Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express and current network question

Airport Express and current network question
LadyBlue
Feb 9, 2005, 07:34 PM

So I was thinking about getting an Airport Express. But I'm worried if it will work with my current network. Hopefully somebody can help.

Currently I have a built in network in the house. The router (linksys) connects to 3 jacks on the wall which all go to different rooms. I was wondering if I could plug one of the jacks so that it expects to be hooked up with another router. Where that jack ends up, I take an ethernet cord and plug it into the Airport Express.

That way I have the wired network as well as a wireless network around the AE.

I was wondering if its at all possible.

Thanks!
I <3 Macs!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2005, 07:46 PM

Yes, you can do what you suggest. The only thing to watch is to make sure that the cable that eventually goes to the Express is plugged into the Linksys' "Uplink" port. You may also have to mess with the IP address of the Express box; I don't know what its default address is, but it's not likely to be something that's compatible with the Linksys default of 192.168.1.1.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

LadyBlue  (op)
Feb 9, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Yes, you can do what you suggest. The only thing to watch is to make sure that the cable that eventually goes to the Express is plugged into the Linksys' "Uplink" port. You may also have to mess with the IP address of the Express box; I don't know what its default address is, but it's not likely to be something that's compatible with the Linksys default of 192.168.1.1.
YAYS!! ::does a happy dance::

Thanks a bunch!
I <3 Macs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules