Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Word makes me look like a better student (?)

MS Word makes me look like a better student (?)
Jaey
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 05:21 PM

I have this paper for school due in a few days. I wrote the first few drafts in Appleworks, but then I found out that the teacher wanted them in MS Word. So I copied, pasted, did my re-formatting, and now my paper is three pages longer.
Why?

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2004, 05:29 PM

I would guess that it is because of one of two things:

1) Word's margins are set larger that AppleWorks, so fewer characters can fit in a line in Word.

2) Word's kerning is larger by default, so there is more space in between letters.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 05:31 PM

I hate it when people want stuff in Word and don't accept PDF.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Or when they won't accept documents at all, period, because they're worried about getting macro viruses, and when I ask RTF? they reply WTF!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Or when they won't accept documents at all, period, because they're worried about getting macro viruses, [...]
Not in Germany. Here they always want Word. Irregardless macro viruses, irregardless that it is part of a �500 software package (they just assume this is somehow always on every computer and everybody has it) etc. It's like dealing with complete idiots. But if you don't send Word, you won't get the job.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 05:46 PM

Well, in schools, there is a reason: many professors like to make comments directly in the text and send it back.

And yes, this is possible with Acrobat, but that's a different discussion.
Btw, Acrobat 6 suxx so bad performance wise, I hate to use it to edit PDFs...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 05:49 PM

... irregardless ...
OT: Hey Developer, das Wort gibt es nicht

Ist doppeltgemoppelt ! "regardless" reicht !

Schoenen Feierabend !
-t

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
OT: Hey Developer, das Wort gibt es nicht

Ist doppeltgemoppelt ! "regardless" reicht !
I know. I use this word in memory of the PlaySoundIrregardless() function.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 05:59 PM

Well, in schools, there is a reason: many professors like to make comments directly in the text and send it back.
Okay, so what's wrong with RTF?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 06:25 PM

Does RTF support comments the way Word docs do?

Support for this is in Word v.X is kind of irritating, in terms of usability... but at least it looks like Word 2004 will handle comments more like Word 2003 on Win does.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2004, 10:19 AM

Read The Freakin' WHAT ?

But you are right, nothing's wrong with RTF.
It's just not being used very often for that purpose. I suppose many professors don't even know that you could use it.

-t

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 11:02 AM

Not in Germany. Here they always want Word
Someone I knew came up with an elegant solution to this problem. He wrote the document in LaTeX (which was what he wanted to use), and then embedded the resulting postscript file into a Word document.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Richard Edgar:
Someone I knew came up with an elegant solution to this problem. He wrote the document in LaTeX (which was what he wanted to use), and then embedded the resulting postscript file into a Word document.
Uhm, how does that work ?
Can the text inside Word still be edited and commented on ?
I'd say that's not possible, right ?

Btw, you could also put a PDF document inside a Word document, at least on a Mac. I don't know if that works on PCs though...
And again, everything's fix then.

So not relly a solution in the case that editing or commenting is needed.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
Does RTF support comments the way Word docs do?

Support for this is in Word v.X is kind of irritating, in terms of usability... but at least it looks like Word 2004 will handle comments more like Word 2003 on Win does.
Ah, but you see, RTF files can be opened by Word. Then the prof can save in Word format with all his comments if he/she wants. But since the file came into his machine as an RTF file, he doesn't have to worry about big bad evil viruses coming from it. If he wants to send the Word doc back to me, well that's fine since I am intelligent enough to know how to avoid getting macro viruses in Word docs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2004, 03:50 PM

Ah, but you see, RTF files can be opened by Word. Then the prof can save in Word format with all his comments if he/she wants. But since the file came into his machine as an RTF file, he doesn't have to worry about big bad evil viruses coming from it. If he wants to send the Word doc back to me, well that's fine since I am intelligent enough to know how to avoid getting macro viruses in Word docs.
That raises an important question:

Who is more likely to spread a virus ?
A student or a professor ?

Although the student would be the obvious first choice, I'm not sure.
Many professors don't have a clue about computers. A virus will slip in and through faster than with some students...

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 09:25 PM

That raises an important question:

Who is more likely to spread a virus ?
A student or a professor ?

Although the student would be the obvious first choice, I'm not sure.
Many professors don't have a clue about computers. A virus will slip in and through faster than with some students...

-t
Yeah, but Word has a feature where you can have it warn you before any macros get executed. With that thing on, I don't worry too much about macro viruses since I never allow any macros to run.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2004, 09:30 AM

Yeah, but Word has a feature where you can have it warn you before any macros get executed. With that thing on, I don't worry too much about macro viruses since I never allow any macros to run.
True, for Word that's quite useful.

For Excel though, that function is plain useless to me.
As an Excel poweruser, many of my files contain macros.
In an office-environment with a lot of file sharing, you can never know if someone contaminated the file.
The only solution is an up-to-date Antivirus program...

So again, what speaks AGAINST Word in the first place, besides ideology ?

-t

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 10:17 AM

Can the text inside Word still be edited and commented on ?
I'd say that's not possible, right ?
I would very much doubt it.
So not relly a solution in the case that editing or commenting is needed
I'd say it was an excellent solution. If the specification was simply 'must be in Word format' it fulfils the requirement to the letter. I believe this sometimes goes by the label 'malicious compliance.'
So again, what speaks AGAINST Word in the first place, besides ideology?
Do you mean apart from the fact that Word documents look terrible, and generally seem to take ten times the disk space that is really needed?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2004, 04:50 PM

So again, what speaks AGAINST Word in the first place, besides ideology ?
Because it introduced the concept of plain old documents having viruses in them. Resulting in many outbreaks of viruses everywhere, and making people paranoid to accept documents from me (not realizing that RTF can't harbor viruses like Word docs can - people don't understand that things like this are specific to formats like Word which have macros or other executable code in them). If the ability to run macros in documents had been off by default, and could be turned on by power users, this would never have been a problem. I'd venture a guess that about 99% of Office users never use macros for anything except for getting infected by viruses, yet it's on by default. The default setting should be that they don't run, period. No dialog boxes, they just don't run unless you change the settings.

Plus, the fact that .doc is a completely closed format, and you can't write a third-party editor for it without reverse-engineering the format, the fact that the thing hogs a huge amount of disk space and RAM (less of an issue these days, admittedly), the fact that its interface is terrible and completely non-standard, and the fact that MS kills the competition using cut-throat means, resulting in less choice for the user...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 05:14 PM

... but I like Wordperfect better and now I must to use m$ oriffice�

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

If your document is fairly simple consisting of mostly text, just use TextEdit and save as a Word document with the .doc extension. This assumes you are running 10.3.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 01:19 AM

RTF files will open with MS Word (both Mac and Windows version) just as a native file. On the PC, it will even show the file as a Word document and icon.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 01:31 AM

Sure... but I've had experience where these comments are used in generating further revisions of a document, so the professor/colleague/manager/customer/whoever will send back a Word doc with comments anyway.

In situations where comments aren't used, I fully agree with you that formats such as RTF and PDF should be allowed (if not preferred). I have no love for the DOC format, but people are locked into it through their Microsoft-centric work styles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules