Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how could the x86 build of OSX not leak over all these years of development?

how could the x86 build of OSX not leak over all these years of development? (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2005, 09:07 AM

And what happens if/when Apple releases OS X for that same cheap hardware? I think they will commercially "sucker punch" Microsoft with it. And since OS X for x86 will be on the market before MS is ready to release Longhorn, I really don't see Longhorn as a viable OS. Personal opinion-just my 2¢ worth.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
apple really cant keep anything under wraps all that tight. that has been proven.

unless they chained the people into that room and forced them to not leave in the past 5 years, how could no information, builds, etc leak about this?

just a little skepticism.

Because it wasn't all that interesting... Anybody that had a brain knew where OSX came from, and could therefore assume that it worked on x86 even to this day.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
And what happens if/when Apple releases OS X for that same cheap hardware? I think they will commercially "sucker punch" Microsoft with it. And since OS X for x86 will be on the market before MS is ready to release Longhorn, I really don't see Longhorn as a viable OS. Personal opinion-just my 2¢ worth.
Except that you're theory forgets to consider that Apple only needs to worry about its own hardware configurations, not EVERY hardware configuration.

I bet MS could have Longhorn out within a few months if it only had to work on one PC configuration.

Vice Versa, if OSX had to run on all hardware, we would be seeing it sometime in late 2035.

darwin23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 11:03 AM

Al Gore kept it in his "Lock Box", you don't want to know what else he has in there.

Let's just say Tipper likes to get stoned and take pictures.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Cheap, off-the-shelf hardware.

-t
Yeah. Windows users don't have to pay $500 for a SCSI card that's identical to the $99 version.

In any event, I hear rumors that the new Macs will be able to use off-the-shelf video cards and such provided the drivers exist (Linux's problem.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 06:11 PM

How could the build not been leaked all these years ?

Come on now, the answer is fairly obvious. It's been locked up in a room for the past 5 years.

It's not like some asshat "developer" leaking the latest OS X build to some bittorrent site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules