Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Venture Capital

Venture Capital
TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 02:22 PM

Can anybody provide me with guidance on finding an investor for a software product I am developing?

Thanks!

micahgartman
Jun 10, 2005, 04:34 PM

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TampaDeveloper
Can anybody provide me with guidance on finding an investor for a software product I am developing?

Thanks!
Write a business plan. At the very least, prepare an executive summary.

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by micahgartman

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 06:15 PM

If at all possible find a different way to finance your idea. With Venture (Vulture) Capital you'll be lucky if you own 5-10% of your company once they're done with you. I looked into it in great detail when I started my own business and in the end decided to finance it myself. This means working two jobs, but it also means that the reward for my idea is mine (and my partners) alone.

osxisfun
Jun 10, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
If at all possible find a different way to finance your idea. With Venture (Vulture) Capital you'll be lucky if you own 5-10% of your company once they're done with you. I looked into it in great detail when I started my own business and in the end decided to finance it myself. This means working two jobs, but it also means that the reward for my idea is mine (and my partners) alone.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 06:21 PM

If you have to ask us, you're not going to get VC money.

Generally, businesses that are going to grow extremely rapidly, and will probably IPO within a few years are the candidates for VC. The stages they go through are self-financing/friends/family for the first few tens of thousands of dollars at least, then angels, then VC.

Small businesses, those that don't have a realistic hope of making millions in revenues in a few years, generally stay in that first round, and had better damn well be profitable within a year or so, or else they're probably going to fail, as most do.

As for VC taking equity in the company, well duh. Who is going to give you millions of dollars, when you're expected to burn through it in months, without demanding a large share of the stock in return? They're in it to make money, not give it away for fun.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules