Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carrying around PB to classes? help please

Carrying around PB to classes? help please
LadyBlue
Jan 20, 2004, 12:23 AM

I was wondering, what is the best way to carry around a PB for classes. I have a sleeve and was going to put it in my backpack. (Put books closer to my back and PB farther away)

Between classes I was thinking about putting it to sleep. Is that a good idea? (I really don't know, so I figured might as well ask so I don't break it).

Also any suggestings for if it may rain?

Thanks ^_^
I <3 Macs!

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by LadyBlue:
I have a sleeve and was going to put it in my backpack ...

Between classes I was thinking about putting it to sleep. Is that a good idea? ...

Also any suggestings for if it may rain?
I use a sleeve with my 12" in a backpack too, in fact, that's how I transport my pb everyday and
I've no problems with it. I think your backpack + the sleeve should make it very water resistant? Which sleeve did you get?

Putting the PB to sleep is absolutely fine, in fact, I very rarely power down my pb at all, it just sleeps during my commutes. Once or twice a week, I reboot the thing just to keep on top of things ... just in case

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 03:21 AM

I just use a backpack that has a compartment for my PowerBook. I use an InCase backpack. They're pretty nice. It works well for me.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2004, 08:33 AM

I have a backpack with a laptop compartment and it works great.

If you have just a sleeve, then I would put the largest item -probably the laptop, unless you have a 12" model- closest to your back. This is the most space-efficient method (since the largest part of the bag will be closest to your back), and your back will provide a relatively rigid support for the PB, so the impact of books shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to handle the backpack as carefully as you would the laptop.

Putting the Ti to sleep between classes should not be a problem. Just make sure to invest in a copy of OmniOutliner for note-taking; that was some of the best money I've ever spent on software.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 10:16 AM

I use the tom bihn monolith sleeve with a regular water proof (pvc lined) backpack. No problems so far (knocks on wood), I like the tombihn sleeve because it has the plastic shell outside the padding sorta like padded tupperware.

LadyBlue  (op)
Jan 20, 2004, 12:17 PM

Thanks a bunch.
I have a PB 12" and a incase sleeve. So I guess I should be all set.
I <3 Macs!

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Just make sure to invest in a copy of OmniOutliner for note-taking; that was some of the best money I've ever spent on software.
A copy of OmniOutliner (among other things) comes with the new powerbooks (I got a copy with my 12" 1Ghz anyways), so she should be more than set

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 02:20 PM

I'd think twice about putting a PB in a sleeve inside another case with other stuff. Any stress on the bag might put stress on the sleeve and cause problems. Imagine a full backpack with a sleeve stuffed in it and the guy wearing the backpack bending over at the waste to pick up something. That backpack is going to be flexed in a few different ways. I wouldn't want the flex to impact the laptop.

My $0.02.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 02:35 PM

LadyBlue: Hey I have a friend down there in Austin. She absolutely loves it. Beautiful city. I love Spider House coffee.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by LadyBlue:
Thanks a bunch.
I have a PB 12" and a incase sleeve. So I guess I should be all set.
Just remember to always be aware that you're carrying your laptop, ie don't fling the backpack around, or set it down sharply on any hard surface, don't put if somewhere where it'll be sat or leaned on.

It's nice to have a backpack that isn't obviously a computer bag, gives you a little bit of added protection from being ripped off. Just be sure to make frequent backups that you don't carry around in your backpack.

Are you covered for theft in some way, either homeowners (parents??) or renters insurance, or perhaps safeware.com? Not that it's likely to happen (Apple forbid!) but you'd better be aware of the risk...

krux`
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 03:46 PM

i had the same problem, the problem of trying to find a suitable case for going to class, and going to farther destinations,, my result? buying 2 cases. Immensly happy with both

http://homepage.mac.com/krux/PhotoAlbum16.html
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
A copy of OmniOutliner (among other things) comes with the new powerbooks (I got a copy with my 12" 1Ghz anyways), so she should be more than set
You're right. OmniOutliner is awesome. I use it for all of my to-do lists and it really suits the way I think. The only problem is it doesn't sync with a PDA.

LadyBlue  (op)
Jan 20, 2004, 05:29 PM

The most I carry around in my backpack is a 4 subject spiral, a bottle of water (on the outside) and some random stuff for classes.

I didn't think about the homeowners insurance. I need to check into that. Thanks amazing ^_^
I <3 Macs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules