Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari can’t open the page. Anyone else having this happen in Tiger?

Safari can’t open the page. Anyone else having this happen in Tiger?
Stingrey
Forum Regular
May 27, 2005, 08:36 AM

Just noticed that I'm getting the below on servers that are definitely not busy. Replaced the URL for security purposes, so the xxx does not stand for an adult URL in this case :)

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “https://www.xxx.com/j_security_check” because the network connection was reset, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

Rey :)

P.S. this didn't happen before Tiger, not that it is related. Could be coincidence. On the other hand, the two mouse cursors at random while using Safari with my dual display setup never happened before Tiger either.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 09:13 AM

Yes, I find that it is happening to me frequently under 10.4. And it happens so quickly after clicking the link, it's like Safari isn't even trying to open it. I have also opened Safari and Firefox and loaded sites in both, and had Safari give the error while Firefox opened the page.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2005, 09:29 AM

Yep, that's what drew me to post... It happens almost immediately after clicking "submit" or "log in" or whatever the button happens to be. Thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar situation and yours is exactly what I'm experiencing. Anyone else?

Rey

BTW, are you connected directly to the net, or are you using wireless of some sort? Using Airport Extreme here if that happens to play into this somehow. On a 17" PB, wasn't having this happen ever before hand, now after Tiger happens at least once per day it seems.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stingrey
are you connected directly to the net, or are you using wireless of some sort?
At home, I have cable, and using an Airport Extreme as my router. Wireless on the Powerbook, but the G5 is connected via a switch. Also happens when using the Powerbook at work, either wired or wireless.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 10:45 AM

I get that error frequently on one HTTPS site I have to use. A refresh or two will clear it but it pops up again quickly. Definitely seems to be a Safari bug, one which I haven't found a solution to, unfortunately.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 10:45 AM

I get a lot of messages saying "not connected to the internet" or "can't connect to the internet" which never happened in Panther 10.3.9 but happen regularly in Tiger 10.4.1.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 27, 2005, 12:06 PM

Yes, regularly.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
May 27, 2005, 04:27 PM

Happens here, mostly with SSL sites. Some sites look really wierd when they first load (no background, all bold text) then it all "snaps" into place at the end.

I've also noticed it takes longer for Tiger to re-establish its Airport connection than Panther took.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Butch Hauke
May 27, 2005, 09:08 PM

Yes, it happens to me on my bank's website. It's the only place I've had it happen, but it's very annoying.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

aclaunch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 10:31 PM

Same problem here, especially with a https work site. I've tried clearing the cache, etc but nothing much works. Firefox/Camino/OmniWeb all work fine on the same site. Lots of other threads on this elsewhere; it seems to be a Safari bug.

Alan

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 05:51 PM

had that 2...also a strange hang on some site

Abit667
Forum Regular
May 29, 2005, 01:07 AM

Yeah it happens a lot sometimes, really annoying.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 01:52 AM

me too. Seems like safari might give up a bit too soon now or something.

-Owl

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Yes, it happens to me on my bank's website. It's the only place I've had it happen, but it's very annoying.

Butch
I'll second this.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2005, 12:31 PM

Same here. Happens with my bank now, when it did not in Panther. I usually use Camino or Firefox to do bank jive, now.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2005, 02:32 PM

Me too...

I've never seen it happen with SSL, but just regular web browsing (especially forums using the same vBulleting software as this one). The problem I am seeing is a timeout after about 10 seconds. I can navigate the same site concurrently with Firefox with no issues, so it's definitely Safari.

Lew
Senior User
May 30, 2005, 06:13 AM

I get it with my bank's website as well (worked fine under Panther).

The other one I've been getting for ages (and have done under several earlier versions of Safari) is:

"Safari could not open the page because it could not load any data from this location".

I'm thinking that this could be related to the problem of certain page elements not loading, with the activity monitor showing them as "zero byte resource". I don't believe the problem to be my internet connection (3Mbps cable) or network as I have had no such problems with other browsers, and IE6 on my PC works fine as well.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 07:24 AM

I'm almost certain it has nothing to do with our connections since it (for me anyhow and a couple of others) only started happening after upgrading to Tiger. For those that upgraded, did you do a clean or an archive/install? I did an archive/upgrade. Not that it makes a difference I suppose, but just in case that helps somehow.

Rey

Forum Links
Forum Rules