunity in eating Linux's cake, taking its applications, and going head to head with Windows.

But THERES STILL MORE WE DON'T KNOW... the anticipation is killing me!!!
Yeah. iNewton.

What?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 09:49 AM

Dell has seen the writing on the wall and tried to pre-empt Apple by announcing, just a few days ago, its intent to produce upmarket PCs. Well, Dell, you can put lipstick on a pig but that won’t make it more appealing.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:00 PM

Yes, I think that there is a possibility of something big coming from this relationship. We just have to be patient and give the transition time to occur.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 12:21 PM

I'm shocked. Steve Jobs has buddies at Intel ? Whodathunkit ?

-t

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2005, 12:32 PM

Why do people constantly think any of these cats actually hate each other? This stuff is rarely personal, it's business.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 12:47 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine who's always been interested in Apple but prefer Linux and that is almost the only thing he uses. He said several of his friends(all Linux geeks™) were excited about this move because of the possibilities it gave them. He said several of them were seriously thinking about buying Apple made computers after the transition(if everything pans out like expected) because of the possibilities it gives them. I was a bit surprised by that as this is a guy who prefers to build his own computers as cheap as possible as well as most his friends. Maybe this will help Apple gain some marketshare and that can only be a good thing.

ps. maybe it helped that he got an iPod for Christmas

pps. the first thing he did was to put some linux on it and started writing apps for it

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MallyMal
This stuff is rarely personal, it's business.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 02:29 PM

Something REALLY BIG ?

I heard they are working on flying pigs...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=259416

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 03:02 PM

Intel will buy out Apple for OSX and iPod/iTunes and sell their own brand of systems, dumping Macintosh in the process.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 04:00 PM

My prediction in about 2 years Apple, Intel and PC venders will start a secret project to run OS X on standard PCs in competion with Microsoft, in the process the Mac as we know it will die and Apple will become the evil supercorperation M$ that we have been fighting.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 04:04 PM

All we need is another proprietary chip. Even when intel is making chips for Apple it will account for what of their total output? 1% Maybe?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Intel will buy out Apple for OSX and iPod/iTunes and sell their own brand of systems, dumping Macintosh in the process.

-t

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein

You left out the part where they build a clone army...

Anyhoo...if it comes true I have my old computer collection to fall back on (Commodore 64, Atari 800XL, Atari 65XE...)

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
... and Apple will become the evil supercorperation M$ that we have been fighting.
This "M$" stuff... it makes no sense to me.

I have been working about 50-50 with PCs and Macs for many years, and Apple has easily gotten 20 times the amount of my money than Microsoft ever has.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2005, 05:20 PM

Thread started after announcement in effect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules